We Ought To Sing The Psalms - Thread 2: Because They Cover Every Season and Experience Of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

My thanks to those who participated in my previous psalm thread; there were so many glorious truths laid down in a relatively short amount of time and space.

Another thing I would like your input on is a) how the psalter covers such a wide array of human experience, and b) why this makes it particularly suited for worship.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
NB I am new to the use of the psalter in worship. I have worshipped in reformed churches for several decades, but none of them sang from a psalter. I only ‘discovered’ it about 5 years ago.
NBB Appolgies to you ladies reading this, the pronouns are from my perspective and are not meant to be exclusionary.

A) The Psalms cover nearly every aspect of life, using poetry, prose, even condemnations. King David and the other human writers were not shy about engaging with the Almighty in their specific life events, both as it was happening, and in reflection. Unlike so much of the non-inspired texts that deal with life, the Psalms are believers interactions with their creator, Lord, and King. So when reading or singing the Psalms I am engaging with God on the same issues as those men - (without the crown)
B) It is humbling to realize the nothing really has changed. Men of God have been contending with their own sin as well as that of others for a long time. And that gives me comfort - their God was on the throne then when they sang out to him, and he still is there to hear me sing. That continuity between God’s people of old and us is just a foretaste of the worship we will all partipate in together in eternity. I sometimes read the psalms in Hebrew to practice, just in case that’s what the heavenly Psalter is written in (I do hope it’s a book and not PowerPoint projections:)

Not sure if I answered your questions, but this is what I am experiencing in my morning devotional reading & singing of the daily psalm.

Thank you, brother. That is definitely what I am looking for.

For myself, a lack of knowledge of the psalms has led me to not even realize what a wealth of topics are covered, and what a comprehensive source they can be for us in any circumstance.

David is open and honest with God in a way that I almost thought to be a sin when I did it.

“Have mercy, hear my prayer, thou hast enlarged me in distress.”
“My groaning ever wearies me through every night till morn appears.”
“Because of all my enemies this bitter grief consumes my eyes.”

And yet such hope, confidence, trust!

“I lay down, slept, and I awoke. The Lord is keeping me. I will not fear ten thousand men entrenched surrounding me.”

And other things we wouldn’t think to pray, but God countenances.

“Arise O Lord, save me my God! You punish all my foes. You smite the face of wicked men, their teeth break with your blows.”

Those from just two of the first four Psalms.

It must be kept in mind of course that these are the words of Christ, David praying them under inspiration, and they are the prayers of his church through our union with Christ. As for the imprecatory prayers, God not only countenances them but requires them. They flesh out what it means to say, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. W. Robert Godfrey has a series at Ligonier on the Psalms. It is really good and you may be able to listen for free. If not, the series is totally worth purchasing!

“Whatever doctrine the Scripture reading and sermon teach on any given day, the selected Psalms may teach also, while adding to the worship of the church the rainbow of truth contained in God’s word. Thus in singing the Psalms, the church ministers to the needs of everyone present: the penitent, the lonely, the ignorant, the joyful, and the downtrodden. Uninspired hymns lack that quality. They usually follow a single theme, perhaps truly, but they do not resonate with the whole of Scripture truth. A Psalm can at the same time describe our personal experience, the life of Christ, and all the experience of the whole Church.”

RPCNA Synod’s Study Committee on Worship. “The Psalms in the Worship of the Church.”

how the psalms cover every experience, season, emotion, &c. of the soul.

In praise of Psalm 71

What a beautiful Psalm this is to me. I was young, and now I'm old, and he's been a friend to me. This Song has become one of my favorites. The whole Psalm I mean. I am just quoting the heart of it that speaks to the entire life, young and old. And for me the best verse of all is verse 14, which I love in the KJV.

Ps 71:14 "But I will hope continually,
and will yet praise thee more and more."

=========================

From Psalm 71 (1650 Psalter)

12 Be thou not far from me, my God:
thy speedy help I crave.

13 Confound, consume them, that unto
my soul are enemies:
Cloth'd be they with reproach and shame
that do my hurt devise.

