What authors should I be reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would posters mine listing out 5 or so authors that are most important to read that you would recommend to me?

I always thought I was sort of "Reformed" but now I realize after being on this board Im not as much as I thought... As for me my go-tos are:
-Spurgeon
-Baxter
-Lewis (qualified)
-Piper
-Keller
-Poythress
-Begg, Allister
-Chandler, Matt
-Carson, D.A.
-Wright (qualified)
-Dever
-Gospel coalition blog/s

This year I will read Institutes, and will read some of the cappadocian fathers writings (any suggestions?), unless I hear better suggestions from you guys

I would set some basic theological categories and then fill them in with the suggestions. Some examples are systematic, biblical, practical, confessional and historical. That way your hitting all of the bases and not expecting a particular source to deliver what it cannot.

Real good suggestion..

And maybe have different eras, such as a Calvin for ST, to Berkhof, then to a Horton?

I love that you start with the "old dead guys." I think there is also great value in mixing in some modern writers who are greatly influenced by the Puritans... J.I. Packer and Sinclair Ferguson.

To underscore much of what has been said already, I recommend:

Augustine - The Confessions
Luther - Bondage of the Will and Basic Theological Writings (Edited by Lull)
Calvin - Necessity of Reforming the Church and The Institutes

For a modern day author, I appreciate Kevin DeYoung's books and blog.

I started Calvin's Institutes yesterday from a free ePUB from Monergism.

I have more highlighted passages than not at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gill or AA Strong were reformed Baptists, as was Spurgeon...

Dr Milliard Erickson was my text in school, Baptist, moderate calvinist, so as long as know where he comes from, does a nice job in giving curerent views and conflicting views on doctrines.

Dr Grudem also wasa popular text, good, but watch out his views on Trinity/Holy Spirit regarding gifts for today!

I would really recommend 'A puritan theology' by Dr Joel Beeke and Mark Jones.
David Sexton's "God's Battle Plan for the Mind" which is a really awesome encouragement to the practice of biblical meditation and introduction to what the puritans had to say about it.

I'd recommend William Gurnall's "Christian in Complete Armour" as a really wonderful practical work.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

David Sexton's "God's Battle Plan for the Mind" which is a really awesome encouragement to the practice of biblical meditation and introduction to what the puritans had to say about it.

I'd recommend William Gurnall's "Christian in Complete Armour" as a really wonderful practical work.

These all all excellent recommendations.

Note: if a Kiwi agrees with an Aussie they must be pretty good :lol:

That theolgy would be pretty much in the Heritage Reformation bible of his, correct?
I've actually not read his Reformation Heritage Study Bible but all of Beeke's work that i have read draws heavily on puritan sources and is very practical in its focus. I would be very surprised if the study bible was different in it's focus.
He has a wonderful little book on family worship which i cant recommend strongly enough (https://www.amazon.com/Family-Worship-Guidance-Joel-Beeke/dp/1601780583)

These all all excellent recommendations.

Note: if a Kiwi agrees with an Aussie they must be pretty good [emoji38]
Hahaha ..... good point [emoji3]

If you are looking to read some stuff particularly from a reformed baptist perspective there is John Gill's Bible Commentary which is really big and very thorough but I'd suggest his 'Cause of God and Truth" which is a defense of Calvinism written from reformed baptist perspective as a more approachable starting point (i personally have found commentaries really challenging to read).
And obviously A W Pink's writings are great! The Sovereignty of God is a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back