Was there an "Ice Age" and when did it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
When did the Ice Age end?

Did this lower level of water help migrations of people?

What are the evidences of pre-ice age civilizations? Are they as primitive as some would have us believe?

Article 10

I'm no expert, Pergs, but I suspect many of the Ice Age theories are often unbelievers' attempts to explain the effects of the flood they are loathe to acknowledge as fact.

When did the Ice Age end?

Did this lower level of water help migrations of people?

What are the evidences of pre-ice age civilizations? Are they as primitive as some would have us believe?

Article 10

Be careful. The author of the linked article talks about structures such as the one found at Yonaguni as man made, but fails to mention that the scientific concensus is that Yonaguni is not man-made but naturally occuring. Just because something looks man-made doesn't mean it is. Look at the "giant's causeway" in Ireland.

I'd also be careful about accepting literature like the Rig Veda as historical, as the author seems to do.

I'll throw out something about culture. When I lived on the other side of an island you're really familiar with my hosts would often say how Nobel Prize winner Daniel Carleton Gajdusek whom they knew was brilliant. I actually visited the Fore, where the Kuru story comes from. Any way, they say he had a theory that the cultures there were once much more advanced than they are now. I could go on and on, but it sure seems to me that was the case. A small example is a stone bowl I found on a hill top. The locals say that God made it, since they don't have the technology to make them anymore. Mine was plain, but there are lots of others that are decorated. There was a grain they used in decorating, Job's Tears, that was at least one of the things the ancients ground in those bowls, but modern's don't grind them.

Anyway, perhaps some food for thought.

I just read an article about when the oceans were much lower. Some have hypothesized that this aided the dispersion of peoples to all the earth. Also, another article spoke of ancient maps from a time when Greenland was ice free. Also, underwater megaliths from Japan to the mediterranean seeem to prove advanced civilizations during a time when the water level was much lower.

I am interested in any books about any of those subjects, if you've got links or recommendations (or warnings about the more quacky of the theories)...

I just read an article about when the oceans were much lower. Some have hypothesized that this aided the dispersion of peoples to all the earth. Also, another article spoke of ancient maps from a time when Greenland was ice free. Also, underwater megaliths from Japan to the mediterranean seeem to prove advanced civilizations during a time when the water level was much lower.

I am interested in any books about any of those subjects, if you've got links or recommendations (or warnings about the more quacky of the theories)...

As mentioned earlier, I think that most of those megaliths are either in relatively shallow water or are not man-made. In regards to the dispersion of people during low sea levels, that's correct. It's speculated that a "land bridge" between Asia and Alaska existed during the Ice Age, which allowed for the movement of the Native Americans into the continent, and it is thought that Britain and Europe may have been similarly connected at that time. What's up for debate, at least from a YEC perspective is the timing of those events. That Greenland was warmer and more hospitable at one time in the "very recent" past is also known. It was colonized by the Vikings from Iceland during that period and subsequent to that a cold period cut off contact with the colony. It wasn't ice free, or green, but it did allow for limited agriculture etc...

Eric: There was a "little ice age" in the 12 century (I forget the dates) that ruined the Viking colonies in Greenland.

Greenland Vikings

Some, however, claim that there was exploration even before that: NEW ANALYSIS HINTS ANCIENT EXPLORERS MAPPED ANTARCTIC - NYTimes.com

Yes, that's the colder period to which I was referring. The warmer period, during which the colony was established, was the "medieval warming period." It's thought that temperatures during the medieval warming period were roughly equivalent to today. So much for CO2-induced global warming being the sole cause of today's warmer temperatures. :)

The article sounds interesting and I'll take the time to read it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back