What do you think of this Jonathan Edwards quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSlaveryToChrist

Puritan Board Junior
The following quote is from Jonathan Edwards, "Treatise on Grace."

The more you have of a rational knowledge of divine things, the more opportunity will there be, when the Spirit shall be breathed into your heart, to see the excellency of these things, and to taste the sweetness of them.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that quote. Theology gives us a deep delight in the person of God because theology reveals who he is. When we know the depth of total depravity, the infiniteness of God's holiness and comprehend the grace God has given us it should allow us to see the excellency and sweetness of the person of God himself.

Perhaps you are thinking about Edwards' use of the term "rational"? I can see what he's saying in that, the more knowledge and understanding we have of a Bible doctrine, the more we appreciate it. For example, when we studied Hebrews in my high-school Bible class, it really bolstered my assurance because I hadn't understood all the Old Testament imagery behind what Christ was fulfilling in on the cross.

That said, I don't think the term "rational" would apply to every apprehension of truth in that there are things that remain a mystery to us. And Edwards would acknowledge that too, I'm sure!

I thought the quote meant that the more we have of a historical knowledge of the Bible, the more opportunity will there be that the Holy Spirit will allow us to understand the Bible spiritually, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back