What is your favorite study Bible and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedminister

Puritan Board Sophomore
I was wondering about the Bibles most people use on the PB for their personal study. I have several Bibles and different translations but my favorite is my KJV Thompson Chain Reference. Here are the reasons:

1. KJV: preference of underlying text (not KJV only), it's been around a long time, and the beauty of the language.
2. Thompson Chain Reference: the best reference system available, no notes but a lot of study helps, very high quality Bible for the price (especially if you get the genuine leather). :book2:

NKJV MacArthur Study Bible is my favorite as I love reading the explanatory and devotional notes along with the scripture. There are historical and geographical explanations to the text given as well. I've used this one for years and really love it! I do have the Thompson Chain Reference as well and use it occasionally.

I like my Reformation Study Bible (ESV). But, on occasion I still go back to my old Harper's Study Bible (RSV). It has some good notes.

Until about four years ago, I used the NIVSB*, knowing nothing better. It tries, it really does, but spends so much time in on-the-one-hand/on-the-other mode (i.e. "Some Christians believe this passage says ...") that I ended up more aggravated than helped.

I've been using the Reformation Study Bible since, and am happy with it. Bought it because I was becoming interested in the ESV, and it was pretty much the only thing going in an ESV SB. The notes are sound, and the short theology articles make good, concise introductions to topics.

*Nearly Inspired Version Seriously? Bible

I like the ESV Study Bible best because the commentary is good and done by scholars I mostly like and trust (also the hardback for $20 is a great deal) plus I get all the notes and references online too (that is if you buy the book you get all the same resources and more online).

Outside that I do like the MacArthur on some things (not his end-time or view of the gifts). And the Reformation Study is ok, but it is not as thorough as I wish it was.

I mostly use the NKJV for personal study/every day reading, either with one of the three text-alone editions in my home library or the MacArthur Study Bible (which, if one avoids the Dispensational landmines, is a great study Bible).

I'm also partial to the AV and the ESV, which I read with text-alone editions. But I'll probably be picking up an ESV Study Bible soon.

I like both my Reformation Study Bible and my NASB Thompson Chain Reference, although I don't use the notes all too often.

I have an old Ryrie Study Bible from the early 1980's that my wife had rebound for my birthday a few years back. Yes, I know, Ryrie the uber-dispensationalist. The only reason I keep that bible is because I can trace my change from Arminian/Dispensationalism to Calvinism/Covenant Theology. I was in the habit of making notes in the margins and including the date of each note. I have hundreds of notes in my old Ryrie. I can see the progression of my theological understanding and the shift towards Reformed theology over the years. It's fascinating.

I prefer using a regular Bible and a separate commentary. That way i can switch commentaries and i'm not chained to one in particular.

Right now I'm reading KJV, and the Matthew Poole Commentary along side.

The Reformation Study Bible bc Sproul rules!

I have one too and love it. Great translation and reliable study notes. It is probably my second favorite. I wish the ESV would come out in the Thompson Chain-Reference. I contacted Kirkbride Bible Company to see if the dream would come true. They currently have no plans.

The reformation Study Bible has been useful for about 2 years now but I just purchased my 1599 Geneva Study bible and I must admit it has taken the cake, so to speak.

I purchased the ESV study bible last year but the excitement wore of rather quickly. I am not a fan of a lot of the text in there.

The Message study Bible.............. nevery mind. I like my Reformation study Bible. Unfortunately it is so massive that I can not carry it around.

For depth and insight and luxury of feel, I prefer my R.L. Allan full yapp Longprimer Joel Osteen "Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day" Life Coaching Bible with an autograph by the author in the original crayon. It features . . .
India Paper
Black letter type
Centre column references
Ribbon marker
Red under gold page edges
Large, readable type size
Imbedded microchip with a generous a rotation of 12 audio greetings from Mr. Osteen that play when you open the cover (e.g., "Faith activates God - Fear activates the Enemy," "I don't go down the road of condemning," "If we say it long enough eventually we're going to reap a harvest. We're going to get exactly what we're saying," "You may make some mistakes-but that doesn't make you a sinner. You've got the very nature of God on the inside of you," and "When you focus on being a blessing, God makes sure that you are always blessed in abundance.").

Nah . . . I was just funnin' with ya. Lawrence Underwood goes on and on and on and on about his R.L. Allan so much that I couldn't resist.

My fav is the Reformation Study Bible (NKJV) in genuine leather from the man himself, "R.C. SPROUL." I agree with Sarah.

My ESV Study Bible was exciting at first but it is just too inconvenient to carry around and most of what I want is in the Reformation Study Bible.

