What are you listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wretched Man

Puritan Board Freshman
I enjoyed reading the recent “What are you reading?” thread and was similarly curious what others might be listening to regarding theology - or anything.

I recently started listening to the White Horse Inn this past year and would like to get into another podcast.

I have a bunch of podcasts in my feed, but the only ones I listen to regularly are:

Hardcore History by Dan Carlin
The Briefing by Albert Mohler
The Heidelcast by RS Clark

Thanks for reminding me about WHI - I'll subscribe to them now too.

Some other good Reformed podcasts:
-Reformed Forum
-Presbycast
-The Jerusalem Chamber
-Mortification of Spin
-The Dividing Line

A more general podcast that is not Reformed only, but often has Reformed perspectives, I like is Unbelievable with Justin Brierly

Today, I listened to Paul Miller's talk based on his book, J-Curve: Dying and Rising with Jesus in Everyday Life. Highly recommended. I found it a good companion to my favorite Reformed Forum podcast episode in recent memory, "The Usefulness of the Cross" on Christ the Center.

Generally, I mostly stick to Reformed Forum and a few sports radio programs.

Not really into podcasts. Recently starting listening to Robert McCurley's (FCSC) lectures on the Westminster Shorter Catechism. I frequently turn to Todd Ruddell (RPCGA) and Gavin Beers (FCSC) for different subjects I'm studying or interested in. Craig Scott (RPCNA) is one of my favorites to listen to as well.

I do not listen to most reformed podcasts on principle:

--1. They focus on criticizing others instead of building up. They must engage in the Controversy of the Day instead of irenic timeless truth.

--2. It is the most tech-savvy and not the most learned who put out podcasts, mostly 20 or 30-something polemical types who are often jerks in real life.

-I like Dan Carlin's Hardcore history and the Trojan War podcast. Good stuff.

This resonates with me quite a bit and I appreciate you mentioning it. Given the state of the west I have found it impossible to find any resources dealing with news analysis that is not critical of our day. In a way I find the critical voice both necessary and unavoidable.

If I may ask, how do you stay abreast of "current events" that are impacting the church?

This resonates with me quite a bit and I appreciate you mentioning it. Given the state of the west I have found it impossible to find any resources dealing with news analysis that is not critical of our day.

If I may ask, how do you stay abreast of "current events" that are impacting the church?

I am happier when I do not stay abreast. The church is thousands of years old, I don't need to hear of every small minute problem that arises. It makes me happier to be out of the 24/7 news cycle and the expectation that we all comment and approve or disapprove of the latest church news.

It gives me greater peace of mind and helps me mediate on the timeless instead of the latest outrage.

I almost died last year...so I am content to miss out on the latest smart-aleck remark on Twitter from James White, et al.

p.s. your avatar name is BLM, does that stand for Black Lives Matter? Or Bacon, Lettuce, and Mater? ;)

I am happier when I do not stay abreast. The church is thousands of years old, I don't need to hear of every small minute problem that arises. It makes me happier to be out of the 24/7 news cycle and the expectation that we all comment and approve or disapprove of the latest church news.

It gives me greater peace of mind and helps me mediate on the timeless instead of the latest outrage.

I almost died last year...so I am content to miss out on the latest smart-aleck remark on Twitter from James White, et al.

p.s. your avatar name is BLM, does that stand for Black Lives Matter? Or Bacon, Lettuce, and Mater? ;)

There is a real sense in which ignorance can be blissful. The peace of mind you describe is how I felt the day I ceased to be a political news junkie. We haven't had the T.V. hooked up to cable in over 10 years and I'm not on facebook, twitter, (fill in the blank), etc. So, I truly get what you mean.

Regarding the meaning of "BLM", you came mighty close to guessing correctly my friend! You must have spent your time recovering from your near death experience binge watching "Wheel of Fortune", as you got 2 out of 3 correct! BLM = "Babies Lives Matter".

I stopped following the news and social media years ago and am much happier doing so.

I’m sorry to hear you’re so jaded with reformed podcasts. I’ve generally liked James White, though find it difficult to follow him for other reasons. Regarding his Twitter (which I don’t follow) and general animosity towards many others, I’d probably attribute most of it to his constant presence in the news and interactions with heretics. If I spent as much time as he did reading about heretical arguments, atrocities, and personal attacks against me in the news, I might be equally bitter.

I stopped following the news and social media years ago and am much happier doing so.

I’m sorry to hear you’re so jaded with reformed podcasts. I’ve generally liked James White, though find it difficult to follow him for other reasons. Regarding his Twitter (which I don’t follow) and general animosity towards many others, I’d probably attribute most of it to his constant presence in the news and interactions with heretics. If I spent as much time as he did reading about heretical arguments, atrocities, and personal attacks against me in the news, I might be equally bitter.

He'd be fine if he only attacked heretics, but he treats all of his opponents the same and attacks them all as if they were heretics. This is par for the course for many on Twitter and is why I avoid it. Very off-putting. I reserve my ill-mannered rants only for the Puritanboard.

Not really into podcasts. Recently starting listening to Robert McCurley's (FCSC) lectures on the Westminster Shorter Catechism. I frequently turn to Todd Ruddell (RPCGA) and Gavin Beers (FCSC) for different subjects I'm studying or interested in. Craig Scott (RPCNA) is one of my favorites to listen to as well.
We are on the same “wavelength.”

Not much time to listen to sermons these days but sure finding encouragement listening to CityAlight.

I used to listen to the White Horse Inn ages ago! I've taken more and more of a dislike to listening and watching rather than reading, though. I like the ability to pause as well as change the pace at which I am reading, something you can't really do with a podcast or documentary. But that's just me! -- I don't have much against the medium and I know being able to listen to great podcasts and audio Bibles has been a great blessing to many Christians, and twice so when they can't read because of their eyes.

Still, I like to stick a podcast on in the kitchen from time to time. I listen to David Robertson's Quantum to keep abreast of events as it's helpful to 'know the times' and when evangelising. David Robertson was the minister of St Peter's in Dundee, which was M'Cheyne's church and is Sinclair Ferguson's. Quantum is quite informative and critical while still being very gracious and always holding out the need for the gospel in our day and age.

I've also been listening to the original recordings of Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones' Preaching and Preachers, which he delivered at Westminster Theological Seminary. There's some real gems and sound advice from the experienced preacher.

You're listening to the cream of Reformed preaching and teaching, in my opinion.

I do not have any podcasts because I am a technological Luddite. This week I have listened to Bach's St Matthew Passion, Haydn's Creation, and Jeeves and Wooster radio dramatizations. I have downloaded many sermons from sermon audio, Ligonier, and other Christian speakers.

Podcasts I’m listening to is the Crossway one, Wretched Radio, Ask Pastor John and my favourites, Doctrine and Devotion and Renewing Your Mind

Last edited:
Barry Strauss's Antiquitas podcast on ancient history, and I have just started Lars Brownworth's Twelve Byzantine Rulers.

Christ the Center
Carl Trueman's church history lectures (again)
History of Byzantium
Mortification of Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back