WCF at APM

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
I noticed that there is some confusion concerning the text of the Westminster Confession used at A Puritans Mind. Here it says:

The Standards and Confession of Faith of
the Westminster Assembly of Divines

The original text of 1646, from the manuscript of Cornelius Burges, Assessor to the Westminster Assembly, with the Assembly's proof texts, as published in the modern critical edition of 1937 by S. W. Carruthers.

But in looking closely at APM's WCF 23.3 it appears that the text provided is the 1788 American revision.

APM version of WCF 23.3:

3. Civil magistrates may not assume to themselves the administration of the Word and Sacraments; or the power of the keys of the kingdom of heaven;a or, in the least, interfere in matters of faith. Yet, as nursing fathers, it is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the Church of our common Lord, without giving the preference to any denomination of Christians above the rest, in such a manner that all ecclesiastical persons whatever shall enjoy the full, free, and unquestioned liberty of discharging every part of their sacred functions, without violence or danger. And, as Jesus Christ hath appointed a regular government and discipline in his Church, no law of any commonwealth should interfere with, let, or hinder, the due exercise thereof, among the voluntary members of any denomination of Christians, according to their own profession of belief.b It is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the person and good name of all their people, in such an effectual manner as that no person be suffered, either upon pretense of religion or infidelity, to offer any indignity, violence, abuse, or injury to any other person whatsoever: and to take order, that all religious and ecclesiastical assemblies be held without molestation or disturbance.c

a. 2 Chron 26:18 with Mat 18:17 and Mat 16:19; Rom 10:15; 1 Cor 4:1-2; 12:28-29; Eph 4:11-12; Heb 5:4. • b. Deut 13:5-6, 12; Lev 24:16; 2 Kings 18:4; 23:1-26; 1 Chron 13:1-9; 2 Chron 15:12-13; 34:33; Ezra 7:23-28; Psa 122:9; Isa 49:23. • c. 2 Chron 19:8-11; 2 Chron 29-30 throughout; Mat 2:4-5.

Actual 1646 WCF 23.3:

III. The civil magistrate may not assume to himself the administration of the Word and sacraments, or the power of the keys of the kingdom of heaven: (e) yet he hath authority, and it is his duty, to take order, that unity and peace be. preserved in the Church, that the truth of God be kept pure and entire; that all blasphemies and heresies be suppressed; all corruptions and abuses in worship and discipline prevented or reformed; and all the ordinances of God duly settled, administrated, and observed.(f) For the better effecting whereof, he hath power to call synods, to be present at them, and to provide that whatsoever is transacted in them be according to the mind of God.(g)

(e) II Chron. 26:18 with Matt. 18:17 and Matt. 16:19; I Cor. 12:28, 29; Eph. 4:11, 12; I Cor. 4:1, 2; Rom. 10:15; Heb. 5:4.
(f) Isa. 49:23; Ps. 122:9; Ezra 7:23, 25, 26, 27, 28; Lev. 24:16; Deut. 13:5, 6, 12; I Kings 18:4; I Chron. 13:1 to 9; II Kings 23:1 to 26; II Chron. 34:33; II Chron. 15:12, 13.
(g) II Chron. 19:8, 9, 10, 11; II Chron. 29 and 30; Matt. 2:4, 5.

Actual 1788 American revision to WCF 23.3 w/prooftexts:

Civil magistrates may not assume to themselves the administration of the Word and sacraments [1]; or the power of the keys of the kingdom of heaven [2]; or, in the least, interfere in matters of faith [3]. Yet, as nursing fathers, it is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the church of our common Lord, without giving the preference to any denomination of Christians above the rest in such a manner, that all ecclesiastical persons whatever shall enjoy the full, free, and unquestioned liberty of discharging, every part of their sacred functions, without violence or danger [4]. And, as Jesus Christ hath appointed a regular government and discipline in his church, no law of any commonwealth, should interfere with, let, or hinder, the due exercise thereof, among the voluntary members of any denomination of Christians, according to their own profession and belief [5]. It is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the person and good name of all their people, in such an effectual manner as that no person be suffered, either upon pretence of religion or of infidelity, to offer any indignity, violence, abuse, or injury to any other person whatsoever: and to take order, that all religious and ecclesiastical assemblies be held without molestation or disturbance [6].

[1] 2 Chron. 26:18 And they withstood Uzziah the king, and said unto him, It appertaineth not unto thee, Uzziah, to burn incense unto the Lord, but to the priests, the sons of Aaron, that are consecrated to burn incense; go out of the sanctuary, for thou hast trespassed: neither shall it be for thine honor from the Lord God.

[2] Matt. 16:18, 19. At large. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven. 1 Cor. 4:1, 2. Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. --- Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

[3] John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: Mal. 2:7 For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth; for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts. Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

[4] Isa. 49:23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers and their queens thy nursing mothers.

[5] Ps. 105:15 Touch not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm. Acts 18:14, 15. At large. [And when Paul was now about to open his mouth, Gallio said unto the Jews, If it were a matter of wrong or wicked lewdness, O ye Jews, reason would that I should bear with you: But if it be a question of words and names, and of your law, look ye to it; for I will be no judge of such matters. And he drave them from the judgment seat.]

[6] 2 Sam. 23:3. 1 Tim. 2:1 and 2. At large. [I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men.] Rom. 13:4. At large. [For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.]

For further comparison, the current OPC/PCA/RPCGA version of WCF 23.3:

3. Civil magistrates may not assume to themselves the administration of the Word and sacraments; or the power of the keys of the kingdom of heaven;[e] or, in the least, interfere in matters of faith.[f] Yet, as nursing fathers, it is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the church of our common Lord, without giving the preference to any denomination of Christians above the rest, in such a manner that all ecclesiastical persons whatever shall enjoy the full, free, and unquestioned liberty of discharging every part of their sacred functions, without violence or danger.[g] And, as Jesus Christ hath appointed a regular government and discipline in his church, no law of any commonwealth should interfere with, let, or hinder, the due exercise thereof, among the voluntary members of any denomination of Christians, according to their own profession and belief.[h] It is the duty of civil magistrates to protect the person and good name of all their people, in such an effectual manner as that no person be suffered, either upon pretence of religion or of infidelity, to offer any indignity, violence, abuse, or injury to any other person whatsoever: and to take order, that all religious and ecclesiastical assemblies be held without molestation or disturbance.

[e]. II Chron. 26:18; Matt. 18:17; Matt. 16:19; I Cor. 12:28-29; Eph. 4:11-12; I Cor. 4:1, 12; Rom. 10:15; Heb. 5:4
[f]. John 18:36; Acts 5:29; Eph. 4:11-12
[g]. Isa. 49:23; Rom. 13:1-6
[h]. Ps. 105:15
. Rom. 13:4; I Tim. 2:2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back