What is the idea behind fasting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
I've read that it is associated with humiliation and repentance. What is the connection between these things and not eating?

I suspect it has to do with the natural connection between intense sadness and losing our appetite. e.g. if we lose a loved one, we may not feel like eating.

Are we simply reversing the order? Stop eating in order to make ourselves sad over our sin?

In high level summary: In fasting, we acknowledge and confess that the LORD’s mercy and grace -as well as the subsequent humility and repentance flowing from such- are more important than our necessary food.

You are also relying on God's resources and not merely your own. Also, fasting and total abstinence aren't always the same thing. The former means avoiding x, y, and z. The latter means NO food and/or drink for a certain time period.

Fasting frees up time to spend in the Word, meditation, and prayer. (No preparation, cleanup, getting everyone together ...) It also demonstrates trust in God. You've done without the food you normally need and are trusting that God will provide it again after your apportioned time.

As Joshua references above, Job 23:12 says, "I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food." It is a seeking to be fed of the LORD – or sustained by Him in some trial or crisis – with a desire that says to the body, "Quiet yourself, I am waiting on my God." Or as I say to my earthly self, "Time for you to hunger a little, Pig Self, while I seek necessary food."

Though one can only fast from water 3-4 days (unless like Moses extraordinary grace is given) without serious danger or death, while one may abstain from food for weeks, but breaking a long fast requires great care.

I neglected to mention another very important use of fasting, and that is in this scenario Paul speaks of:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand" (Eph 6:12, 13).​

Fasting weakens the flesh, while the heart draws near to Christ, by faith appropriating His promise, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor 12:9). Our weakness in the face of satanic attack gives us to glorify His majesty and power in us / through us as the indwelling Spirit of Christ fills us with His might for the "wrestling", which may be protracted.

This is not everyone's experience, but it is available to the needy missionary, minister, or lay person in the conflict spoken of in Ephesians 6:10-18. Those who speak against it show Charnock's wisdom when he said, "A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant." It is a highly significant tool.

Fasting frees up time to spend in the Word, meditation, and prayer. (No preparation, cleanup, getting everyone together ...) It also demonstrates trust in God. You've done without the food you normally need and are trusting that God will provide it again after your apportioned time.

Can't one spend time in the Word, meditation, and prayer between breakfast and lunch, or between lunch and dinner, or after dinner in the evening? I admit that I've never really understood fasting. How can one concentrate on Bible study or prayer when one's stomach is shouting, "Hey, idiot! Didn't you forget something?"

[These are notes from a sermon that I preached]

The general purpose of fasting is drawing nearer to our God and to our Savior Jesus Christ by faith.
  • Let me explain how this works. The mechanics of fasting, if you will:
    • Before we fast or at the outset of a fast, we are to have in mind some specific purpose for that specific fast. Whether that is praying about some matter or meditating on a certain truth.
    • As we fast, abstaining from food for some period of time, inevitably we will begin to feel hungry—the stomach will start to growl and we will think or say: I’m hungry.
    • The key is that that hunger is meant to serve as a trigger that prompts us to pray or to meditate or engage in some other spiritual activity.
  • For example:
    • If we determined at the outset of our fast to pray for a specific matter (and indeed prayer and fasting are inseparably connected).
    • Every time throughout the fast that we feel our stomach growling, rather than just thinking about how hungry we are getting, that hunger is to serve as a reminder to pray.
  • This then shows the benefit of fasting:
    • It is not that there is something inherently pious about abstaining from food itself.
    • But it serves as a reminder to draw near unto our God by faith. Fasting is an aid to spiritual communion and covenant fellowship with our God.
    • It is a way to combat our spiritual weakness and tendency to go long stretches of time without giving any thought to God or spiritual matters.
    • Fasting prompts us to mediate on God’s word, to spend time in prayer, that is, to draw near unto our God. That is general purpose

I think the spiritual implications are most important. During fasting, when you think about food that is an indicator to bring yourself to God. But also, from a practical standpoint, self-control is such a virtue. If you can deny your hungry body food, you are well on your way to mastering your flesh and subjecting it to you, having complete control over yourself.

I think the answer to the question can in part be found in the following passage:

1 Cry aloud; do not hold back;
lift up your voice like a trumpet;
declare to my people their transgression,
to the house of Jacob their sins.
2 Yet they seek me daily
and delight to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that did righteousness
and did not forsake the judgment of their God;
they ask of me righteous judgments;
they delight to draw near to God.
3 ‘Why have we fasted, and you see it not?
Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?’
Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure,
and oppress all your workers.
4 Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight
and to hit with a wicked fist.
Fasting like yours this day
will not make your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is such the fast that I choose,
a day for a person to humble himself?
Is it to bow down his head like a reed,
and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?
Will you call this a fast,
and a day acceptable to the Lord?
6 “Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
8 Then shall your light break forth like the dawn,
and your healing shall spring up speedily;
your righteousness shall go before you;
the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;
you shall cry, and he will say, ‘Here I am.’
If you take away the yoke from your midst,
the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
10 if you pour yourself out for the hungry
and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
then shall your light rise in the darkness
and your gloom be as the noonday.
11 And the Lord will guide you continually
and satisfy your desire in scorched places
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water,
whose waters do not fail.
12 And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt;
you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
you shall be called the repairer of the breach,
the restorer of streets to dwell in.

Fasting is a time to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God. (Mic 6.8).

More extensive applications for fasting can be found in John Piper's book: A Hunger for God | Desiring God
It is available for free download. Good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back