Wesley calls Calvinism a Plague

Discussion in 'Calvinism & The Doctrines of Grace' started by JM, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

John Wesley
    "Answer all [the Calvinists'] objections, as occasion offers, both in public and private. But take care to do this with all possible sweetness both of look and of accent...Make it a matter of constant and earnest prayer, that God would stop the plague."​
    Paul Washer: Calvinist, Arminian, or Confused? Arminian Perspectives

2. LadyCalvinist

LadyCalvinist Puritan Board Junior

:eek:

3. CDM

CDM Puritan Board Junior

Yeah, the gospel [or a nickname for it--calvinism] is a plague to Wesleyan man-made man-glorifying religion.

4. ManleyBeasley

ManleyBeasley Puritan Board Junior

I read the blog about Paul Washer. The writers say he is a Calvinist who preaches like an Arminian. Apparently they don't know much about how Calvinists or Arminians preach. He preaches like a Calvinist through and through.

5. the particular baptist

the particular baptist Puritan Board Freshman

That blogger was pretty ignorant of brother Washer. I would have written a response but from his comments disclosure it would have been trashed anyway.

6. Theognome

Theognome Burrito Bill

There is a sense in which I can agree with him. God often uses plagues to judge and purify his people (Like the one in Joel), plus they are often spoken of as His army. So if Calvinism is a plague- an army of God marching judgment upon the unfaithful, I'm there!

Theognome

7. Wannabee

Wannabee Obi Wan Kenobi

I like how Washer described himself - "A five point Spurgeonist." He preaches like one.

8. Rangerus

Rangerus Puritan Board Junior

I REALLY like that! "A Five Point Spurgeonist." That is better than how I had been describing myself as "A Reformed Evangelist.":eureka:

9. William Price

William Price Puritan Board Freshman

brother. Washer is one of the vast reasons I came into Calvinism. He was also the tool of the Lord to help bring me out from the Oneness. He is a man of God, and one I respect in doctrine and practice.

10. nicnap

nicnap Puritan Board Post-Graduate

:ditto:

11. William Price

William Price Puritan Board Freshman

Amen! The Gospel is a scandal to those whom are outside, believe in decisional or baptismal regeneration, or works of man for salvation. They want Jesus as Savior, but on their terms, not His. In other words, it is the Lordless Salvation, which is an abomination unto the Lord.

:pilgrim:

12. Whitefield

Whitefield Puritan Board Junior

On a side note, this is one of my pet peeves (this is not against you JM, but against the posting on the original link): quotes with no reference, especially when there is an ellipsis in the quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.