What is your favorite cut of meat (Beef) and why?

What is your favorite cut of steak?

• Filet Mignon

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Flank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NY Strip

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Porterhouse

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Prime Rib

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Rib-Eye

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Sirloin

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • T-Bone

• Top Round

• Round

• Top Loin

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rib

• Shoulder

• Other

• rat brains!™®

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
What is your favorite cut of steak and why? How do you like it cooked, etc.?

DISCLAIMER: I did not add in "Rat Brains" and administrator must have done that...

Last edited:
Voted other. For steak, I would say NY Strip (thick about 1.5"; I would say Porterhouse but hard to cook the filet side and the strip side so both are right). For roast, I've tried a low temperature cooking of a top sirloin roast and while nice I would still go prime rib.

NY Strip.

I was tempted to say Porterhouse, but the fillet just isn't as good as the strip.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Who in their right mind is going to vote for a Round steak?

Cut up the whole thing into strips, soak in lots of salt, pepper, coriander and vinegar for a couple days and hang out to dry on wires in the middle of summer, keeping flies off. Or in an oven on low. When leathery there's nothin' like it.

New York Strip all the way. Prime rib is a close second though... :drool: Now I want a steak!

Ribeye, no contest. Some people whine because of the marbling, but that is straight flavor baby!

P.S. (I am a born and raised Texas, so technically I am an authority on this) :judge:

Something called a tri-tip. Can't find a butcher in East TN that knows what it is, but my wife's Uncle brings them from California. The thing is cooked whole over charcoal, then sliced and served with salsa and black beans.

Next is a chunk of tenderloin from an East TN free-range cow (aka white-tail deer), seasoned and wrapped in bacon. Also cooked over charcoal.

Prime rib: medium-well. That is my favorite. I also love a grilled NY strip or rib-eye or T-bone or..............:drool:

I voted sirloin, though I usually get flatiron. Both are lean cuts. Friday I am going to try and get a beef heart to make anticuchoes.

Prime rib - medium. Au jus. Horseradish sauce. Baked potato with butter and sour cream. Several asparagus sprouts. A nice Merlot. Can't beat it.

Depends on who is doing the cooking. If it's Ruth's Chris, then the filet. In all other cases it is the ribeye.

The Porterhouse!
It contains the NY Strip & The Fillet and it is the Rear part of the Short Loin!
You get the best of the best wrapped in one!

Now if you were speaking of Venison it would be the Inner Loins Hands Down!

I haven't even heard of most of these. I grew up in a near-meatless home and almost never cook beef of any kind. I would probably enjoy a nice steak at a restaurant if I could afford it!

My question: does anyone have a recommendation for a not-too-expensive cut of beef with a good recipe to go with it? My husband would probably be happy for a month if I made him something like that. :lol:

Beef Bourguignon (real deal is kinda tall order; but there are simpler versions around the net) uses chuck or rump roast (but you could kick it up with boneless short ribs). Or any slow braise approach. Don't skimp on the wine; if it's bad to drink, it won't be any better in the dish. :2cents:

If I can only have one cut it is the Ribeye. Preferably seared over hot charcoal cooked just enough to ensure that the juices are sealed inside. If done properly a good vet can get the thing back on its feet if necessary.

In reality I won't turn down anything. From lips to tail, it's all good.

I voted "other," because any of the above would be a real treat. The grocery budget has us eating less expensive meats - I can't remember the last time I barbequed a steak!

If I can only have one cut it is the Ribeye. Preferably seared over hot charcoal cooked just enough to ensure that the juices are sealed inside. If done properly a good vet can get the thing back on its feet if necessary.

:amen:

Ribeye, clearly. Flavorful and juicy. I usually avoid it due to it not being lean, but I'm voting here purely on taste!

I voted Top loin which is a tough call due to the fact that it's the main portion of the T-bone or Porterhouse and I love the T-bone,with Sirloin strip as a close second.

I must say I have never tried a Ribeye,but now I will for sure

Rib-eye is my favorite, but I'll take a NY Strip any day of the week also, but I think the fat in the rib-eye makes it all more yummy!

So one of my favorite restaurants in town posted on Facebook this morning a steak and grits special (which I didn't end up getting, but I thought about it). I started craving a steak. Then I saw this thread on the PB. I was craving one even more. And then, an hour or so later, my dad called and said, "Hey, want to go out to eat? I'm thinking steak..."

I just had the best ribeye, bacony green beans, sweet potato, caesar salad, and yeast rolls with cinnamon butter at Texas Roadhouse! Topped off with a nice glass of Riesling!

Uh, bacon wrapped filet, of course! Ribeye is a close second, but it is hard to get a Ribeye without serious gristle anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back