Was Synagogue Worship Prescribed in Scripture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After thumbing through John Price's work "Old Light on New Worship," I came across some references that would be worth reading: Girardeau's "Instrumental Music in Church Worship" available on line here: Instrumental Music in the Public Worship of the Church. Particularly chapter two where he proves the link between synagogue worship and NT worship.

Also, Hughes Oliphant Old, who is quite respected in this field, also agrees. See his work "Worship: Reformed According to Scripture"

Douglas Bannerman said, "The worship of the apostolic Church at home was just in substance the worship of the Hebrew synagogue or proseucha." [found in his work "The Scripture Doctrine of the Church," p. 361]

I also came across a quote from notable historian Philip Schaff where he says, "As the Christian Church rests historically on the Jewish Church, so Christian worship and the congregational organization rest on that of the synagogue, and cannot be well understood without it." [from "History of the Christian Church," p. 456, see also 461-5]

Samuel Miller gives an extended discussion showing that the Jewish Synagogue is the Biblical model for Christian ecclesiastical government and worship in Letter 2 of his Letters Concerning the Constitution and Order of the Christian Ministry, particularly beginning at p. 36, which is available online here.

Daniel, is this what you are saying?

Because Jesus participated in Synagogue worship all worship must follow the format of the Synagogue.

Or...

Because Jesus participated in Synagogue worship may follow the format of the Synagogue.

I go for the first option. The second option is definitely out, as that makes worship ordinances an optional extra. If God is sovereign only He can determine how He is to be worshipped. Otherwise the creature dictates to the Creator how He is to be worshipped.

NT worship must follow the synagogue - scripture reading, preaching, psalm-singing without musical accompaniment, prayer etc - in addition we have the NT ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Daniel, I agree the NT assembly was brought forth from what was done in the Synogogue, but not an exact replica. It was still part of the Old. Please read the articles I provided. They show a tremendous amount of evidence of the subject.

I agree its not an exact replica; hence I mentioned the administration of the NT sacraments.

1) You mean only elements of worship in the Synagogue that were actually prescribed by God in His Word, correct? If it was found that there were Synagogues who practiced 'altar calls' would that bind us to do the same?

2) Is there really a need for the Synagogue to even come up in discussions of the RPW since all of the elements you mentioned are prescribed in other places? In other words,, what does synagogue worship teach us about NT worship that the Bible doesn't teach in other places?

Or is this going to just turn into another EP/musical instruments debate? :worms:

1. Since Christ participated in the worship of the synagogue we know that its worship was divinely prescribed. If you could prove from Scripture that altar calls were used in the synagogue that would be legitimate, but since this has never been done, then we know that altar calls are not divinely prescribed.

2. Maybe, but it is usually people who are opposed to the RPW who bring this up.

1. But what about 'traditional' practices. If it could be proved from non Biblical sources that they were performing 'altar calls' at some Synagogues during Jesus' lifetime, would that bind us to also perform 'altar calls'?

2. I sense that you are armed and ready if such a battle ensues! :lol:

1. Non-Biblical sources are not an authoritative guide 2 Tim. 3:16.

2. :think:

I go for the first option. The second option is definitely out, as that makes worship ordinances an optional extra. If God is sovereign only He can determine how He is to be worshipped. Otherwise the creature dictates to the Creator how He is to be worshipped.

NT worship must follow the synagogue - scripture reading, preaching, psalm-singing without musical accompaniment, prayer etc - in addition we have the NT ordinances of baptism and the Lord's Supper.

Daniel, I agree the NT assembly was brought forth from what was done in the Synogogue, but not an exact replica. It was still part of the Old. Please read the articles I provided. They show a tremendous amount of evidence of the subject.

I agree its not an exact replica; hence I mentioned the administration of the NT sacraments.

Yet baptism and the Supper are not the only 2 changes Daniel.

If you can prove other changes from Scripture - and I do not deny that there are more - then that is fine by me.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I haven't had time to read through all of the sources, just the replies and Andrew's link.

But is the consensus that we don't have a description of the origins of synagogue worship in Scripture itself? Also, it seems like what we know about synagogue worship mainly comes from non-scriptural Jewish writings and those of the early church fathers. Am I wrong in making this assumption?

