What is your job/career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother Iwill lift a glass to you tonight:cheers: . I know how hard that job is. In the six years I did a similar job (transmission shop) I went from a non-smoker to a 2 pack a day habit!:chained:

I used to say that some day I would like to have a job where I could pick up the phone and not know that every person calling me was angry:banghead: .

BTW I have since stopped smoking:D

Hey brother, did that job make you cuss out loud sometimes?;)

Teacher

Moved to Los Angeles to become a movie star...not an actor...A MOVIE STAR!!!!

Now I'm a 6th and 7th grade Math teacher in Los Angeles (East L.A.) and write kids programs, novels and screenplays.

Hey brother, did that job make you cuss out loud sometimes?;)

Did it ever. No one ever calls a transmission shop unless they are in the midst of a real crisis.

I was not even aware of any change in my vocabulary until one night at family worship my 2 1/2 yo daughter was praying and she said; "Amen. Oh damn i forgot to pray for bumpy and nanny!"

Trust me that is a real wake-up call to a dad.

After that I repented and apologised to her and I guess that really made an impression. A few months later she was in the shop and heard one of my most foul-mouthed mechanics take the Lords name in vain. She walked up to him and pulled on his sleave to get his attention then she said "Jesus does not like us to use his name that way." He was so shocked. He apolagised to her and actually started to cry. Later he came to see me in the office with tears in his eyes and begged me to pray for him that he would stop swearing in front of his own kids. Out of the mouths of babes, eh.

Hospital Corpsman 1st class in the United States Navy.
I'm an advanced medical laboratory technician.(NEC 8506)

Since we're doing "get to know you" threads like What is your age?, I thought I would start one on vocations.

What do you do for a livin'?

Professor of Physics at a small mainline-related college in Iowa... after my undergrad degree, did the usual graduate school (Northwestern University) and postdoctoral research (Cornell University) thing before taking my present job, where I've been for four years. I absolutely love the teaching I do, and every opportunity I have to quietly serve the students who need the most support at this place - the faithful, Bible-believing Christian kids.

Todd

This could be helpful folks

What would you all do if you had a good degree (finance from U of Michigan) were almost 40 and am in seminary looking to be a church planter. My resume looks like garbage (shame) and am now I'm looking again with something that will provide tuition reimbursement, health, and about $30G. I got it in me but where to go? Praying about this consistently and know there's something out there for me.

Current occupation: Gas station clerk (more shame) at about $7.00 an hour before tax! HEP ME!

Thanks

I.T. at Local Chattanooga Hospital
Analyst / Report Writer / Programmer
B.A. Humanities
B.S.N. Nursing

1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

Currently doing sales and admin for a communications company. Previously was in low level customer service and tech support. Hoping to land a real job one of these days.

Currently while in seminary I:

Work at our Seminary's Maintenance department.
Work at our Seminary's Cafeteria.
Work on Saturday's cutting down trees.

In February I will also begin doing my internship at my church.

What would you all do if you had a good degree (finance from U of Michigan) were almost 40 and am in seminary looking to be a church planter. My resume looks like garbage (shame) and am now I'm looking again with something that will provide tuition reimbursement, health, and about $30G. I got it in me but where to go? Praying about this consistently and know there's something out there for me.

Current occupation: Gas station clerk (more shame) at about $7.00 an hour before tax! HEP ME!

Thanks

there are lots of people that can sympathize with you.
i'm 53, over the last 35 years i've spent 5 years in the army, 5 years at a decent job, 5 years at ok jobs that paid the bills, 16 years in higher education (jobs and school often overlapped) and probably 20 years unemployed, which in several ways is a bit worse than $7.00 hr.

the last time i worked a job was nearly 7 years ago. if past experience is any indicator it will take about 2 years just to find another job (average time in the past), several hundred resumes sent out, and 50 job interviews.

if my dad was still alive, his first words to me would be, "so what do you want to be when you grow up?"

but in the mean time, i've read lots of books, raised 6 kids to adulthood, encouraged 3 to finish university degrees, and like you prayed for decades, consistently and constantly for direction and what to do for a Christian calling. I hope God answers before too much longer.

so take heart, you are not alone.

