What are your Academic Interests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also know a good bit about pre-Soviet Russian history. I thought about writing an e-book on it a few years ago. Still have some of the notes. I knew a little of the language at the time but it wasn't the most pressing thing in the world.

I also love studying the English civil war (in other words, Puritanism applied to everyday life) and films on that period.

My academic research interests are Post-Reformation theology, English Puritanism (specifically John Flavel's life and theology), systematic theology, and symbolics.

My pastoral research interests are the practice of expository, doctrinal preaching, issues in biblical counseling, and the process of church revitalization.

Each category bleeds over into the other quite regularly, which keeps things interesting. :lol:

My academic research interests are Post-Reformation theology, English Puritanism (specifically John Flavel's life and theology), systematic theology, and symbolics.

My pastoral research interests are the practice of expository, doctrinal preaching, issues in biblical counseling, and the process of church revitalization.

Each category bleeds over into the other quite regularly, which keeps things interesting. :lol:
What Authors of ST?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who listed their interest in conspiracy theory, how many of you believe them?

You need to start with the premise that some conspiracy theories are concocted to be easily shown as false in order to debunk the entire field of study.

Second premise is that if you think you've gotten to the root of a conspiracy, you've only seen the tip of the iceberg. So folks that focus on a Masonic/Jesuit/Jewish/Group of your choice conspiracy have been duped and are missing the big picture.

Third premise is that only nuts and crackpots will think they can expose or do something about it. That's why it should be considered only of academic, and not practical, interest.

You need to start with the premise that some conspiracy theories are concocted to be easily shown as false in order to debunk the entire field of study.

Second premise is that if you think you've gotten to the root of a conspiracy, you've only seen the tip of the iceberg. So folks that focus on a Masonic/Jesuit/Jewish/Group of your choice conspiracy have been duped and are missing the big picture.

Third premise is that only nuts and crackpots will think they can expose or do something about it. That's why it should be considered only of academic, and not practical, interest.

What he said. Take "the Illuminati" and the vapid idiots in Hollywood who claim to be part of it. When Katy Perry said she sold her soul to Satan, I believe her. Nonetheless, I don't think she is part of an elite cabal. I think she and others are part of a "sex cult" that calls themselves "the Illuminati" but in truth is basically a front for a lot of things that go on behind the scene.

I do think we are seeing some stars come out and note the extreme pedophilia in Hollywood and D.C. And a lot of Satanists have worked that into their system. Don't want to go much further in speculation, though.

And the Masons. I doubt they run the world today. 1780s Europe and America is a different story. The thing of it is the elite, the moneyed and networked power in the world, uses these organizations for their purposes. But these organizations can become outdated. So new ones get used.

So do I believe in "conspiracy theories?" Well, which ones?

If we are going into conspiracy 'theories' I believe that JFK, and MLK were victims of a conspiracy, beyond a shadow of a doubt. As far as I know, those are the only controversial theories I give any credence to. Just got done with this book by Donald Byron Thomas, which is one of the best of the many I've read on the topic of JFK.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1626360286/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Not In Your Lifetime" by Anthony Summers and Gaeton Fonzi's "The Last Investigation." Two other 'must reads' on the topic.

What Authors of ST?

Hi David,

It typically varies according to what I'm researching. For example, I recently wrote on free will, and consulted several standard Reformed/Calvinistic ST's, as well as a fair number of Puritans.

The ST volumes I consulted were:

Calvin, Institutes
Berkhof
Hodge, Outlines of Theology
Hodge
Dabney
Reymond
Culver
Jim Boice
J.P. Boyce (Baptist)
Dagg (Baptist)
Gill (Baptist)
Turretin
Bavinck
Erickson (Baptist/gently Calvinistic)
Lloyd-Jones

Puritan writings:
Ames, Marrow of Theology
Flavel, Exposition of the Assembly's Catechism
Owen, Death of Death
Edwards, Freedom of the Will
a'Brakel, Christian's Reasonable Service
John Brown of Haddington, ST
Ussher, Body of Divinity
Watson, Body of Divinity

There were a few others I used as well (mostly commentaries and expositions of the 1689/WCF), but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Professional: cell biology, cancer biology, mitochondrial biology, cellular metabolism.

amateur: bioethics, new atheism.

