What is subordinationism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Please help to understand what subordinationism is. I am reading a book by Paul Copan True For You, But Not For Me, he wrote, "the Father is greater in rank to the Incarnate Son, who obeys his father.... the New Testament highlights the Son's Subordination to the Father. P. 116

Is this right?

There is no order of "rank" in the Godhead. The Son is co-equal with the Father after his divinity, but is subordinate to him according to his mediatorial office, and is his creature after his humanity. To conflate these distinctions is to deny the essential unity of the Godhead.

In terms of the Godhead there is no subordination. In terms of his economy, his incarnation, there is. The ESS/CBMW types get this confused.

What do you mean by economy? What is the eternal subordination of the Son? Is it heresy?

Economy in this sense means Jesus after the Incarnation.

Eternal Subordination of the Son is what you referenced in your first post. It means the Son is eternally subordinate in his essential relation to the Father. I believe it is a dangerous and false teaching. If I say it is heretical, then I have to say that many in the Council Biblical Manhood and Womanhood are heretics, and I don't want to do that just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back