Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Fentiman

Puritan Board Sophomore
Some persons say all of life is worship, and see no special significance for the Church’s public worship. Others, often in reaction, hold worship to be only worship ordinances, such as prayer, reading Scripture and singing praise, whether publicly or privately.

Both are wrong, according to Scripture and reformed orthodoxy. Worship, narrowly speaking, is an immediate honoring of God. Keeping God’s commandments is done for his sake and mediately honors God, and hence is worship. All of life is worship insofar as worship naturally and Biblically includes anything done out of reference to God, in service to Him.

Seek to reform yourself to the Word and carefully consider ReformedBooksOnline's new page of resources, and let them sink deep into your soul:

Likewise, some of the most fundamental and helpful distinctions about worship, filling out what it is and its nature, have been nearly wholly lost today. Peruse these new pages at RBO:

Internal worship is more important than external, and natural more than instituted, according to nature, Scripture (see the many Bible verses on the webpages) and reformed orthodoxy.

Get indepth theological background to what Westminster does and does not say about this subject on the Natural vs. Instituted page:

Hope these things may be of help to you, and will be glad to hear your thoughts.

Not reading any of your references it appears to me you are posing the "all is worship" is worship.

Any discussion?
I read the thread but I haven't read the references. I like the direction you're rowing in. I'm a fan of applying RPW outside the four walls of the church to whatever extent it's practical. We don't want to be one day a week Christians. What this looks like in our family varies based on the topic and context. My wife headcovers at home (1 Corinthians 11:5, cf. 1 Thessalonians 5:17), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back