What Is the Book of Job About, Anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
One of the finest commentators in history on the book of Job (Joseph Caryl) says this about the content of Job:

The main and principal subject of this Book is contained, (and I may give it you) in one verse of the 34. Psalm. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivereth him out of all.

Concerning this subject, there are two great Questions handled and disputed fully and clearly in this Book. The first is this. Whether it doth consist with the Justice and goodness of God to afflict a righteous and sincere person, to strip him naked, to take away all his outward comforts. Or, Whether it doth consist with the Justice and goodness of God, that it should go ill with those that are good, and that it should go wel with those that are evil. This is one great debate, the main Question thoroughout the Book. And then secondly, here is another great dispute in reference to the former. Namely, whether we may judge of the righteousness, or unrighteousness, of the sincerity or hypocrisy of any person, by the outward dealings and present dispensations of God towards him. That is a second Question here debated (Joseph Caryl, Exposition of Job, volume 1, p. 6; italics and "mis-spellings" are original).​

Thanks for sharing that, Lane. Great two points by Caryl.

I started using the Grant Horner reading plan about three years ago. Prior to that I used to read Job yearly. Now due to Horner I read it every other month. I've grown to love that book and I'm sure I only scratch the surface in my knowledge and understanding of it.

The thing about the book of Job is combining it with everything that happens to a believer is for their ultimate good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back