What are You Reading - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Greetings Friends,

With the new year upon us I thought it would be fun to discuss a monthly "what are you reading?" for 2021.

If you are like me you've got bookmarks hanging out of a dozen books at any given time, so to limit the list only provide your current "Top 5" for January 2021. If you tackle a single volume at a time then feel no obligation to list more than one.

Here goes mine in no particular order:

1. The Promise of the Future by Cornelis P. Venema
2. Pastoral Theology Volume 1 by Albert N. Martin
3. On the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons by John A. Broadus
4. By What Standard by R.J. Rushdoony
5. The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson

What about you?

[Edit: feel free to also include any book purchases you make during the month of January as well. I enjoy seeing what others are interested in.]

I'm trying to start the year by reading very quickly through the whole Bible and finish by the end of the month. We'll see if it happens (unlikely!) but I'm using the NIV Reader's Bible. I imagine that will take up most/all of my reading time if I'm to have much of a chance of hitting my goal!

Reformed Preaching, Joel Beeke. Started a couple days ago.
Sermons on Lamentations, David Dickson.
The Book of Isaiah, Chap 40-66, John Oswalt.
Just finished Mountain, Canyon, and Backcountry Flying, Amy Hoover and R.K Williams.

1. Devoted to God’s Church by Sinclair Ferguson.
2. Crucified and Risen (Sermons on Matthew 26-28) by John Calvin
3. A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine.
4. The Pilgrim’s Progress part 2, Bunyan (I try and read part 1 and 2 every December, but didn’t quite finish).

1. Killing Crazy Horse (started last month)
2. A Change of Heart - Thomas Oden
3. A history of Christianity in Asia vol. 1 - Samuel Moffat
4. 2000 Years of Christ's Power - Needham
5. The Great Awakening - Tracy

1) On the Apostolic Preaching by Irenaeus.
2) On the Incarnation by Athanasius.
3) Reading the Bible Supernaturally by John Piper.
4) All That Is in God by James Dolezal.
5) From the Finger of God by Philip Ross.

Having said that, it will very much depend how much reading college have us doing this month!

Last edited:
On the book purchase front I'm expecting the delivery of John Gill's "A Complete Body of Doctrinal and Practical Divinity" sometime next week.

After turning off my self-imposed book allowance for much of 2020 I turned it on again for 2021.

Reading through the KJV once through OT & twice through NT in 90 days - also reading The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson

In addition to my normal Scripture reading, two big projects this year.
  1. Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 vols)
  2. Works of John Owen (23 vols)
It's a little less than 60 pages a day total to work through them both over the course of the year. Apart from those big projects, currently in progress are:
  1. The Trinitarian Faith, TF Torrance
  2. The Christian Sabbath, Robert Martin
  3. Critical Race Theory: An Introduction, Richard Delgado
Those three should all be finished by the end of January.

1. Devoted to God’s Church by Sinclair Ferguson.
2. Crucified and Risen (Sermons on Matthew 26-28) by John Calvin
3. A Sure Guide to Heaven by Joseph Alleine.
4. The Pilgrim’s Progress part 2, Bunyan (I try and read part 1 and 2 every December, but didn’t quite finish).

For anyone with children, I recommend this edition of Pilgrim's Progress.

Just got through Part 1 of PP for second time, working through Part 2 for first time.

For myself, Proverbs by Charles Bridges. Finish the Institutes, DV.

Classical Apologetics by R. C. Sproul, John Gerstner, and Arthur Lindsley
Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica; or, The Doctrine of the Church of England Consonant to Scripture, Reason, and Fathers by William Beveridge (just started reading it)

For anyone with children, I recommend this edition of Pilgrim's Progress.

Absolutely! That was a family favorite growing up and is now a favorite with our kids. The illustrations are magnificent and the language is directly from Bunyan's English. However, I am a bit disappointed that they changed a few things, most prominently Ignorance is merely turned away at the Celestial City and is never seen again, whereas Bunyan's original has him carried directly to the entrance to hell.

I'm reading:
J. Gresham Machen: A Biographical Memoir by Ned Stonehouse
The Confessional Presbyterian vol 8 (I own all the way through 16 but I am embarrassingly behind but hope to catch up considerably this year)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
The BFG by Roald Dahl (much to our kids' delight)
Build it on the Rock #5 by Joel Beeke (also to our kids' delight)
The New World by Winston Churchill
Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
Planting, Watering, Growing a Confessional Church by Daniel Hyde

I couldn't narrow it down to five since I'm very actively reading (and enjoying) all of these.

Planting, Watering, Growing a Confessional Church by Daniel Hyde

This one is new to me. Seems interesting.

I recently picked up Hyde's With Heart and Mouth: An Exposition of the Belgic Confession.

Live Not by Lies by Rod Dreher is one I really want to get finished this month. If I can get to it in any free time outside of seminary reading, I’d like to read The Terror by Dan Simmons for a change of pace. Seminary reading is going to chew up most of my time though.

Classical Apologetics by R. C. Sproul, John Gerstner, and Arthur Lindsley
Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica; or, The Doctrine of the Church of England Consonant to Scripture, Reason, and Fathers by William Beveridge (just started reading it)

I forgot to mention J. C. Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Mark, which I am currently reading in both morning and evening devotions. I usually try to read two different books and use two different commentaries. I have Phil Ryken's Exodus commentary on Logos and I am tempted to start reading it.

Last week I took a break from anything theological and read Robert Kurson's Rocket Men, about the Apollo 8 voyage to the moon. It was a relaxing and interesting read, highly recommended if that sort of thing interests you. As it took place at the end of 1968, considered a hard year in America, it was the prefect book for the end of 2020.

I just used a gift card to buy Carl Trueman's The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self and Todd Billings' The End of the Christian Life: How Embracing Our Mortality Frees Us to Truly Live.

I've been reading The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11. For fiction, rereading Lord of the Rings a little at a time.

Tiberian Hebrew Phonology by Joseph Malone;
La perspectiva cristiana by Julián Marías;
Instrucciones historico-theologicae by John Forbes
Lectures on Government and Binding by Noam Chomsky

I want to finish all of Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey novels.
I want to finish reading through all of Shakespeare (I have about ten more plays).
Demo(no)cracy in America by de Tocqueville
Sir Phillip Sydney, The Major Works
Francis Bacon, The Major Works

On Grand Strategy, John Lewis Gaddis (interesting, if a bit jumbled in organization)
The Story of China, Michael Wood (my newest China read; good so far)
Job, Francis I Andersen (commentary)
Persian Christians at the Chinese Court, Todd Godwin (academic and a bit dull, but worth it)
Don Quixote, Miguel Cervantes (reread; it's Don Quixote -- what can i say?)

*BONUS* The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle (multiple rereads :rolleyes:)

In addition to M'Cheyne, I read through Gurnall last year.

This year: M'Cheyne and Naphtali Press's "Christ Crucified" and Commentary on Revelation Vol 1, both by James Durham. This will be the first time in a while I will commit myself to reading extensively from paper and ink instead of my Kindle. I don't know how much Christ Crucified weighs, but my arms are already tired!

Institutes by John Calvin
Showing the Spirit by D.A. Carson
Lectures on Revivals by W.B. Sprague
Embarrassment of Riches by Simon Schama (an interpretation of dutch culture in the golden age)
The Reign of Charles V by William Maltby
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Wheelock's Latin

GreenLights by McConaughey
Dirt by Stuart Woods
Lectures on Ancient Philosophy by Hall
Postmillennialism by Mathison
The Mission of God by Boot
The Puritan Hope by Murray

To start:

Stonewall Jackson
Covenant Theology