What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preachers With Power by Douglas Kelly

Select Writings of Benjamin Morgan Palmer

Writings of Thomas Peck

Yep - same author. In the time since Darwin's Black Box was written, revolutionary technologies have been developed that have allowed a higher volume of molecular data related to evolutionary theories to be generated, as well as higher accuracy of those data. These new data allow Behe to significantly extend his critique of Evolutionary theory. A few new Evolutionary theories have also been developed during this time to deal with these findings, and Darwin Devolves takes aim at these too. He also answers some of his more prominent critics in this new book. I'm only half way through, but I think that his most important contribution in the book is to provide compelling evidence that evolutionary mechanisms (mutation and natural selection) can lead to the development of new animal forms at the level of genius and species, but not at the level of family and above. This is something that I and many of my colleagues have often discussed - Behe does a convincing job of working this out.

In the Black Box, Behe provided information for the average reader first, then moved on to more the more advanced. Does he do that with Devolves?

Select Writings of Benjamin Morgan Palmer

Is this the Banner of Truth edition? I really enjoyed that one a lot.

Writings of Thomas Peck

I own these as well and have nibbled a bit here and there.

Once the time machine I'm building in my garage is finished I think my first stop is going to be Columbia, South Carolina anytime during the 19th Century. What a debt I owe to so many from that era.

In the Black Box, Behe provided information for the average reader first, then moved on to more the more advanced. Does he do that with Devolves?
My Kindle tells me I've read 62% of the book. Thus far, the book should be digestible by the average reader.

Is this the Banner of Truth edition? I really enjoyed that one a lot.

I own these as well and have nibbled a bit here and there.

Once the time machine I'm building in my garage is finished I think my first stop is going to be Columbia, South Carolina anytime during the 19th Century. What a debt I owe to so many from that era.

I rented Palmer's selected writings from the 1st Presbyterian Library in Columbia. It is the Banner of Truth edition.

I love the history here.

I wish that I could have met Girardeau as a boy while he was on James Island. Or listened to one of his sermons in Charleston. Maybe ride with him on one of his visits to a plantation.

So if you get that time machine built, I will join you on your trip to Columbia.

Non-Bible non-commentary reading, whenever I get a few minutes:

Theory of Wing Sections, Including a Summary of Airfoil Data
Abbott and Doenhoff (1959)

Steelhead Fly Fishing Nez Perce Country: Snake River Tributaries
Dan Landeen (2006)

The Ethics of Rhetoric, Richard Weaver

I am currently reading Barry Strauss's Masters of Command (on Alexander the Great, Hannibal, and Julius Caesar), Merve Emre's The Personality Brokers (a sobering history of the Myers-Briggs inventory and personality testing in general), and I just finished Plato's Crito and am about to move on the Phaedo, both dealing with the trial and death of Socrates. I'm also rereading the Iliad with my students.

Just finished a Bolivar biography, the Dune series, All Quiet on the Western Front, and now on Longitude. I have a book on the Peloponnesian War I think I will read next.
Which book on the Peloponnesian War? I'm about to start the one volume version of Donald Kagan's history of the war.

Letham's Systematic Theology, after his updated edition on the Trinity.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

George Eliot, Scenes of Clerical Life
Aristotle, Posterior Analytics
H. Norman Wright, The Complete Guide to Crisis and Trauma Counseling
Petrus van Mastricht, Theoretical-Practical Theology, v.2

I find it interesting that here on the Puritan board almost none of the books foiks are reading are by the Puritans.

I'm somewhat sheepish about how many books I currently have bookmarks in; it's not my preferred approach, but I've not been the most focused lately. A handful of them:

Each week I'm reading through a few sections of both Calvin's Institutes (my first time) and Chad van Dixhoorn's Confessing the Faith: A reader's guide to the Westminster Confession of Faith (very helpful).

Terry L. Johnson's The Identity and Attributes of God (prompted by a Sunday School class based on it)
Ember's End by S. D. Smith, from the Green Ember series for children
Also reading a sermon here or there from Lloyd-Jones's Spiritual Depression and the new volume Crucified and Risen: Sermons on the Death, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ by Calvin

Tonight, I am taking a break from my regular reading schedule to read through the Puritan, Thomas Vincent's God's Terrible Voice in the City.
Vincent was an eyewitness to the Great Fire and the Great Plague that devastated London. He lost seven in his household to the plague.
In these sermons, Vincent recalls the events, expounds on God's providences in such circumstances, and calls sinners to repentance before God brought even greater catastrophes upon them.
May hardened sinners hear our great and terrible God's voice in the events that are currently gripping the world and cry out in repentance!

Last edited:
Volume 3 of Stephen Charnock's works, which focuses on regeneration.

I finished this one yesterday. The content of Stephen Charnock's works are excellent, but the print-size is painfully small. Reading one volume of Charnock is basically equivalent to reading two of either John Owen, John Flavel, or George Swinnock's works. I do not currently own volume 5 of Charnock's works, but I think I will read a couple of volumes of John Newton before acquiring or at least completing Charnock's final volume.

In my one previous post I didn't think to mention my 6th consecutive year using the M'Cheyne 1 Year Bible Reading Plan. Comprised of one chapter in the OT, and one in the NT, morning and evening. Rarely a third chapter has been added to one or both readings.

I also avail myself of D.A. Carson's two volume commentary on the M'Cheyne plan immediately after the Bible reading. 'For The Love Of God.' Volume one has a page for each day unpacking (a favorite phrase of his) one of the two chapters in the morning reading, and volume two the same for the evening reading.

In my one previous post I didn't think to mention my 6th consecutive year using the M'Cheyne 1 Year Bible Reading Plan. Comprised of one chapter in the OT, and one in the NT, morning and evening. Rarely a third chapter has been added to one or both readings.

I also avail myself of D.A. Carson's two volume commentary on the M'Cheyne plan immediately after the Bible reading. 'For The Love Of God.' Volume one has a page for each day unpacking (a favorite phrase of his) one of the two chapters in the morning reading, and volume two the same for the evening reading.
That probably because the OP request was fresher on your mind! Haha :

Outside of the Bible and commentaries, what are you currently reading?

But I am still glad to know it brother.:detective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back