West Ham vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I am in London this week, doing research in the British Library. However, since the manuscripts room closes at 5 pm, I am at a loose end in the evenings. Hence I am currently sitting in an internet cafe outside Upton Park before the game between West Ham and Everton - its an FA cup replay, so my ticket cost a measly £25.

All being well, I will also be at White Hart Lane tomorrow for the Spurs vs Burnley game - the ticket for it was even cheaper - £20, which is the price of two Irish League games.

Rumours that Jambo and Backwoods Presbyterian are currently being eaten up with jealousy upon reading this post can neither be confirmed or denied. :lol:

If you can't get tickets to watch the Jambos, then I think it's a good idea to try and get tickets to see some of these lesser teams from the lower leagues as they could be doing with the money. I forgot the game was on until I read your post so I have just changed channel to watch it. Personally, I would like to see Everton win.

Now for extra time and hopefully penalties. Looked quite an exciting second half

All over and exciting stuff. Thought it was never going to end. The team in blue lost (even although they played in white) and I only hope the team in blue lose on Friday night too.

It was a brilliant game, and the right team one. I have never seen a penalty shot-out at a match I have attended before, so it was interesting to see it go down to the goalkeepers' kicks. I look forward to viewing the Spurs v Burnley match tonight.

You will be watching the two claret and blue teams that are a far cry from the real claret and blue team in Birmingham...

Pity Swansea city are not playing them, that would have made your week!

I think it's a good idea to try and get tickets to see some of these lesser teams from the lower leagues as they could be doing with the money.

Judging by these snippy comments, it appears that my initial suspicions concerning Jambo and Backwoods were accurate. ;) Although Jeff is right that it would have been nice to have seen Swansea!!

It was a decent 4-2 win for Spurs after throwing two early goals in within the first seven minutes. I am still not sure how Roberto Soldado missed an empty net from 2 inches out. My grandfather was a Spurs supporter, so he would have been pleased that I went along to boost the numbers. Both Upton Park and White Hart Lane will no longer be used as football grounds in the next couple of years, so it was nice to be able to visit them before they close.

A lot of the atmosphere is lost in new stadiums as well as the character grounds once possessed. Years ago if you saw a photograph from a game you knew where the game was being played with the shape of the goal nets or a distinctive part of the stand or covered terracing. Now stadiums seem to have the same basic shape whilst goal nets are nearly standardised. And don't get me started on names! Gone are the names of the locality or the road they were built on. Now it's the sponsor's name such as the Emirates instead of Highbury or the JJB Stadium instead of whatever. It's even worse when they just call the ground after the team such as Celtic Park instead of Parkhead.

Yes, what was ever wrong with the name Parkhead? The new stadia have a lot going for them in many respects, but the character of many of the old grounds is sorely missed.

One more thing, I saw Teddy Sheringham on the way into Upton Park!

Now watching the Rangers/Hearts game. Its almost impossible to see the ball against the white pitch. The Hearts end is full whilst a lot of angry Rangers fans have been protesting outside and as part of the protest have gone home rather than go into the game. Hearts and Rangers officials have been talking to the 4th official and I would doubt whether the game will finish due to the conditions.

That's the match abandoned after 23 minutes. I thought Rangers had an electric blanket that was meant to stop snowy pitches, although probably they can't afford to switch it on. In those 23 minutes Hearts were dominant and cracked a 30 yarder of the crossbar. I think the ref must have abandoned the game in order to protect Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back