What does it mean to be "called"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan95

Puritan Board Sophomore
I hear many people in the church speak of having been called to do this or that. Marry this person, get this job, enter into ministry, etc.

Folks will ask me what are some things I feel called to. And my answer is always the same. Nothing.
I just seek to do the will of the Lord as it appears in the Scriptures.

I'm not really sure what people mean by this question. Am I missing something?

I hear many people in the church speak of having been called to do this or that. Marry this person, get this job, enter into ministry, etc.

Folks will ask me what are some things I feel called to. And my answer is always the same. Nothing.
I just seek to do the will of the Lord as it appears in the Scriptures.

I'm not really sure what people mean by this question. Am I missing something?

I don't have much time now, but I will say that many people claim to be called by God when they are in fact called by their own desires or voices in their own head that they attribute to God. God doesn't talk to people like He used to in the Old Testament. Callings to a job or a higher calling to the ministry is usually a providential leading that in hindsight you can see a path that has led you to a certain position in your life about a job or, like I said, the ministry and you can see that perhaps God is calling you. A lot of times the jobs you take as a youth will lead to the job you do as an adult and that can often be considered a calling. And speaking of the ministry. It is said there is a need for both an inward call and an outward call. Inward being the predilection of your heart and desire to walk in a certain path with God. But until or unless that calling is confirmed by Others in a position to understand these things like a pastor or elders you cannot say for sure that you have been called.

From what you say it seems to me you're on the right path to finding your true calling(s) in life. Trust the Lord, study His word, and observe His providence, and get the advice of others, for in a multitude of counselors there is safety.

I'll try to get time to get some scripture back rub later.

I don't have much time now, but I will say that many people claim to be called by God when they are in fact called by their own desires or voices in their own head that they attribute to God. God doesn't talk to people like He used to in the Old Testament. Callings to a job or a higher calling to the ministry is usually a providential leading that in hindsight you can see a path that has led you to a certain position in your life about a job or, like I said, the ministry and you can see that perhaps God is calling you. A lot of times the jobs you take as a youth will lead to the job you do as an adult and that can often be considered a calling. And speaking of the ministry. It is said there is a need for both an inward call and an outward call. Inward being the predilection of your heart and desire to walk in a certain path with God. But until or unless that calling is confirmed by Others in a position to understand these things like a pastor or elders you cannot say for sure that you have been called.

From what you say it seems to me you're on the right path to finding your true calling(s) in life. Trust the Lord, study His word, and observe His providence, and get the advice of others, for in a multitude of counselors there is safety.

I'll try to get time to get some scripture back rub later.

I appreciate this sir, thank you.

It is said there is a need for both an inward call and an outward call. Inward being the predilection of your heart and desire to walk in a certain path with God. But until or unless that calling is confirmed by Others in a position to understand these things like a pastor or elders you cannot say for sure that you have been called.
Good example of the outworking of this calling you will find in Bunyan's "Grace Abounding"-autobiography as well as the diaries of George Whitefield.

As a reforming charismatic I worked through this some years ago. People think they can know the “secret will of God” (Deuteronomy 29:29) so they claim to be prompted inwardly (“called”) into this or that job or field or situation. Properly, the only way the Scripture uses the concept of our being called is as Christians; God calling us to himself and revealing his Son to us. Then we can know he called us to be saints.

People use the word “calling” to describe their jobs and ways they serve others. I think it’s confusing terminology because again, it implies that we can know unscripturated details of God’s decretive will.

The prophets and apostles were indeed directed by immediate revelation and could speak with certainty at times regarding God’s certain word to them regarding specific tasks or things to come. Those things having ceased however and no longer needed, we have the sure word of prophecy to guide us into al our decisions in life.

Edit: what Ed said about the calling into the ministry. I think that’s where one can affirm with the terminology of ‘calling’ since it’s affirmed by the church through ordination and the laying on of hands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back