Westminster Larger Catechism #165

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG

Puritan Board Junior
In The Westminster Larger Catechism A Commentary by Johannes G. Vos page 473 8. he says:

" To be baptized, in the true sense and use of baptism, involves union with Christ and faith in Christ. By faith in Christ the believer is adopted into God's family. Thus baptism is a sign and seal of adoption."

The language used here seems a little ambiguous. When I was a Baptist I certainly thought so. I also thought that there was a certain amount of equivocation going on also. Now I believe that Baptism is Regeneration and the sign of Regeneration/Baptism is the Application of water. However most Presbyterians don't talk the way that I am. Can someone tell me why that when we talk of Baptism that we don't simply say that we mean Regeneration? And the sign of Regeneration also called Baptism is the Application of Water. Are we so affraid of being associated with Baptismal Regeneration that we shy away from the natural language? I think that if we used this language it would be very helpful.

As WLC165 says, before it gets to regeneration, baptism is "to be a sign and seal of ingrafting into himself," speaking of union.

I think by "true," JGV is using a synonym for "full", or such-like; that is to speak of participation in both the substance and the administration of the covenant of grace. Baptism is effectual by faith alone, which is God's gift to his elect. According to the WCF:
27:3 The grace which is exhibited in or by the sacraments rightly used, is not conferred by any power in them: neither doth the efficacy of a sacrament depend upon the piety or intention of him that doth administer it: but upon the work of the Spirit, and the word of institution, which contains, together with a precept authorizing the use thereof, a promise of benefit to worthy receivers.

28:6 The efficacy of Baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance, the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred, by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God’s own will, in His appointed time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back