What is your favorite Happy-Clappy Worship Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smhbbag

Puritan Board Senior
I loathe them, typically. With passion. The kind of loathing that doesn't even allow me to look up while one is playing, for fear that someone might see that I'm present for it.

But, something I realized - when there is something worth Happy-Clapping about, I can actually love them! When Scripture and Christ's Gospel is exalted, the change of pace is actually quite welcome for me in private worship (i.e., not that I'd want to sing such tunes in church).

Here's my current favorite. There is so much in here that I hope gradually seeps in for those who hear it and are not typically looking for a theological lesson.

I love that it focuses not only on our very real connection and identification by faith with saints of the distant past, but also on declaring the gospel. It is an offer, for sure, but unfortunately it stops there for most today. We don't just offer living water; we declare it! In some sense, we don't really ask people to make Christ their lord. We declare that Christ is Lord of everything! And He is coming, riding on the clouds at a great trumpet call. And you will bow your knee and lift your voice and drink his life-giving, sweet water, or your knees will be broken and you will acknowledge His Lordship anyway.

Our gospel preaching must be well-rounded, and this song is a small start at 'sneaking' it into people's minds. I have no idea who the original writers were, or if they're reformed - I'll praise God for them.

[video=youtube;E3kPjbsp4yQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kPjbsp4yQ&feature=related[/video]

Sure, it gets a little (ok, a lot) repetitive at the end...but I can deal with that :)

Father Abraham! Had many sons, many sons had faaaather abraham, I am one of them and so are you, so lets all praise the Lord! on and on and on as long as you want! what could be better?

:sing: Me, I worship Me. :sing: Pick one.

Sigh. After hearing them actually sung in Church, I can't listen to them. They miss the full range of emotions. When I'm happy, A Might Fortress really hits the spot.

We sing that song. I actually like it. I'm not into praise bands and 7-11 singing (7 words repeated 11 times), but I do occasionally like a good belter.

I like "Blessed Be Your Name"

[video=youtube;7Qp11X6LKYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qp11X6LKYY[/video]

and I really like "You Are Holy" though I can barely stand to hear Mike Smith sing it. How a guy found such success singing through his nose I will never understand. I especially like the counter-point of the chorus.

[video=youtube;HCuaQCr0hws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCuaQCr0hws[/video]

Gimme Oil in my Lamp & Gimme That Old Time Religion

Bill and I sing those a lot when we're on road trips and we make up extra verses to the songs. :p

Give Me Oil in my Lamp & Give Me that Old Time Religion

Bill and I sing those a lot when we're on road trips and we make up extra verses to the songs. :p

Oh, and what verses!

let us pray like the old Egyptians,
We'll pray with such convictions
Fill our subways with inscriptions,
And that's good enough for me!

Let us pray like ol Rick Warren,
I say it won't be borin'
With a gospel that is foreign,

Let us pray like the ancient Druids,
While drinkin' nasty fluids
Runnin' naked through the woo(i)ds,

...And so on.

Theognome

Oh, and what verses!

I say it won't be borin'

...And so on.

Theognome

The first verse isn't ours, btw - it's from a movie called A Fool and His Money.
I don't remember if the Druids verse was from that movie or not - I think it might be. The Rick Warren verse is definitely ours.

Last edited:
Keith Green - Scripture Song Medley :applause: :D

[video=youtube;CKX0p2oL4uA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKX0p2oL4uA&feature=PlayList&p=5A7568084C40E6B8&index=9[/video]

I like "Blessed Be Your Name"

Bob, that's one of my favorites, too.

My other favorite is "Shout to the Lord" (Darlene Zschech)

My Jesus, my Savoir, Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I long to praise the wonders of Your mighty love
My comfort, my shelter, tow'r of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am never cease to worship You

Shout to the Lord all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty praise to the King!
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hand
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

my daughter likes this one..

[video=youtube;2cx5YmS7GXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cx5YmS7GXQ&feature=related[/video]

I like this one..though it is not really happy-clappy

[video=youtube;CoxopsRSfdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxopsRSfdU&feature=related[/video]

Oh, and what verses!

I say it won't be borin'

...And so on.

