What do you look for in a translation (a theological work translated into English)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Kimmich_Brexiteer

Puritan Board Freshman
In a theological work translated into English, what do you look for?

For example, if it's a Latin-English translation of a systematic theology, would people want:

A) a doggedly faithful translation (following all the contours of Latin syntax as much as possible), so that scholars can cite it with some confidence as to its accuracy,

OR

B) a highly readable translation (perhaps missing out one or two nonessential little words here and there to help the flow, switching up the syntax a little) so that lay readers may more easily understand, and be edified?

OR

C) a hybrid of the two?

It has to be understandable and accurate. That is always a difficult balance to achieve, but fortunately Latin is not too far removed from English. Are you planning on doing some Latin translation?

For example, if it's a Latin-English translation of a systematic theology, would people want:

A) a doggedly faithful translation (following all the contours of Latin syntax as much as possible), so that scholars can cite it with some confidence as to its accuracy,

OR

B) a highly readable translation (perhaps missing out one or two nonessential little words here and there to help the flow, switching up the syntax a little) so that lay readers may more easily understand, and be edified?

OR

C) a hybrid of the two?
It would depend if one were to use it for either scholarly research use, or for use as a pastor/teacher.

OR

OR

C) a hybrid of the two?
I prefer option "A" for Latin translations of systematics. ;)

Personally, I would want it to be highly readable. I have no need to see the minutiae, as I am not doing the sort of studies which might require that. If it is not readable, I probably will not put up with it for long.

Personally, I would want it to be highly readable. I have no need to see the minutiae, as I am not doing the sort of studies which might require that. If it is not readable, I probably will not put up with it for long.
That would only be a requirement if one was to that book as a source to cited for scholarly publication and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back