What is preaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is preaching?

It is to tell the truth about God.

It is to tell the truth about man.

It is to tell the truth about Jesus Christ.

And it is to tell the truth about salvation.

Preaching IS always effectual, but how far from the mark can preaching be and still be preaching? Can an arminian preach then? Does Billy Graham preach?

And in the definitions I see nothing that restricts preaching to inside a church building on Sunday. What are the places and persons that must be included in this definition. Must it flow from the authority of a church or merely from a God-called individual, whether a church yet exists or not?

Preaching IS always effectual, but how far from the mark can preaching be and still be preaching? Can an arminian preach then? Does Billy Graham preach?

And in the definitions I see nothing that restricts preaching to inside a church building on Sunday. What are the places and persons that must be included in this definition. Must it flow from the authority of a church or merely from a God-called individual, whether a church yet exists or not?

Again, you are asking for visible signs that can be used to judge preaching from non-preaching and I am not sure it is that simple.

LBC 14:1 The grace of faith, whereby the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts, and is ordinarily wrought by the ministry of the Word; by which also, and by the administration of baptism and the Lord's supper, prayer, and other means appointed of God, it is increased and strengthened.

I think the point the divines are trying to make is that preaching is ordinarily done under the authority of a church. (As with baptism and the Lord's Supper) But that does not exclude the extraordinary preaching done in places where no church exists, or the churches are simply not doing their job.

If an Arminian is sent by God and says, "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved!" why wouldn't that be preaching?

KMK:

My agenda is as follows:

Overseas there is a great variation in how I and others teach the Word. I am trying to probe which of these situation warrant the name preaching or teaching or storytelling the Gospel, etc. Didn't the NT speak of Gospelling? We sit around fires all night, we talk while on the trail or in canoes, I rarely stand and raise my voice.... I use pictures and explain the pictures....

So, in short, I am trying to figure out just what I am doing here?

KMK:

My agenda is as follows:

Overseas there is a great variation in how I and others teach the Word. I am trying to probe which of these situation warrant the name preaching or teaching or storytelling the Gospel, etc. Didn't the NT speak of Gospelling? We sit around fires all night, we talk while on the trail or in canoes, I rarely stand and raise my voice.... I use pictures and explain the pictures....

So, in short, I am trying to figure out just what I am doing here?

Do you believe that you have been sent by God to preach to these people? (Obviously you do, as do I.) Then that is preaching. Preaching does not have to be done from a standing position, nor must it be done with a loud Whitfieldian voice.

A preacher is one who has the authority to command people to believe.
A preacher is one who, when people do not obey that command, laments, "Who hath believed our report?"
A preacher is one who has no choice but to preach because so great a burden has been placed on him that he cannot bite his tongue even in the face of death. He says, "Woe to me if I preach not the gospel!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back