Westminster Directory for Public Worship and Lining of the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Steelite politely ended his conversation with me when I disagreed with him as to it being a requirement. I told him that I lined out Psalms only when I though it practical. For example, my wife and I were riding with our Pastor and his family with the Pastor driving their family van. He wanted us to sing Psalms together, so I lined them out for us while riding shotgun.

A Steelite politely ended his conversation with me when I disagreed with him as to it being a requirement. I told him that I lined out Psalms only when I though it practical. For example, my wife and I were riding with our Pastor and his family with the Pastor driving their family van. He wanted us to sing Psalms together, so I lined them out for us while riding shotgun.

Their position seems to suggest that the decisions of the 1638-49 Scottish General Assembly were virtually infallible. Why can other church courts not amend decisions taken hundreds of years ago? :blah:

Their position seems to suggest that the decisions of the 1638-49 Scottish General Assembly were virtually infallible. Why can other church courts not amend decisions taken hundreds of years ago? :blah:
It has to do I think among other things with their view of attainments. However, I actually have toned down the article some from its earlier form since the modern reincarnation of the Steelite system in our day seems to have foundered on its most obvious error, requiring an implicit faith.

:agree:

Contradicts their own confession, 31:4

"IV. All synods or councils, since the apostles' times, whether general or particular, may err; and many have erred. Therefore they are not to be made the rule of faith, or practice; but to be used as a help in both."

The decision of said assembly to "line out the Psalms" should have been a help to faith and practice at that time - but not at all times in all places. :2cents:

It has to do I think among other things with their view of attainments. However, I actually have toned down the article some from its earlier form since the modern reincarnation of the Steelite system in our day seems to have foundered on its most obvious error, requiring an implicit faith.

:ditto: You would almost need a PhD in church history and historical theology in order to be a member in the Steelites. While I can see some benefit in lining out the Psalms, they take it way too far. :worms:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back