What Does Your Church Use for Elements in Communion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
What does your church use for elements in the Lord's Supper? Be specific. I am really just curious what different churches use.

And I'd rather this not become a debate on what should be used. That is not my purpose. I think we are all aware of the different views relating to that question.

Last edited:
bread and wine and grape juice for those who can't have wine
Ditto; and while I don't think it is for any reason, a sour dough loaf, broken in the action, but already carved up for the passing; no common cup; the thimble things.

Do you know what kind of bread it is?
ummm....only that it looks like a homemade loaf of bread but it's not and is very soft on the inside. It's not like sour dough...it's just normal. The pastor breaks it in half and we also use the tiny glasses.

Last edited:
What does your church use for elements in the Lord's Supper? Be specific. I am really just curious what different churches use.

And I'd rather this not become a debate on what should be used. That is not my purpose. I think we are all aware of the different views relating to that question.
Bread and welchs grape juice...

I have to say I'm astonished at all of the grape juice. Not wanting to distract from the OP, just find it surprising...

I would not choose to go back to juice if looking for a new church. I understand why some churches that use mainly wine, offer the option, and in my church's case I think it is just a couple. I didn't know we did this actually, but found out when I accidentally got a juice one time, either mis-filled or I got someone's designated juice.
I have to say I'm astonished at all of the grape juice. Not wanting to distract from the OP, just find it surprising...

Matzoh-like cracker pieces and grape juice in tiny plastic cups. I'm told that the crackers are due to a long-gone elder who insisted unleavened was the only right way to do it, but that now this is just done because change will inevitably upset someone, and the crackers are easy.

Pre-broken wafers and manischewitz (non-alcoholic and gluten-free options are available as well). Common cup.

Regular bakery bread and wine in individual cups (with a few grape juice). This is standard in the Reformed churches I've served.

Bread and grape juice. I grudging say that but they have stated so as not to cause alcoholics to stumble, presumably as opposed to fundamentalist reasons.
No intinction either.

Last edited:

Wine or juice and some sort of bread. I've been to two churches where dipping the bread in wine was a big deal.

If RCs can acknowledge Jesus and the disciples knew the difference between blood and wine, tissue and bread, why do we Protestants make such a big deal about how these things may be, only to side with temperance movements against the use of a particular element (wine) in the ritual which Christ ordained? Even if the RCs actually believe they re-sacrifice Jesus, they say the sacrifice is "mystical", where our churches will debate what elements are effectual or lawful, and we always seem to accommodate personal preference in the matter. I can't help but be amazed by the hills we'll die on.

Also, no offense OP, but if you're already aware of the different traditions, how can you be curious what different churches will use?

Last edited:
We use a common cup of wine, and eat from a common loaf of bread. Most recently, the bread was gluten free, and it may be from here on out. We partake of the elements around a table.

I see a potential problem with the usage of a common cup bc of flu/colds/meningitis. People can have the beginnings of these contagions without realizing they have them and spread them to the rest of the congregation.

Our church uses the little crackers and Welch's. I have Celiac and have to remember to bring gluten-free bread. :)

Round wafers and grape juice in the tiny disposable plastic cups (the juice, not the wafers).

Fermented wine in the plastic thimbles and leavened bread, with the communicants seated around a common table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back