What are your Academic Interests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Saints of the PB - what are your Academic Interests (and what do you have a pretty good understanding of even if it perhaps no longer is of great interested)?

For me:
-History of Mormonism (not that interested anymore but studies much; even did a stint at Claremont when Richard Lyman Bushman was instructing there)

-Neo-Calvinism (Just for the last 3 months or so, I dont know much of anything but the little I am putting together, often by the direction of PB brother Jacob, I am finding so compelling)

Saints of the PB - what are your Academic Interests (and what do you have a pretty good understanding of even if it perhaps no longer is of great interested)?

For me:
-History of Mormonism (not that interested anymore but studies much; even did a stint at Claremont when Richard Lyman Bushman was instructing there)

-Neo-Calvinism (Just for the last 3 months or so, I dont know much of anything but the little I am putting together, often by the direction of PB brother Jacob, I am finding so compelling)
What a fun thread!

On my CV, I have listed the following:
NT Studies
NT use of the OT
Book of Revelation
Gospel according to John
Biblical Theology

In addition to that, I should include 1689 federalism and CT.

Some of that is broad (e.g. NT studies). I wrote my thesis on the OT use in Rev. 2–3, specifically the covenantal features of the OT allusions. From that I have 2 articles published (1 in Neotestamentica and another upcoming in another publication which I will wait to make official once my final edits are approved and green-lighted).

I am beginning a PhD this Fall. I am either going to research intratextuality within John or something with 1689 federalism (argue for Paul's understanding of the dichotomy of the Abrahamic Covenant in Gal. 4).

In Biblical Theology, I am interested in the theological methodology by a thematic approach to BT (especially where protology/eschatology together frames one's method). Also, I'd like to apply a thematic approach to topics such as food and trees in the canonical metanarrative.

My academic interests are 1. Theological encylopedia (the relationship and inter-dependence of all the theological disciplines); 2. Old Testament studies, especially Ezekiel; 3. Exodus; 4. John; 5. Revelation; 6. Romans and the study of Paul; 7. Roman Catholicism; 8. Music.

Interests in which I am not an expert:
Dairy Cattle genetics
Domestic Duck genetics
Primitive [and related] Baptist History
History of Fundamentalism
Baroque chamber music

Interests in which I have a fair degree of expertise:
Communion tokens
Christianity in the Indian subcontinent
History of the decline in confessional orthodoxy of Anglicanism

Theology Proper (being, attributes, works of God)
Open Theism (as a heresy)

Secular:
Cellular radio engineering and protocol standards

False theologies within the Church, Charismatic Movement, Bible translations and textual criticism, Errors of Theistic Evolution, and right now, trying to get a better handle of Reformed theology from a baptist perspective, both historical and current.

Not to hijack your thread, but what do you find compelling about Neo-Calvinism?

Christian education
Marketing
Journalism

Most of my friends would think I should add theology and history. Indeed, I like to study those things. But when I compare myself to others on this board, I feel my study of those topics has been somewhat lacking.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the overlap between phenomenology and common sense realism.

I think there is a superficial resemblance in that both deal with the given. Phenomenology, though, was tied to Kant and Kant hated Common Sense Realism.

Theology, philosophy, preaching, textual criticism, and world religions (I teach this subject at a local community college).

Not to hijack your thread, but what do you find compelling about Neo-Calvinism?
No worries - Im glad you asked. What I find compelling is the fact that the Gospel preached is all 4 acts (rather than just the first 2 acts). The complete Bible story. It therefore touched on ALL aspects of my day to day life (spheres)... Most Christianity seems to be a heaven to gain and a hell to shun, and then some variation of moral/sin management, and finally to save as many people as i can from going to hell... But now Im seeing why we were created in the first place and reflecting the image of God is both honoring and enjoyable (creation mandate)... Im sure others can say it better, but that really is huge to me... I can actually trace it to the first time I sort of heard these things and its the talk here by Jon Tyson called "Joining God in the Renewal of All Things"... If you have a moment give a listen would love to hear your thoughts

Conspiracy theories (certainly NOT on my resume)
Propaganda movies
Commercial bankruptcies

probably in that order.