14 But I with expectation
will hope continually;
And yet with praises more and more
I will thee magnify.

15 Thy justice and salvation
my mouth abroad shall show,
Ev'n all the day; for I thereof
the numbers do not know.

16 And I will constantly go on
in strength of God the Lord;
And thine own righteousness, ev'n thine
alone, I will record.

17 For even from my youth, O God,
by thee I have been taught;
And hitherto I have declar'd
the wonders thou hast wrought.

18 And now, Lord, leave me not, when I
old and gray-headed grow:
Till to this age thy strength and pow'r
to all to come I show.

19 And thy most perfect righteousness
O Lord, is very high,
Who hast so great things done: O God,
who is like unto thee?

20 Thou, Lord, who great adversities,
and sore, to me didst show,
Shalt quicken, and bring me again
from depths of earth below.​

The psalms are unique in their content, for therein is the very mind and experiences of Christ revealed and exposed. They, even more than the Gospels unveil His innermost thoughts and experiences. Because He is very flesh of very flesh, then He mirrors what we will, and do undergo. But in all our afflictions He is afflicted, and so is the sympathetic High Priest who can succour all who come to Him. We read of all the emotions that are common to man, and He partook of the same. Read of, suffering, endurance, sympathy, affections, pathos, misery, passion, earnestness, devotion, joy, praise, aspirations, righteous anger, faithfulness, opposition and so on. The list of moods and physical distress high or low are too numerous to itemise, but give to us an example in Him to support and teach us in our pilgrimage through this valley of Bacca. By singing them the congregation and family are helped and sustained in their various and variegated circumstance in life.
The other notable content is the different offices and titles that are attributed to Him, which informs us of His multifaceted person and ability to convey the help of each one to us.

Psalm 119 (all of it) teaches me both to love the Law of God and the benefits of meditating on it throughout the day. Note the three classes of people that meditating on the Law will make me wiser than.

97 O how love I thy law! it is
my study all the day:

98 It makes me wiser than my foes;
for it doth with me stay.

99 Than all my teachers now I have
more understanding far;
Because my meditation
thy testimonies are.

100 In understanding I excel
those that are ancients;
For I endeavoured to keep
all thy commandements.​

The psalms are unique in their content, for therein is the very mind and experiences of Christ revealed and exposed. They, even more than the Gospels unveil His innermost thoughts and experiences. Because He is very flesh of very flesh, then He mirrors what we will, and do undergo. But in all our afflictions He is afflicted, and so is the sympathetic High Priest who can succour all who come to Him. We read of all the emotions that are common to man, and He partook of the same. Read of, suffering, endurance, sympathy, affections, pathos, misery, passion, earnestness, devotion, joy, praise, aspirations, righteous anger, faithfulness, opposition and so on. The list of moods and physical distress high or low are too numerous to itemise, but give to us an example in Him to support and teach us in our pilgrimage through this valley of Bacca. By singing them the congregation and family are helped and sustained in their various and variegated circumstance in life.
The other notable content is the different offices and titles that are attributed to Him, which informs us of His multifaceted person and ability to convey the help of each one to us.
Excellent post, thank you. I have never thought of how the psalms show us arguably much more of the inner life of Christ than do the Gospel accounts. Wow.

Psalm 119 (all of it) teaches me both to love the Law of God and the benefits of meditating on it throughout the day. Note the three classes of people that meditating on the Law will make me wiser than.

my study all the day:

more understanding far;
Because my meditation
thy testimonies are.

those that are ancients;
all thy commandements.​
Another post to be thankful for.

The psalms really are a gold mine of truth; every line teaching us something new. Praise God.

my study all the day:

more understanding far;
Because my meditation
thy testimonies are.

those that are ancients;
all thy commandements.​

I only imagine the profound effect of not only having the psalm in memory, but the retentive and applicatory power brought alive through poetry and song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back