Theognome

LOL !!!!!! This is hilarious

Just try finding a happy-clappy song on utube that doesn't have Christ's image!!! Anyway, I like Jars of Clay or even Andy Griffith's version of "I'll Fly Away".

I haven't sung the Days of Elijah since my pentecostal days! I loved the song at first, but then when it was sung at almost every worship service I grew tired of it. I love the songs "Blessed Be Your Name" and "Here I Am To Worship". I guess my favorite happy-clappy song would be "Blessed Be Your Name."

Interesting that many of the favorites here are ripping off the Psalms. Why not just sing the psalms! :sing:

I used to love to sing choruses like "Open the Eyes of My Heart", "King of kings & Lord of lords" in Spanish and German, but only because I knew them in those languages. Other than that, I never even liked worship choruses. Too sentimental for the most part. There are some exceptions, but give me Psalm 119X, "Be Thou My Vision" or "Now Unto Jehovah, Ye Sons of the Mighty" any day. :)

We used to sing this one at FCA in college, based on the song of the Israelites after Lord's victory over the Egyptians at the Red Sea. Forgive me if I mess up the words a bit; it has been 20 years since I've sung it!

I will sing unto the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously
The horse and rider thrown into the sea!
I will sing unto the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously
The horse and rider thrown into the sea!

The Lord, my God, my strength, my song,
Has now become my victory!
The Lord, my God, my strength, my song,
Has now become my victory!

The Lord is God and I will praise Him,
My father's God and I will exalt Him.
The Lord is God and I will praise Him,
My father's God and I will exalt Him.

Interesting that many of the favorites here are ripping off the Psalms. Why not just sing the psalms! :sing:

Our sermons are not just scripture read--they are precisely "ripping off" the text.
Even the Psalms in the psalter are "ripping off the Psalms."

My very favorite hymns to listen to/sing along with that have been recorded are done by the music group of the Reformed University Fellowship (RUF), called Indelible Grace. They take Newton and Watts, etc, and give them a new, folksy tune and they are amazing. Every song I hear I find quotes that I want to use for my facebook religious views.

Here's a snippet of my very favorite Indelible Grace hymn, I Asked the Lord, written by John Newton. I really wish that I could give each of you these CDs. I cannot recommend them enough!
1. I asked the Lord that I might grow/In faith and love and every grace/Might more of His salvation know/And seek more earnestly His face

2. Twas He who taught me thus to pray/And He I trust has answered prayer/But it has been in such a way/As almost drove me to despair

3. I hoped that in some favored hour/At once He’d answer my request/And by His love’s constraining power/Subdue my sins and give me rest

4. Instead of this He made me feel/The hidden evils of my heart/And let the angry powers of Hell/Assault my soul in every part

5. Yea more with His own hand He seemed/Intent to aggravate my woe/Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,/Cast out my feelings, laid me low

6. Lord why is this, I trembling cried/Wilt Thou pursue thy worm to death?/”Tis in this way,” the Lord replied/”I answer prayer for grace and faith”

7. “These inward trials I employ/from self and pride to set thee free/And break thy schemes of earthly joy/That thou mayest seek thy all in me/That thou mayest seek thy all in me.”

They are offering a free download in exchange for the email addresses of five friends. They only use the addresses to invite the friends to download it themselves.

More seriously, In Christ Alone is my favorite contemporary worship and praise song.

"In Christ Alone"
Words and Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2001 Kingsway Thankyou Music

In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone, Who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied;
For ev'ry sin on Him was laid—
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day,
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death—
This is the pow'r of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home—
Here in the pow'r of Christ I'll stand.

CCLI No:3350395.

More seriously, In Christ Alone is my favorite contemporary worship and praise song.

It didn't occur to me that it is a contemporary song. And that, I suppose, is a very high compliment to it.

We sang In Christ Alone at our wedding.

We sang it while my bride and I were facing each other, just before our vows.

And while singing these great words of what Christ did for His church, it made my vows all the more serious in my mind. I could only think, "My goodness, is this what I'm called to do for her?" And my mental response to myself, "Yes, and you'll enjoy every hard minute of it."

Funny enough, my wife said she had a similar thought process while we sang, "The Church's One Foundation."

That's a long-winded way of saying I love that song :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back