My professional experience is in being a wife and mother, and working in communication and environmental policy. I'm just an average pew-dweller with a love for Biblical Theology.

I'm interested in philosophy since I've discovered that to understand theology a background in philosophy is necessary. So currently delving into both of those disciplines is what I'm attempting nowadays. I'm also still trying to learn Koine on my own. Slow going, but I'm a retired old guy so all of this keeps my grey matter firing as it should ....... or so I think. :)

Belgic Confession/Guido de Bres, apologetics, missions/evangelism, church history in general (but especially Reformation and post-Reformation).

Mycology! I'm presently working on growing some agoricus bisporus in my basement while testing what medium works best for mycelial growth and whether or not it changes the taste of the mushroom itself.

My academic background is primarily cultural/political/sociological with barely any science or biology so this has been fun. I've learned a lot about cellular biology and botany too.

Strict and Particular Baptists (Philpot, Gadsby, etc.)
Latent Antinomianism (Saltmarsh, Dent, etc.)
All things Wilhelmus à Brakel
Canons of Dordt
Rutherford's 3 Covenant Theology

Tenkara fly fishing

An aside: I am having trouble with Ezekiel right now. What commentaries do you recommend?
A PM answer would be fine if I am too off topic.
I know you weren't asking me, but I highly recommend Fairbairn. That book taught me how to read prophecy.

Well...my undergrad was in history. I like learning more and more of the Austrian School of Economics. Strategic/principled non-violence. Also behavioral Psych. related to negotiation, customer/employee interaction, performance improvement and so forth.

For those who listed their interest in conspiracy theory, how many of you believe them? I find that in the mainstream conspiracy theory has an inherent connation that renders it false in most peoples' eyes.

In the last year or so my eyes have been open because of some so-called "conspirist theorists." E.g., U.S. foreign policy is nearly wholly guided by western oligarchic interests in establishing a one world market, the government, especially the CIA has lied to us horribly in the past and is seeking to impose a spystate on its citizens, etc.

For those who listed their interest in conspiracy theory, how many of you believe them? I find that in the mainstream conspiracy theory has an inherent connation that renders it false in most peoples' eyes.

In the last year or so my eyes have been open because of some so-called "conspirist theorists." E.g., U.S. foreign policy is nearly wholly guided by western oligarchic interests in establishing a one world market, the government, especially the CIA has lied to us horribly in the past and is seeking to impose a spystate on its citizens, etc.

"Seeking to impose?" LOL

All things Presbyterian--history, biography, polity, etc.

And on the side, trying to get into unplugged woodworking (eschewing power tools).

Even the crazy sounding conspiracies like chem-trails, in large part, has been shown to be true by NASA admission. AND the US gov't did give LSD to folks unawares (MK-Ultra)....who knows what else is afoot.

Even the crazy sounding conspiracies like chem-trails, in large part, has been shown to be true by NASA admission. AND the US gov't did give LSD to folks unawares (MK-Ultra)....who knows what else is afoot.
That people will still say "the government would never do that" is beyond me- no matter the admissions concerning forced sterilization of non-white women, kidnapping people and pumping them with LSD and meth "just to see," and that Congress made insider trading for themselves illegal only a few years ago.

Language studies - I know Spanish and Biblical Greek, working on Hebrew, and I have ambition to learn other languages for the sake of increasing access to people and knowledge only available outside the English language.

Accounting - This is also my day job.

Neuroscience and science of education - This is a passing interest, and I am an admitted amateur. I like to understand how the brain works, and how it may aid in learning, remembering, applying and improving knowledge. Combined with this is some interest in historical education methods, evaluating current methods, and understanding their strengths and weaknesses. I don't pursue these as a regular course of study, but so far as they help me improve in other studies. Bundled with this is some fascination with neural phenomenon such as autism, savantism, mental illness, and other abnormalities, as well as an appreciation for achieving and maintaining mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back