Publications Administrator
Logistics/Haulage Admin
School Truancy Officer
Home Shopping Delivery
Petrol Station Attendent
Civil Servant, PA to Grp Capt, RAF
Civil Servant, Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre
Insurance Customer Service Agent.

Pretty varied.

And, of course, that is just during work hours. I do the work I love in my 'spare time'!

JH

there are lots of people that can sympathize with you.
i'm 53, over the last 35 years i've spent 5 years in the army, 5 years at a decent job, 5 years at ok jobs that paid the bills, 16 years in higher education (jobs and school often overlapped) and probably 20 years unemployed, which in several ways is a bit worse than $7.00 hr.

the last time i worked a job was nearly 7 years ago. if past experience is any indicator it will take about 2 years just to find another job (average time in the past), several hundred resumes sent out, and 50 job interviews.

if my dad was still alive, his first words to me would be, "so what do you want to be when you grow up?"

but in the mean time, i've read lots of books, raised 6 kids to adulthood, encouraged 3 to finish university degrees, and like you prayed for decades, consistently and constantly for direction and what to do for a Christian calling. I hope God answers before too much longer.

so take heart, you are not alone.
I'm in a similar situation, though I have only been in it for perhaps 8 years. And I don't have children. I will pray for you and your family.

I.T. at Local Chattanooga Hospital
Analyst / Report Writer / Programmer
B.A. Humanities
B.S.N. Nursing

Steve what hospital? i several friends who are md's mostly at tri-county (Hutcheson medical centre)

Ok, here goes...

student (OBU - Shawnee, OK. BBA Int'l Business)
intern, Tianjin, PRC
assistant factory mgr, TJ
general mgr, tiny printing company
clinic mgr, Intl SOS
landscaping, Canada
school teacher, tj

my favorite so far is the last one - lots of time with my kids and significant time off (for home projects, etc.)

Though they have all been good learning experiences, the last has been the most fulfilling with regards to my family. I just realised that in one month, I'll have been here ten years. We arrived newlyweds (and me an intern) and now have five children. Wow!

Kevin

Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga, TN

I was born @ Tri-County-Hutcheson, and still live within 10 miles of it. ;)

Steve what hospital? i several friends who are md's mostly at tri-county (Hutcheson medical centre)

Last edited:
This is pretty neat. My son has some very expensive guitars. He taught himself to play a few years ago. He is quite an accomplished player now.

What $$ range do you sell them for Gregg? What types of Woods do you use? How long does it take you per Instrument ?

Woodworker/craftsman (I build mostly guitars):D

Full-Time Student
PT Operations Supervisor for a major shipping company

Or as the saying goes for jobs there, "Part-time is full-time, full-time is all the time."

I'm a journeymen electrician and part-time student. I also recently began publishing puritan books as a hobby/business.

This is pretty neat. My son has some very expensive guitars. He taught himself to play a few years ago. He is quite an accomplished player now.

What $$ range do you sell them for Gregg? What types of Woods do you use? How long does it take you per Instrument ?

I used to have a pretty good website up for a # of years that had most of that info during my heyday, but I took it down recently. The types of guitars I make/made are resonator guitars (acoustic steel guitars) and you can see some of them here.

http://mckennaguitars.blogspot.com/

:sing:

I used to have a pretty good website up for a # of years that had most of that info during my heyday, but I took it down recently. The types of guitars I make/made are resonator guitars (acoustic steel guitars) and you can see some of them here.

http://mckennaguitars.blogspot.com/

:sing:

Interesting. I inherited a 1930's dobro. It has carvings all over the front, back and neck. I've often wondered how much its worth.

Interesting. I inherited a 1930's dobro. It has carvings all over the front, back and neck. I've often wondered how much its worth.

Actually those carvings are sandblasted into the wood. (Without seeing it), it sounds like a model 66 which isn't worth as much as you think (prewar Dobros don't have very high re-sale values unless it is a very rare model like a model 85, 125 or 206).

Most sell for less than $2000.00 high or about $1000.00 low. The squareneck models usually have higher resale values.:detective:

I've owned a couple of Dobros from 1929. One I sold for $1000 and the other around $600.00 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back