What is it to be Reformed?

Discussion in 'Ecclesiology' started by rbcbob, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbcbob

rbcbob Puritan Board Graduate

What is it to be Reformed?

Erroll Hulse asks and answers the question in the quote below.

There has been a great deal of energetic debate lately over whether or not Reformed Baptists are warranted in the use of the word Reformed in their self designation. Some have indicated that this debate will continue till Christ returns. I think that they are right.

Does that make continued debate over “Reformed” futile? I do not think so. If we maintain a patient and gracious spirit while explaining our positions and views there can be an expanding of our understanding of one another’s views. We can also see areas where we have not seen clearly some points which we thought we had understood.

Do I need for my Paedobaptist brethren to concede to me a right to see myself as a Reformed Baptist? No. Must I eventually concede that they are correct in denying me the disputed designation? No.

Let us continue to learn from one another and edify one another.

2. lynnie

lynnie Puritan Board Senior

Nice post.

John 17 and Ephesians 4:1-6 stress that the unity of believers is of the utmost importance. The more biblical doctrine that there is the better and stronger will be the unity. We have much more in common with Presbyterians who preach in the expository fashion than we do with shallow Arminian Baptists who do not. Thus many Reformed Baptists find themselves in Presbyterian churches and many Presbyterians not able to locate a reformed paedobaptist church find themselves in a Reformed Baptist church.

Yup! Quite a few Baptists in the PCA. And quite a few Presbys in certain areas leaving to attend RB with good preaching.

charismatic tongues and prophecies

You'll get disagreement on that one, what with the alliance of confessing evangelicals and Grudem, Mahaney, etc.

3. Simply_Nikki

Simply_Nikki Puritan Board Junior

I'm a paedobaptist and I still don't think I'd be given the designation of being "reformed", since being reformed is much more than being paedo-baptist and a Calvinist. I just call myself a reforming Presbyterian. The way I look at it, the Lord will grow me as he sees fit to convince me through the scriptures of all the little reformed distinctives that I hear or read about from those "more reformed" than I. People who just jump ship readily to fit in with this camp or that camp seem to love men more than they do God; even if the ship they jump to happened to be biblically/theologically correct. I love God and I love his people and I want to serve him through serving his people in whatever capacity he'd have me do. :pilgrim:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.