What is the deal with the black Madonna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Some Catholics make pilgrimages to shrines of the black Madonna, like in Montserrat (sp?) France.

What is the deal with the black Madonna? Did people say she appeared in this form in an apparition or vision?

In the Philippines this week, I have heard they are parading a statue of the "black Nazarene" as well.

Help me learn more about shrines and statues and visions.

I'm not familiar with a French version. The Black Madonna usually refers to the one in Poland (had to look up the name of the city- Częstochowa.)

You can Google black madonna poland for the Wikipedia - per board rules, I won't post a link due to a Second Commandment violation in the Wiki page.

The monastery at Częstochowa is an amazing place - there is a whole room with walking sticks, crutches and wheel chairs attached to the walls. There is also a room full of valuables given by the faithful - which is probably more accurate.

I read a vaguely interesting article that made several comments, some of which would be helpful to you. It's by Ella Rozett, you can find it real easy via google. The fourth section, "The Church's explanations for Black Madonnas" is the helpful part.

(I thought it was ok to post links so long as you explained potential problems with the link? I can't remember?)

Do you think the Black Madonnas originate from pagan statues of Isis and Horus or previous goddesses like Artemis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back