What is the common Reformed Christian View of the Crusades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
First, I'm not looking for a debate nor do I have a strong position one way or the other. Just surveying... What is the common Reformed Christian View of the Crusades? and of war in general?

This is excerpted from the Wittenburg Door from Knox Seminary put together and signed by prominent Reformed evangelical theologians and pastors...

Bad Christian theology regarding the "Holy Land" contributed to the tragic cruelty of the Crusades in the Middle Ages. Lamentably, bad Christian theology is today attributing to secular Israel a divine mandate to conquer and hold Palestine, with the consequence that the Palestinian people are marginalized and regarded as virtual "Canaanites."39 This doctrine is both contrary to the teaching of the New Testament and a violation of the Gospel mandate.40 In addition, this theology puts those Christians who are urging the violent seizure and occupation of Palestinian land in moral jeopardy of their own bloodguiltiness. Are we as Christians not called to pray for and work for peace, warning both parties to this conflict that those who live by the sword will die by the sword?41 Only the Gospel of Jesus Christ can bring both temporal reconciliation and the hope of an eternal and heavenly inheritance to the Israeli and the Palestinian. Only through Jesus Christ can anyone know peace on earth.

As a Top 300 Amazon.com book reviewer, I just got a complimentary review copy of The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) from the conservative imprint Regnery and Myths of Islamic Tolerance edited by the same author, Robert Spencer, a Roman Catholic. Spencer basically offers an apologetic for the Crusades and has the Latin quote by Pope Urban for "God Wills It" on his first page. I'm also reading Laurence Vance's Christianity and War. Again, these authors are not Reformed.

So, how does a Reformed thinker approach the issue of war?

Some might say that Christians have been bamboozled by revisionist philo-Islamic, anti-church history of the Crusades that has been popular in recent years. Too often, Middle Eastern Studies programs in most American colleges make Islam look like saints and wholly victims during the Crusades. I have cursory knowledge of the Crusades incidentally, and I'm not that well-schooled.

I myself am not a warhawk and I trek over to Anti-war.com from time to time, though I don't agree with everything lock, stock and barrel. I've studied a lot of military history, tactics and strategy with some attentiveness earlier in my twenties while in college-- Plus, I wanted to go in U.S. Army JAG corps.

I kind of see war as God's judgment on sin, and consider wars of aggression as simply immoral. Additionally, I do not believe in the sanctifying myth of the state-- that is to say collective action under the auspices of State action negates what would be considered sinful if committed by an individua; thievery, extortion and homicide are always wrong even when agents of the State do it with state sanction. I obviously recognize that the magistrates has power over the sword and can punish criminal wrong-doers with due process of law including the death penalty....

The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul does a good job of explaining the holy wars of the Bible, and how God's holiness and judgment is manifest in such wars. Moreover, he explains how God utilized the Israelites as an instrument of judgment against the wicked nations, and likewise how God chastened his disobedient people with war because of their apostasy.

[Edited on 8-1-2005 by Puritanhead]

As far as the broader question of war in general, my understanding is that the Reformed generally adopt just war theory as put forth by Augustine and further developed by Aquinas. Obviously there is a lot of disagreement on how the criteria for a just war are properly defined.

My above comment, while I hold to it, was an attempt to bump this topic up.

I am searching Wikipedia but they are not being very helpful. I found Hugo Grotius but then read on and at the bottom it says his ideas later developed into what is now Arminianism so I am assuming he was not Reformed...

[Edited on 31-7-2005 by Abd_Yesua_alMasih]

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:...a time of war, and a time of peace. (Ecc. 3)

Regarding the Reformed view of just war theory, I would suggest the following reading:

The Christian Attitude Toward War by Loraine Boettner

Augustine: Political Writings by Michael W. Tkacz and Douglas Kries,trans, Ernest L. Fortin and Douglas Kries, eds., 1994.

John Knox: On Rebellion ed. by Roger A. Mason

The Emergence of Liberty in the Modern World by Douglas F. Kelly

Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book IV, Chap. 20 by John Calvin

Politica by Johannes Althusius

Lex Rex by Samuel Rutherford

A Defense of Liberty Against Tyrants by Junius Brutus

[url=http://www.constitution.org/cmt/beza/magistrates.htm]On the Rights of Magistrates
by Theodore Beza

How Superior Powers Ought to be Obeyed by Christopher Goodman

Reformed Confessions on the Civil Magistrate

Bibliography on the Civil Magistrate

Other resources listed here

[Edited on 7-31-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back