Were those crucified in the 1st Cent. naked?

Discussion in 'The Gospels & Acts' started by Romans922, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romans922

Romans922 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

When people were crucified in the first century, were they stripped of all their clothes (naked)?

I'm preaching on Gn. 3:7-13 and have seen a few commentators make this reference to Jesus at His crucifixion.

I am looking for some reliable sources.

2. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Edersheim thought not - at least not in Judea.

3. Peairtach

Peairtach Puritan Board Doctor

Even if Christ had a loin cloth, as usually depicted, it is still true that He was deprived of most of His clothes.

The spiritual lessons, particularly about atonement/covering are rather obviously on the surface of Scripture and intended by the Holy Spirit to be mined by teachers of God's Word.

4. Phil D.

Phil D. Puritan Board Sophomore

There is little question that the standard procedure under Roman rule in the 1st century was to crucify persons completely nude. The Roman historian Siculus (1 century BC) gave a graphic account that describes this aspect of the overall crucifixion process (Histories, 33.15). Seneca, who lived during the 1st century, described some unspeakably horrific things that some executioners did to their victims that could only occur by exploiting one's nakedness (Dialogue, 6).

The Mishnah indicates that opinions among Jewish authorities were divided as to whether or not people should be stoned and "hung" naked (which often went together), or with just enough of a covering to provide a minimal amount of modesty (Sanhedrin, 6.4, 5).

It does occur to me that Jesus was of course turned over by the Jewish courts to be executed by the Romans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.