What did Alexander the Coppersmith do to Paul?

Discussion in 'NT Epistles' started by Scott Shahan, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Shahan

Scott Shahan Puritan Board Sophomore

Just wondering if any on the PB knows what Alexander did to the Apostle Paul?

2 Timothy 14 Alexander the coppersmith did me great harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. 15 Beware of him yourself, for he strongly opposed our message. 16 At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them!

2. JKLeoPCA

JKLeoPCA Puritan Board Freshman

From Calvin's Commentary on those verses

His whole commentary is online, in case anyone was wondering at:

http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment3/comm_index.htm

Hope it helps ! :2cents:

3. JKLeoPCA

JKLeoPCA Puritan Board Freshman

Are you thinking maybe he compaired Paul's persecution to his own, and thus elaborated from there? That's one explanation I've heard before on this.

4. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

It's very logical - he did have legal training ( I think that would have been church law if I'm not mistaken) before his conversion.

I wonder if Alexander was one of the Jews who followed Paul around making trouble in all the cities he went to. Sort of a 1st Century Fred Phelps. (No, I'm not damning Fred Phelps, don't know God's secret will toward him, though it doesn't look good for him right now)

5. etexas

etexas Puritan Board Doctor

Matt Henry has some good stuff here..............long though, I just glanced at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.