1. Since Christ participated in the worship of the synagogue we know that its worship was divinely prescribed. If you could prove from Scripture that altar calls were used in the synagogue that would be legitimate, but since this has never been done, then we know that altar calls are not divinely prescribed.

2. Maybe, but it is usually people who are opposed to the RPW who bring this up.

1. But what about 'traditional' practices. If it could be proved from non Biblical sources that they were performing 'altar calls' at some Synagogues during Jesus' lifetime, would that bind us to also perform 'altar calls'?

So you would say that synagogue worship as it is prescribed in Scripture is binding on NT worship. But any Synagogue worship practices that were not prescribed in Scripture are not binding on NT worship.

Am I on the right track?

I am just amazed that the KJV uses the word synagogues. Praise the Lord for His infallible word! :applause:Ps 74:8 They said in their hearts, Let us destroy them together: they have burned up all the synagogues of God in the land.

Well, "synagogues" is the English translation. Knowing what the Hebrew word is there will tell you whether the translators were correct to use "synagogues" or not. The ESV, for example, uses the phrase "meeting places" in Psalm 74:8.

Also, Joey Pipa has written on this subject of synagogue worship as template for the New Testament church, somewhere.

I am just amazed that the KJV uses the word synagogues. Praise the Lord for His infallible word! :applause:Ps 74:8 They said in their hearts, Let us destroy them together: they have burned up all the synagogues of God in the land.

Well, "synagogues" is the English translation. Knowing what the Hebrew word is there will tell you whether the translators were correct to use "synagogues" or not. The ESV, for example, uses the phrase "meeting places" in Psalm 74:8.

Also, Joey Pipa has written on this subject of synagogue worship as template for the New Testament church, somewhere.

Sorry I had a little spell. :scratch: In the future I will try to keep my post’s on the PB to a minimum as there is a good core group of scholarly folk :graduate: which includes perhaps yourself.

Hope you have (had) a good Lord’s day

Sorry I had a little spell. :scratch: In the future I will try to keep my post’s on the PB to a minimum as there is a good core group of scholarly folk :graduate: which includes perhaps yourself.

Hope you have (had) a good Lord’s day.

I wouldn't call myself a scholar, and I would encourage you to keep posting on the PB. Posting is good; it keeps you away from all the TV reruns...

Hope you have (had) a good Lord’s day.

I wouldn't call myself a scholar, and I would encourage you to keep posting on the PB. Posting is good; it keeps you away from all the TV reruns...

:up:

Daniel -

I realize this is a hot topic, and I am asking simply because I am interested in how this discussion plays out.

I sense something somewhat contradictory in what you have said in this thread. You first say that because Christ worshipped in the synagogues, then all that was done in the synagogues must have had divine command.

Then you say that non-Biblical sources are not an authoritative guide.

So what guided the synagogue worshippers? I don't mean the initial ones,
who I assume you would say were guided by divinely-inspired prophets*
as you have already asserted must have laid down the commands for specific practices in the synagogue. No, I'm talking about the ones that led synagogue worship that Christ participated in. Where did they get their divine guidance?

Todd

* but those who never apparently bothered to write anything down recording their divine inspiration

Daniel -

I realize this is a hot topic, and I am asking simply because I am interested in how this discussion plays out.

I sense something somewhat contradictory in what you have said in this thread. You first say that because Christ worshipped in the synagogues, then all that was done in the synagogues must have had divine command.

as you have already asserted must have laid down the commands for specific practices in the synagogue. No, I'm talking about the ones that led synagogue worship that Christ participated in. Where did they get their divine guidance?

Todd

* but those who never apparently bothered to write anything down recording their divine inspiration

This is where I was going as well. How do we know what was going on in that Synagogue when Jesus participated?

If you can prove other changes from Scripture - and I do not deny that there are more - then that is fine by me.

Daniel, the irony of your statement brings a confused look to my face.( I am actually scrunching my forhead and eyes, kinda shaking side to side) You in one breath say even though we read nothing in scripture pertaining to what happened in the synogogue, Christ did it, so it must be divinely commanded. Then ask me to prove from scripture what is different?

Ken asked :This is where I was going as well. How do we know what was going on in that Synagogue when Jesus participated?

