What is the best book *on* Jonathan Edwards?

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by BayouHuguenot, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

I am trying to put together a decent bibliography of material on Jonatahn Edwards, and I am wondering if I have missed something.

Iain Murray's bio of Edwards. Good, warm and pastoral. Doesn't always deal with the philosophical inferences from Edwards's views.

Miller, Perry. A delightful and frustrating read from a man whom John Gerstner described as a "pleasant pagan." Excellent sections on free will, but ruins it with Miller's non-understanding of the Christian life.

Marsden, Geroge. Routinely corrects some of Miller's wackier readings, but work is more historical than analytical.

I have requested Oliver Crisp's works on Edwards.

2. RPEphesian

RPEphesian Puritan Board Junior

You should read the biography by Sereno Dwight. I'm reading through it now. It's the first of the works that appear in volume 1 of Edwards' complete works.

3. arapahoepark

arapahoepark Puritan Board Graduate

Mardsen. Isn't he the biggest? He details every single thing but, I do believe there is an abridged version as well.

4. Gage Browning

Gage Browning Puritan Board Freshman

Not like any other books listed above but "Marriage to a difficult Man" by Elisabeth Dodds is one of the best books I've read and has a keen insight into the daily life of Edwards.

5. Gage Browning

Gage Browning Puritan Board Freshman

It's actually a bio of Sarah Edwards, but has much to say about J. Edwards life.

6. BayouHuguenot

BayouHuguenot Puritan Board Doctor

It is sizeable, but he writes well. I never bothered with the abridged version since I had the bigger one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.