In theology/history:

1. Hyper-Calvinism
2. Reformed diversity on Christ's satisfaction (atonement)
3. Covenants
4. Heidelberg catechism

Other:
1. Piano music
2. Education
3. America Chestnut history and restoration

For the record I am undecided on chemtrails.
Look up "geoengineering" to change the weather or prevent global warming. A form of the chemtrails conspiracy is true and NASA's website admits it. They are dropping things like metals to try to reflect solar radiation to cool the planet (the stated purpose).

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study

http://www.collective-evolution.com...tratospheric-aerosols-into-earths-atmosphere/

http://www.collective-evolution.com...tratospheric-aerosols-into-earths-atmosphere/

So yes, the government is spraying chemicals on us.

No wonder weird things are happening like our fish becoming transgender (do I sound like Alex Jones yet).

I had no idea you were that old!

One of the
Look up "geoengineering" to change the weather or prevent global warming. A form of the chemtrails conspiracy is true and NASA's website admits it. They are dropping things like metals to try to reflect solar radiation to cool the planet (the stated purpose).

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...nch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study

No wonder weird things are happening like our fish becoming transgender (do I sound like Alex Jones yet).

I have no doubt that sinister powers can alter the weather and use it as weapons. I even think they have done that. I've just never looked into chemtrails.

Past professional level studies and pursuits: Plant physiology, agronomy, soil chemistry, geophysics, agricultural imaging, music, French literature.

Current professional level interests (i.e. my work): tax law, bankruptcy law, and, most consuming over the past few years, criminal law--trial level and appellate.

Ongoing hobby-level academic interests: reading Hebrew and Greek Scripture, reading and translating Middle French theological writings (Calvin and his friends, including Viret), music composition and performance, hydrodynamics and boat design, PIC controller programming projects, applied horticulture (focusing on grapes and berry fruits), aerodynamics and aircraft modification (I'm considering building an airplane after having finished my boat). There are a whole bunch of other things that come and go depending upon my free time.

Oh, I forgot about astronomy. I ground a nice 8" Newtonian mirror to 1/8 wavelength accuracy and have my homemade telescope that needs setting back up after some maintenance.

And the Masons. I doubt they run the world today. 1780s Europe and America is a different story. The thing of it is the elite, the moneyed and networked power in the world, uses these organizations for their purposes. But these organizations can become outdated. So new ones get used.

Jospeh Smith (LDS founder) was a high ranking Mason and many of the LDS Temple practices and symbolism can be easily observed

Conspiracy theory people:

A few things:
1. I had no idea so many folks thought this, and if the people here at the PB board maintain then Im thinking there must be merit to it. I ask then, what are your news sources to get the "truth" (or at least mine it out)?
2. What are major conspiracies out there that I should be aware of?
3. What do you do with your knowledge that things aren't as what they seem?
4. Didn't a PB brother just quit his church and the PB board cause he had come to the conclusion the world was flat? Perhaps he had more friends here than he realized?
5. Is Hillary Clinton actually knocking all these people off?

Hi David,

It typically varies according to what I'm researching. For example, I recently wrote on free will, and consulted several standard Reformed/Calvinistic ST's, as well as a fair number of Puritans.

The ST volumes I consulted were:

Calvin, Institutes
Berkhof
Hodge, Outlines of Theology
Hodge
Dabney
Reymond
Culver
Jim Boice
J.P. Boyce (Baptist)
Dagg (Baptist)
Gill (Baptist)
Turretin
Bavinck
Erickson (Baptist/gently Calvinistic)
Lloyd-Jones

Puritan writings:
Ames, Marrow of Theology
Flavel, Exposition of the Assembly's Catechism
Owen, Death of Death
Edwards, Freedom of the Will
a'Brakel, Christian's Reasonable Service
John Brown of Haddington, ST
Ussher, Body of Divinity
Watson, Body of Divinity

There were a few others I used as well (mostly commentaries and expositions of the 1689/WCF), but you get the idea.
Quite a list! What were some of your main conclusions then on the topic of free will?

This will come as great news to my farmer friends here in Ohio. They can stop having their crops dusted at the unsafe altitude of 500 feet and now effectively dust them at the much safer altitude of 30,000 feet. They will be elated.

500 ft. What crops are you taking about? California redwoods

500 feet is actually a lot lower than you think when it comes to aviation. They will typically take the aircraft a little lower when passing directly over the crops, but FAA regulations do not allow for flying under 500 feet under normal circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back