What are the Church Trends Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
What is happening in the church today (as well as a couple of our sectarian/cultic cousins)? Check out this report from yesterday's The Wasthington Times. http //video1.washingtontimes.com/beliefblog/2008/02/which_ churches_are_the_country.html

1. The Roman Catholic Church, 67,515,016 members, an increase of .87 percent.

2. Southern Baptist Convention, 16,306,246 members, an increase of .22 percent.

3. The United Methodist Church, 7,995,456 members, a decrease of .99 percent.

4. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5,779,316 members, an increase of 1.56 percent.

5. The Church of God in Christ, 5,499,875 members, no increase or decrease reported.

6. National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc., 5,000,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

7. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 4,774,203 members, a decrease of 1.58 percent.

8. National Baptist Convention of America, Inc., 3,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

9. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), 3,025,740 members, a decrease of 2.36 percent.

10. Assemblies of God, 2,836,174 members, an increase of .19 percent.

11. African Methodist Episcopal Church, 2,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

11. National Missionary Baptist Convention of America, 2,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

11. Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc., 2,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

14. The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), 2,417,997 members, a decrease of .94 percent.

15. Episcopal Church, 2,154,572 members, a decrease of 4.15 percent.

16. Churches of Christ, 1,639,495 members, no increase or decrease reported.

17. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, 1,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

17. Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc., 1,500,000 members, no increase or decrease reported.

19. The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, 1,443,405 members, an increase of .21 percent.

20. American Baptist Churches in the U.S.A., 1,371,278 members, a decrease of 1.82 percent.

21. United Church of Christ, 1,218,541 members, a decrease of 0.47 percent.

22. Baptist Bible Fellowship International, 1,200,000, no increase or decrease reported.

23. Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, 1,071,616 members, no increase or decrease reported.

24. The Orthodox Church in America, 1,064,000, no increase or decrease reported.

25. Jehovah's Witnesses, 1,069,530 members, an increase of 2.25 percent.

We see that that the Mormon's and the JW's are the fastest growing out of the organizations listed and are the only ones with an increase above 1%. Much of the Roman Catholic growth is probably due to immigration.

With the struggles they're having, it's no real surprise that the Episcopal Church took a really big hit. I wonder where they went?

Waaaa, My PCUSA was second in losses only to Episcopal Church's. No wonder though, with the liberal's in power. It is a sign of God's providence that HE builds His church, not us humans. The church's that teach the Bible will grow. That's also probably why they (Reformed church's) were not on the list. The Lib/Bafthian's wouldn't be able to handle the truth!

Last edited:
TEC/ECUSA losses

With the struggles they're having, it's no real surprise that the Episcopal Church took a really big hit. I wonder where they went?

I'll come out of lurking as the quietly resident Episcopalian to answer. Many congregations left the oversight of ECUSA and have found oversight with foreign Anglican Churches, especially in South America and Africa. Other congregations have simply become independently anglican or have affiliated with the anglican alphabet soup (UECNA, APA, ACA, REC, etc).

My opinion is that a good deal of the 2006 losses come from the movement of The Falls Church to Nigerian oversight and Christ Church in Plano, TX that did something similar. Those are two large congregations that left amidst the goodly number of smaller congregations.

I think I'm about at the risk of taking this off-topic, so I'll quit while I'm ahead!

Hope this helps,
Jason

Waaaa, My PCUSA was second in losses only to Episcopal Church's. No wonder though, with the liberal's in power. It is a sign of God's providence that HE builds His church, not us humans. The church's that teach the Bible will grow. That's also probably why they (Reformed church's) were not on the list. The Lib/Bafthian's wouldn't be able to handle the truth!

PC(USA) is losing faster than the UM and the UCC. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back