What eschatological interpretation do you believe?

What eschatological interpretation do you adhere to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
Ok, I am curious on what eschatological interpretation does everyone follow? I am in a current study with regards to eschatological timeline issues....

Are you:

1. Partial preterism
2. Full preterism
3. Futurism
4. Historicism
5. Idealism
6. Other/ Please Explain

There are time referents in both Matthew and Revelation which are obviously to the AD 30-70 generation. But at the same time, I see other stuff, liek the millennium, as future.

It was not a voting option but view this as a "write in"......I am still trying to figure it out.

Ok, interesting...

So far here is my take on the issue and why I consider myself a hybrid between the two...

I can see the book of Daniel as fulfilled and not future.....
I believe that Matthew 24 has been partial fulfilled, but the other half refering to the second coming.
I believe Revelation is still future with a millennium for the Church...

So what system do you call that? :think:

There are time referents in both Matthew and Revelation which are obviously to the AD 30-70 generation. But at the same time, I see other stuff, liek the millennium, as future.

Ok, I am curious on what eschatological interpretation does everyone follow? I am in a current study with regards to eschatological timeline issues....

Are you:

1. Partial preterism
2. Full preterism
3. Futurism
4. Historicism
5. Idealism
6. Other/ Please Explain

What is the difference between 1 and 2? If 2 means 'hyperpreterist' (The return of Christ is past) then you will not get any votes because hyperpreterists are not confessional and therefore are not allowed on this forum.

Maybe I can be called a Quarter Preterist and Third Futurist...

:rofl::rofl:

Ok, interesting...

So far here is my take on the issue and why I consider myself a hybrid between the two...

I can see the book of Daniel as fulfilled and not future.....
I believe that Matthew 24 has been partial fulfilled, but the other half refering to the second coming.
I believe Revelation is still future with a millennium for the Church...

So what system do you call that? :think:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to review an eschatological glossary. I understand preterist, but the others I always have to look up. :p

I think almost everyone is a partial preterist to some extent. Certainly the prophecies pointing to the fall of Jerusalem were fulfilled. And the prophecies in Daniel are spectacular in their unfolding. At least to that extent, I'd be surprised if someone claimed that they did not think such prophecies had already been fulfilled.

I voted "other" simply because I still am not sure what view I hold. This was a topic that was drilled into my head when I was a fundamental Baptist, and I know that many of the views I held back then I no longer hold, I just haven't quite figured out what I do believe and have yet to take the time to restudy these scriptures. Other things like predestination, election, worship and sanctification have been more pressing topics of study for me.

As noted in Gregg's Four Views of Revelation book, very few interpreters today holds strictly to one of the four categories. Most use elements of some or all of the above.

Partial Preterist and Idealist. I voted "Idealism" in the poll, since I was primarily thinking of St. John's Apocalypse.

Are you:

1. Partial preterism
2. Full preterism
3. Futurism
4. Historicism
5. Idealism
6. Other/ Please Explain

I do not know if one would define those as "eschatological positions." To me these, especially Preterism and Idealism, are hermeneutic tools one would invoke to arrive at an eschatological position. However, I can see your flow of thought, and there really is not a need to get too pedantic here :) I am defiantly a Partial Preterist which supplements beautifully to my Postmillennialism.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to review an eschatological glossary. I understand preterist, but the others I always have to look up. :p

I think almost everyone is a partial preterist to some extent. Certainly the prophecies pointing to the fall of Jerusalem were fulfilled. And the prophecies in Daniel are spectacular in their unfolding. At least to that extent, I'd be surprised if someone claimed that they did not think such prophecies had already been fulfilled.

Excellent post, everyone is Preterist to some extent if your a Christian.

It is so strange Partial Preterist, hereinafter PP, is ahead of Futurism 9-3... That's crazy. I am sure when I get back from work the inverse will be true.

It is so strange Partial Preterist, hereinafter PP, is ahead of Futurism 9-3... That's crazy. I am sure when I get back from work the inverse will be true.

Idealism will win the day. More reformed people are idealists or historicists than partial preterists/futurists.

Futurist (ala Ladd) with respect for the insights of partial-preterism, idealism, and historicism.

Idealism will win the day. More reformed people are idealists or historicists than partial preterists/futurists.
Dumb question time..what is Idealism?????:book2:

Over simplification, but idealists see the symbols and pictures in the book of Revelation as having timeless truths for modern-day Christians. I am drawing mainly from Idealist's Sam Hamstra's very moving essay in Four Views on the Book of Revelation. The strength of idealism is that it makes for wonderful application. Again, though, I have a few faults with idealism that I don't feel like mentioning now (I don't want to be the first dissenter and disagreeer on this thread. :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back