For depth and insight and luxury of feel, I prefer my R.L. Allan full yapp Longprimer Joel Osteen "Become a Better You: 7 Keys to Improving Your Life Every Day" Life Coaching Bible with an autograph by the author in the original crayon. It features . . .
India Paper
Black letter type
Centre column references
Ribbon marker
Imbedded microchip with a generous a rotation of 12 audio greetings from Mr. Osteen that play when you open the cover (e.g., "Faith activates God - Fear activates the Enemy," "I don't go down the road of condemning," "If we say it long enough eventually we're going to reap a harvest. We're going to get exactly what we're saying," "You may make some mistakes-but that doesn't make you a sinner. You've got the very nature of God on the inside of you," and "When you focus on being a blessing, God makes sure that you are always blessed in abundance.").

Nah . . . I was just funnin' with ya. Lawrence Underwood goes on and on and on and on about his R.L. Allan so much that I couldn't resist.

My fav is the Reformation Study Bible (NKJV) in genuine leather from the man himself, "R.C. SPROUL." I agree with Sarah.

My ESV Study Bible was exciting at first but it is just too inconvenient to carry around and most of what I want is in the Reformation Study Bible.

Thanks, Dennis. I needed that. I really did. Levity is good. I need levity. Especially today. I'm thinking about closing my office door and watching You Tube Three Stooges clips for my sanity's sake.

India Paper
Black letter type
Centre column references
Ribbon marker

Thanks, Dennis. I needed that. I really did. Levity is good. I need levity. Especially today. I'm thinking about closing my office door and watching You Tube Three Stooges clips for my sanity's sake.

Yeah, wise guy!

Wise guy? Who? Lawrence, me, or the boys?

"I can't see, I can't see!" "What's'a'matter!?" "I got my eyes closed." [ploink!]
- Larry, Moe & Curly (ANTS IN THE PANTRY, 1936)

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til ya do suck seed!"
- Curly (MOVIE MANIACS, 1936)

Wise guy? Who? Lawrence, me, or the boys?

"I can't see, I can't see!" "What's'a'matter!?" "I got my eyes closed." [ploink!]
- Larry, Moe & Curly (ANTS IN THE PANTRY, 1936)

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til ya do suck seed!"
- Curly (MOVIE MANIACS, 1936)

Ah! I knew it you are a fan as well!!!

Here is one of my favourite lines of all time:

'I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.'

1599 Geneva.
Uncompromisingly Reformed notes.

Sadly, I don't think the same can be said of the New Geneva/Reformation Study Bible, which is my second favorite (in NKJV, of course).

ESV Study Bible
MacArthur Study Bible

Those seem to be the most thorough, that I have seen anyway.

I can't wait for the Joel Osteen Study Bible to come out though!! It will go well with my Jimmy Swaggart Commentary set.

(ok, that was a joke)

My Logos study Bible ;-), waiting for them to release the ESV Study Bible. Have decided to move away from my large laptop to a Netbook, will make it much easier to bring to church!

NKJV MacArthur Study Bible is my favorite as I love reading the explanatory and devotional notes along with the scripture. There are historical and geographical explanations to the text given as well. I've used this one for years and really love it! I do have the Thompson Chain Reference as well and use it occasionally.

:ditto: Except that I prefer the NASB edition. I also use the RSB-ESV but not as often.

I mostly use my ESV Study Bible and Reformation Study Bible (ESV). I've also got the MacArthur Study Bible (NASB) that I use on occasion for some notes and the archaeology Study Bible (NIV) that I have purely for the articles (I got it as a Christmas gift, so don't throw too many rocks at me). :banana:

I just bought my wife a leather bound Reformation Study Bible. It's a big step up from the NLT Women's study bible she used to own :eek:

Hello PB,

1. NASB '95 - first I pick up
2. ESV Study Bible - I've been adding doctrinal study notes (adding to the bulk)
3. ESV Reformation Study Bible
4. NASB Thompsons - beside my bed, adding study notes into it as well
5. NKJV - used to be beside my bed also, but I loaned out my plain NKJV large print and all I have left is Scofield. :(

humbly,

I mostly use my ESV Study Bible and Reformation Study Bible (ESV). I've also got the MacArthur Study Bible (NASB) that I use on occasion for some notes and the archaeology Study Bible (NIV) that I have purely for the articles (I got it as a Christmas gift, so don't throw too many rocks at me). :banana:

I just bought my wife a leather bound Reformation Study Bible. It's a big step up from the NLT Women's study bible she used to own :eek:

Yeah, I read it for the interviews.

I prefer the Promise Keepers '95 Men's Devotional Bible. It shows me how my salvation is wrapped up in the covenant of works. It also includes new and improved stories about modern sports figures that are missing from the "older" Bibles. :think:

Maybe a little OT, but am I the only minister who lugs my ESV Study Bible (lambskin) up to the pulpit every Lord's Day? I seriously do not mind the heft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back