We must go to a Jew who knows...

Daniel -

Todd

Right, basically I have to ask "are you saying that Christ would have participated in worship that was not divinely commanded?" As it is clear from other portions of Scripture that worship must be divinely commanded in order to be acceptable, then the analogy of Scripture leads us to accept that Christ must not have participated in worship that was not divinely commanded. At the end of the day those who reject this logic have to assert that Christ violated the RPW, and that the RPW is wrong.

Surely you must acknowledge that there were many inspired prophecies that were not written down? While the command is not recorded in Scripture concerning all that went on in the synagogue, Christ's participation in the synagogue's worship is enough to show us it was divinely commanded, thus the principle of Sola Scriptura is not violated.

Daniel, the irony of your statement brings a confused look to my face.( I am actually scrunching my forhead and eyes, kinda shaking side to side) You in one breath say even though we read nothing in scripture pertaining to what happened in the synogogue, Christ did it, so it must be divinely commanded. Then ask me to prove from scripture what is different?

Ken asked :This is where I was going as well. How do we know what was going on in that Synagogue when Jesus participated?

We must go to a Jew who knows...

From Scripture we do know what went on in the synagogue i.e. reading the word, preaching etc.

Daniel -

Todd

This is where I was going as well. How do we know what was going on in that Synagogue when Jesus participated?

Read the gospel accounts.

If this is all the argument boils down to then I don't understand why the synagogue is relevant to the RPW. What you are saying is that Synagogues followed the RPW (as it is prescribed in the Bible) to the letter. And our worship must follow the RPW as well as it is prescribed in the Bible.

Lets get down to the nitty-gritty. What does Synagogue worship teach us about the RPW that the Bible doesn't already?

I've been wondering about this and didn't know how to find the answer. I've often heard that the New Testament sabbath service is based on synagogue worship. Obviously the temple worship is described in great detail in the OT, but what about synagogues? If our present day worship is to be structured by scripture, how did scripture structure OT synagogue worship? This isn't strictly a criticism of RPW, I'm actually more interested in why the NT church, specifically Reformed, worships the way it does. So my initial questions are:

1. Where and when was the pattern for synagogue worship developed? Am I right that this developed during the exile?

2. Are there any scriptures that speak to this? Specifically, what was expected of the Israelites as far as worship on the Sabbath?

I searched my Nave's topical Bible for Synagogue and Church, and didn't come up with any specific texts dealing with synagogue worship. Anyone have any insight into this?

edit: I'm not so sure about my third question...

AS I look to where this thread has gone, i am not sure this original question has been answered for Brad. Instead it has turned into an RPW conversation. I sense that Brad was not even trying to bring the RPW into the conversation, yet Daniel has. So where do we go from here?:think:

The synogogue post exile, has to be the focus. This is when the Hebrews honestly becaome more monolithic in worshipping the one true God. Prior to this, their 'worship' was plagued by much troubles. I do nto know if anything different took place in the synogogue from walkign with Christ and listening to his teachings on some hillside.

If this is all the argument boils down to then I don't understand why the synagogue is relevant to the RPW. What you are saying is that Synagogues followed the RPW (as it is prescribed in the Bible) to the letter. And our worship must follow the RPW as well as it is prescribed in the Bible.

Its because anti-RPW people bring it up; your second sentence is basically a summary of my position.

Its because anti-RPW people bring it up; your second sentence is basically a summary of my position.

Maybe they bring it up becasue it is a good question Daniel. And your answer does not satisfy them.

A notation on Psalm 74:8 - the Hebrew idea behind the word "mow`ed" means that it was an appointed place or time of meeting, and oftentimes (over 250 times) was in reference to a sacred time of meeting (including some of the appointed feats, and sabbath times). Its is used of the community of God's people gathering themselves as a "sacred congregation" over 150 times through the OT, which is its basic usage.

The problem the Psalmist raises is that there was an encoruagement of destroying God's people, but that the assemblies they had together would also be destroyed and suppressed.​

In the NT, the derrivative of this word which is the Greek equivalent of the idea enhoused in the OT word, is used 23 times.​

Some examples:​

23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

KJV Matthew 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

KJV Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

KJV Matthew 10:17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

KJV Matthew 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

KJV Mark 1:39 And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils.

