What differentiates "hymns" from "spiritual songs," from a non-EP perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Spiritual songs be songs that come from Scripture, but not the Psalms? Like how Calvin sang the 10 Commandments?

Could Spiritual songs be songs that come from Scripture, but not the Psalms? Like how Calvin sang the 10 Commandments?

R. Scott Clark defends the reformed historical view of the RPW and thinks that along with the Psalter the Church should sing also some inspired - scriptural songs.

In that sense Dr. Clark doesn't argue that from a strictly EP position (still reading the RPW elements of worship as Word, Prayer and Sacraments - without musical instruments or uninspiredhymns)

so that could be one response to Austin's question.

Yesterday I heard this message from him given at an RPCNA in La, very good, truly worth hearing, for its depth, clarity and some good sense of humour too !

4. High Noon: The Regulative Principle Rides Again - SermonAudio.com

The technical definition of a hymn is a religious song of worship that contains doctrinal exhortations in the form of multiple stanzas. A true hymn does not contain a "chorus" as that was more or less made popular by Ira Sankey, D.L. Moody's music leader.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

BTW, that's a GREAT rendition of "Be Thou My Vision"!

The technical definition of a hymn is a religious song of worship that contains doctrinal exhortations in the form of multiple stanzas. A true hymn does not contain a "chorus" as that was more or less made popular by Ira Sankey, D.L. Moody's music leader.

I think that's a modern definition. I doubt the Greeks defined a hymn as multipe stanzas without a chorus.

I am rather surprised that more attempts to define hymns or spiritual songs from a non EP perspective didn't show up.

I was thinking on starting another thread on Acapella EP but there seems to be few notice from the members here, maybe you guys are tired of former similar exhaustive & exhausting debates?

This sermon link below defends worship singing from the A capella Exclusive Psalmody perspective

But the reason why I am posting this is because it is such a terrific sermon in the way the preacher presents God's greatness, holiness, worthiness,

What a message! In a few words: Fear the Lord you saints and worship Him as He wants you to!

I feel like shouting LISTEN to this sermon (I already listened twice and will continue). It comes packed with Scripture, Divine unction, blessed wisdom and quotes from the puritans.

Don't pass this opportunity, I promise that you won't regret it.

Rev. Malcolm Watts. Purity of Worship

Purity of Worship - SermonAudio.com

I think the simple answer is most of them don't know and don't want to think about it. Some would say it's 'Psalms, hymns and hymns' and others think it's really just 'hymns, hymns and hymns'. If you asked them to explain they would answer you with a question like "maybe it's.....?".
I have John Macarthur's study Bible and his attempt was pure speculation. Starting with "It's possible that....." and what followed had no Biblical basis.

I don't mean to sound cynical, I can hardly blame the average non-EP church member, they are pretty much taught the way you worship God isn't important, as long as you do.
The amount of Christian churches than don't even sing one Psalm is unbelievable. I don't understand how they can overlook such a clear and obvious Biblical truth.

Those in my denomination put some emphasis on ambiguity of scripture.

So on instruments question; they are unwilling to ban acapella singing, a simple organ or even a full worship band with electric guitars. All are allowed.
And on the sung praise front it's just as wide, from traditional hymns to modern reformed to modern pentecostal hymns (<many popular hymns with todays youth have a big pentecostal influence in them). I only meant that someone in a traditional hymn singing church with an organ couldn't (and don't) say that modern hymns with a band is against the Bibles teaching, as long as it is done in spirit. The way I worded it in the previous comment was harsh, and they would say that EP is wrong too to be fair.

But for me it is clear the emphasis has majorly swayed towards worshipping in spirit in western Christianity.

Those in my denomination put some emphasis on ambiguity of scripture.

So on instruments question; they are unwilling to ban acapella singing, a simple organ or even a full worship band with electric guitars. All are allowed.
And on the sung praise front it's just as wide, from traditional hymns to modern reformed to modern pentecostal hymns (<many popular hymns with todays youth have a big pentecostal influence in them). I only meant that someone in a traditional hymn singing church with an organ couldn't (and don't) say that modern hymns with a band is against the Bibles teaching, as long as it is done in spirit. The way I worded it in the previous comment was harsh, and they would say that EP is wrong too to be fair.

But for me it is clear the emphasis has majorly swayed towards worshipping in spirit in western Christianity.

I think most of the Free Church is for a capella Psalms in the collective worship of God's people. About 15 congregations have apparently introduced exceptions to this since last November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back