What are You Reading - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon
"Salt Water Poems and Ballads" by John Masefield

Recently purchased the Puritan box set from Banner of Truth. Read The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson first. I've moved onto Prayer by John Bunyan.

Also just received the 4 volume set of Reformed Dogmatics by Herman Bavinck. I'm currently focusing on studying the section on the Sacraments.

I just finished C.S. Lewis The Abolition of Man, good, though at times over my head. I am also reading

True for You, But Not For Me by Paul Copan
Church History in Plain Language 2nd Ed. by Bruce Shelley
A Bounty of Blandings by P. G. Wodehouse.

I hope that sometime this year I will actually start on Calvin's Institutes. I read a number of history, biography and Dorothy L. Sayers books last year.

Last edited:
This will be year two of reading the M'Cheyne Bible reading plan. In addition, I've committed to reading the following in 2021:
  • Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion (Beveridge Translation) - just started two nights ago.
  • J.C. Ryle's Expository Thoughts on the Gospel of Matthew - just started.
  • Vos' Reformed Dogmatics - not started yet.
I have tons of others on the "to read" list, if I make it through Calvin and Vos early. I won't lie; those two intimidate me.

I plan to study Leviticus, Romans, and Psalms for 2021 in private and family worship. Using Matthew Henry as my primary guide.

Outside of Scripture I plan to read:
  • Brakel’s TCRS (currently on Vol. 3 & 4 and the separate work on Revelation). This will be my 1st systematic read cover- to-cover.
  • Burroughs’s Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Watson’s Heaven Taken by Storm
  • The Original Westminster Standards With corresponding directories and documents (gonna try to read this annually).
  • If time allows I will also plan to read Durham’s Sermons on the book of Job

1. Debunking Howard Zinn
2. The Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World: from Marathon to Waterloo
3. Presbyterians in Ireland : An Illustrated History
4. Christ the Fountain of Life (John Cotton)

Probably only 3 of those 4 for January

Currently reading:
  • The Touchstone of Sincerity by John Flavel
  • Meditations on the Lord's Supper by Edward Reynolds
  • Rev. William S. White and His Times
With my wife:
  • The Diary of Kenneth MacRae
To the children:
  • A Confederate Trilogy for Young Readers (lives of Lee, Jackson, and Stuart)
  • Pilgrim's Progress

Trying to cut down the number of books on the go at one time but I still end up with a handful!

Collected Works Vol 2 John Murray
Rutherford’s Letters Samuel Rutherford
By Faith - Sermons on Heb 11 Thomas Manton
Mission of God Joe Boot (this is for a Zoom Book Study)

Reformed Systematic Theology: Volume 2: Man and Christ by Joel R. Beeke and Paul M. Smalley (almost done)
Old Paths: Being Plain Statements on Some of the Weightier Matters of Christianity by J. C. Ryle
Sermons on Some Words of St. Paul by H. P. Liddon
The Life of Samuel Johnson, LL.D by James Boswell
Day by Day by Vance Havner
The Believer's Daily Remembrancer, or, Pastor's Morning Visit by James Smith
The Believer's Daily Remembrancer, or Pastor's Evening Visit by James Smith
A Book of Days for the Literary Year, edited by Neal T. Jones
Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year, edited by Allie Esiri
Voices from the Past by W. B. Marsh
Picture by Lillian Ross
The Anatomy of Bibliomania by Holbrook Jackson (just started)
The Last American Aristocrat: The Brilliant Life and Improbable Education of Henry Adams by David S. Brown
History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison by Henry Adams

Hoping to start pretty soon (I'm trying to get our pastor to use this as our next mens' fellowship group book):

A Radical, Comprehensive Call to Holiness by Joel R. Beeke and Michael P. V. Barrett

Reformed Preaching, Joel Beeke. Started a couple days ago.
Sermons on Lamentations, David Dickson.
The Book of Isaiah, Chap 40-66, John Oswalt.
Just finished Mountain, Canyon, and Backcountry Flying, Amy Hoover and R.K Williams.
We're reading John Oswalt as we work through Isaiah in school this year. It has generally been very good. What are your thought on the Lamentations sermons?

We're reading John Oswalt as we work through Isaiah in school this year. It has generally been very good. What are your thought on the Lamentations sermons?
I appreciate Oswalt quite a bit. It is refreshing to see a modern commentator take Isaiah at his word.

Dickson's Lamentations is worth savoring--I'm only a quarter way through. It puts me in the proper frame of mind for studying Isaiah as well. The sermons could have been written for our times, actually.

Then again, studying the decline and fall of Jerusalem through the prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah is appropriate for our times in general.

Ok, bit of an update for me. I've been going through Eight Tales of Terror; a compilation of Edgar Allan Poe stories at the request of my sons. I also just got haul from RHB in the mail today for the semester along with a book for my own personal growth thrown in the mix. The Cure for Unjust Anger by John Downame.

I'm reading too much stuff at once. I'm turning into my wife.

I'm studying the WS by Pipa's study guide on the Lord's day. "Know Why You Believe" by Scott Oliphint
Also, reading "Essentialism" by Greg McKeown, "Sacred Cow" by Robb Wolf and Diane Rodgers, and "Cynical Theories" by Pluckrose and Lindsay.
Also, making my way through programming and technical books. I doubt they have any interest here.

I'm contemplating just reading Matthew Henry's commentary cover to cover this year, on top of my normal Bible reading plan.

Also, making my way through programming and technical books. I doubt they have any interest here.

What topics / languages? I used to be a pure C guy, but I'm coming around on C++. When I finally read the design patterns book I was won over. Haven't read any particular technical books recently though, although I've been meaning to get to The Mathematical Theory of Communication by Shannon for awhile.

What topics / languages? I used to be a pure C guy, but I'm coming around on C++. When I finally read the design patterns book I was won over. Haven't read any particular technical books recently though, although I've been meaning to get to The Mathematical Theory of Communication by Shannon for awhile.
Python (mainly), VBA, statistics and analytics. Soon I’ll be learning R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back