KJV Mark 12:39 And the chief seats in the synagogues, and the uppermost rooms at feasts:

KJV Mark 13:9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.

KJV Luke 4:15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all...44 And he preached in the synagogues of Galilee.

KJV Luke 11:43 Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets.

KJV Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:

KJV Luke 13:10 And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.

KJV Luke 20:46 Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts;

KJV Luke 21:12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

KJV John 16:2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.

KJV Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem...20 And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.

KJV Acts 13:5 And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

KJV Acts 15:21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

KJV Acts 24:12 And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any man, neither raising up the people, neither in the synagogues, nor in the city:

It is an actually interesting idea that the community of God's called out ones is the basis for "gathering" or "synagoging" together to pray, sing, hear the Scriptures read, and have them commented. I would contest that the sunagogue was a reflection of the temple, and not aside or instead of the temple, since all the elements of temple worship are CRITICAL to our worship today - i.e. a high priest, atonement, sacrifice, sacramentaology, etc. The Temple's destruction was not a removal of the temple, but a transferrence of the realities completed in Jesus Christ that still continue for God's elect people, if I might say - the "synagoging ones", or those who "synagogue together, as the Aposlte James states.

Maybe they bring it up becasue it is a good question Daniel. And your answer does not satisfy them.

Maybe; but their contention would mean that on the one had Christ condemned the Pharisees for observing human traditions in worship (Matt. 15), while on the other, He participate in man-made rights Himself. The argument fails to stand up to the analogy of Scripture. Furthermore, those who employ this argument (like Steve Schlissel) usually set up a straw-man version of the RPW (explicit commands only, when, in reality, the RPW allows for explicit commands, historical examples and valid logical deductions from Scripture), which they proceed to knock down by using this argument.

Maybe; but their contention would mean that on the one had Christ condemned the Pharisees for observing human traditions in worship (Matt. 15), while on the other, He participate in man-made rights Himself. The argument fails to stand up to the analogy of Scripture. Furthermore, those who employ this argument (like Steve Schlissel) usually set up a straw-man version of the RPW (explicit commands only, when, in reality, the RPW allows for explicit commands, historical examples and valid logical deductions from Scripture), which they proceed to knock down by using this argument.

WHo is saying anything about Christ participating in the "traditions of men"? I sure hope you do not believe that 'correct worship' follows some form of ritualistic rubric Daniel? We are not exactly sure of what went on in a synagogue other than specualting and giving an educated guess. We can glean from the writ what took place in prinicple, but post exile is the period we are concerned with in this thread. We cannot take Acts 2 as some legal binding pattern of what took place in exact order. The New Testament never defines worship in a precise pattern which is a replica of either temple or synagogue. In fact there is nothing recorded by our Lord in the Gospels where he speaks about what is to take place this one hour a week on sunday as being a replica of the synagogue

Last edited:

WHo is saying anything about Christ participating in the "traditions of men"?

The argument would be that if Christ could attend the synagogue, then we too can invent our own modes of worship.

The argument would be that if Christ could attend the synagogue, then we too can invent our own modes of worship.

I apologize Daniel, for I have no clue how to grasp this conclusion or find it anwhere in men's writings. Perhaps I am missing your point ont his whole synagogue pattern for the NT assembly. Are you equating since there is no pattern for synagogue worship as there is for the temple, then "these people' contend that synagogue worship was wrong? And synagogue was a tradition of men?

I apologize Daniel, for I have no clue how to grasp this conclusion or find it anwhere in men's writings. Perhaps I am missing your point ont his whole synagogue pattern for the NT assembly. Are you equating since there is no pattern for synagogue worship as there is for the temple, then "these people' contend that synagogue worship was wrong? And synagogue was a tradition of men?

No apology needed; the people who employ this argument would not say that synagogue worship was wrong, but that Christ's attendance at the synagogue shows us that divine warrant for worship practices is not needed and that strict regulation only applied to the worship of the temple.

No apology needed; the people who employ this argument would not say that synagogue worship was wrong, but that Christ's attendance at the synagogue shows us that divine warrant for worship practices is not needed and that strict regulation only applied to the worship of the temple.

OK, now I understand.. phewwwwwwwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back