What is the standard Greek Dictionary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AThornquist

Puritan Board Doctor
If one were to quote an authoritative Greek dictionary, what would be the (or an) expected volume?

Thank you! :)

TDNT for a more thorough treatment, though BDAG may be more well known simply because of it's affordability.

BDAG would be the most likely one. I have that monster bad boy sitting near me as I write an exegetical paper. Another alternative would be the Louw-Nida dictionary. For grammatical questions Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics should be authoritative.

There's a condensed version of TDNT that is pretty decent and affordable, but my understanding is that BDAG is supposed to be the standard.

BDAG is the standard. TDNT is an entirely different animal, it interprets in addition to defining, I would stick with BDAG for translating.

None listed so far. The authoritative Greek Lexicon is still LSJ. Now, if you're speaking only of biblical Greek, then BDAG, with Louw-Nida coming in second. TDNT is a heavily flawed set. You can consult TDNT, but know that it's highly interpretative.

Not to beat the subject to death, but BDAG is the standard. If you have Logos, I recommend buying electronically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back