What do you make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broader evangelicalism is gradually beginning to believe that Mormons are Christians too because they believe in "Jesus" and are nice people.

What bothers me is that this appears to be entirely politically motivated. By the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's own definition of a "cult," Mormonism is obviously a cult. But on the heels of Billy telling Mr. Romney, "I'll do whatever I can to help you win," this move is ridiculous in its intellectual dishonesty.

I think this whole situation is additionally rather shocking given that (if I'm correct), this is the FIRST time that Billy Graham has either endorsed or attempted to use his influence to promote a presidential candidate. I think this is almost as sad as removing Mormonism from a list of cults. I believe that one of the highlights of Graham's career was his ability to relate to and connect with whoever was in the Oval Office regardless of politics. This changes all that.

Last edited:
What bothers me is that this appears to be entirely politically motivated. By the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's own definition of a "cult," Mormonism is obviously a cult. But on the heals of Billy telling Mr. Romney, "I'll do whatever I can to help you win," this move is ridiculous in its intellectual dishonesty.

Yep, Billy is helping Mitt whitewash the tomb, to make it more attractive to silly lever pullers.

What bothers me is that this appears to be entirely politically motivated. By the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's own definition of a "cult," Mormonism is obviously a cult. But on the heels of Billy telling Mr. Romney, "I'll do whatever I can to help you win," this move is ridiculous in its intellectual dishonesty.

:ditto:

Broader evangelicalism is gradually beginning to believe that Mormons are Christians too because they believe in "Jesus" and are nice people.

The Mormon missionaries are definitely taking a better marketing approach when coming to the door. Last week, two of them who looked 18-20 came to my door and said "we are disciples of Jesus Christ. We understand how difficult the world is today and the struggles that people have. Do you mind if we come in for a few minutes and pray with you and your family for whatever need you may have?" Very slick.

The acceptance of Mormonism is due to the same pressure that Christians have faced with opposing anything else against the spirit of the culture. We are not to be "intolerant" of anything - homosexuality, abortion, immoral business practices, and certainly "different denominations" like JWs, Mormons, etc. The word "cult" is no longer allowed.

Has Mormonism really changed THAT much to be acceptable? Did the elders pass some rulings in Salt Lake City over the past few years that have made it more orthodox? Have I missed something?

It is interesting that the Grahams have attacked Obama's theological liberalism but have said nothing about Romney's Mormonism.

I doubt Graham has anything to do with the website change seeing as he is beyond ancient.

The Mormon missionaries are definitely taking a better marketing approach when coming to the door. Last week, two of them who looked 18-20 came to my door and said "we are disciples of Jesus Christ. We understand how difficult the world is today and the struggles that people have. Do you mind if we come in for a few minutes and pray with you and your family for whatever need you may have?" Very slick.

The acceptance of Mormonism is due to the same pressure that Christians have faced with opposing anything else against the spirit of the culture. We are not to be "intolerant" of anything - homosexuality, abortion, immoral business practices, and certainly "different denominations" like JWs, Mormons, etc. The word "cult" is no longer allowed.

Has Mormonism really changed THAT much to be acceptable? Did the elders pass some rulings in Salt Lake City over the past few years that have made it more orthodox? Have I missed something?

It is interesting that the Grahams have attacked Obama's theological liberalism but have said nothing about Romney's Mormonism.

I met regularly with a friend of mine and some of the Mormon Missionaries on Campus. They were very dishonest about their beliefs about Jesus. In addition, I don't think many are well trained and their dishonesty flows from lack of knowledge about their own faith. In addition, I think it is hard to pin down what Mormon Theology is because it is primarily an experiential religion and not one that makes a whole lot of sense.

I met regularly with a friend of mine and some of the Mormon Missionaries on Campus. They were very dishonest about their beliefs about Jesus. In addition, I don't think many are well trained and their dishonesty flows from lack of knowledge about their own faith. In addition, I think it is hard to pin down what Mormon Theology is because it is primarily an experiential religion and not one that makes a whole lot of sense.

Tragically, the same could be said about much of Evanjellylical Christianity.

Yeah, from what I have learned this isn't surprising with Billy Graham. He did say awhile back I believe, that he believed if you never heard of Jesus you could still be saved by trying your best to be good, and probably with hearing Jesus too. I can't quite remember the exact context but, it was something to that effect.

Tragically, the same could be said about much of Evanjellylical Christianity.

I couldn't agree more, Brother.

18-20 year old elders!??

18-20 year old elders!??

Curt, when Mormon men graduate high school there expected to spent a few years in missionary service. In order be be member in good standing of the Mormon church. When they are acting within this capacity they have the title of elder.

Unusual to say the least.
I don't understand this to be theological, at all, but purely political so that the Evangelicals will be comfortable voting for the Mormon over the one raised muslim in Indonesia.

In case you haven’t noticed, isn’t the visible church being molded into the Politically Correct mindset? Lots of things you don’t talk about in many churches today.. Sin, homosexuality, other religions. Not that I bet my life on Barna polls, but a lot of polling out there through Barna, and Pew revealing a lot of different mindsets, from people who consider themselves Christians......I think tolerance of just about everything has become the new norm and fewer are daring to say things that would immediately get them branded as intolerant, bigot, racist, homophobe, nut case, etc..... Different world today, and to all you younger generations out there, I would simply say, you probably haven’t seen anything yet!!!!! Just wait....

I will repeat here an offer to supply a variety of tracts addressed to Mormons.

The PCA Historical Center holds the papers of Rev. Wes Walters, a noted researcher on Mormonism.

Wesley P. Walters Collection - Index

By way of that acquisition, I have a sizable box of extra tracts and pamphlets available for the asking.
I do request that you cover the cost of postage.

I will repeat here an offer to supply a variety of tracts addressed to Mormons.

The PCA Historical Center holds the papers of Rev. Wes Walters, a noted researcher on Mormonism.

Wesley P. Walters Collection - Index

By way of that acquisition, I have a sizable box of extra tracts and pamphlets available for the asking.
I do request that you cover the cost of postage.
I will definitely keep that in mind, Wayne. Thank you.

Its alllllll about the money :hug:

I'm not American, but I'm interested as to what would be the alternative?

No surprises here.
I live near the Billy Graham Museum of Evangelism and let me tell you it is not worth visiting.
All the supposed converts ended up falling away later.
Either that or they are the Bible-Belt Christians who go to church every Sunday and live like Atheists.

I would love to see a more consistent evangelist. Perhaps like the older ones?

Not a fan of Billy Graham. Not a fan at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back