Was Revelation written before 70 AD or after?

When was Revelation written?

• Before 70 AD

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • After 70 AD

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Other (although I don't see how there could be an 'other')

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least twenty years after, which throws cold water on the book being used to support the preterist view.

For theological reasons I say before. Why? Because the writings of the New Covenant had to be completed before the Old Covenant worship was finally and publicly abolished in 70 AD signifying the end of the period of transition between the two testaments.

Does this prove a preterist interpretation of Revelation is correct? Not necessarily.

However, you may find it useful to consult Ken Gentry's Before Jerusalem Fell.

At least twenty years after, which throws cold water on the book being used to support the preterist view.

The coals are still burning. If the preterist wanted to modify his view to the near future he could still do it regardless of the dating of revelation. There are time-referents in the book that still support the preterist view. I am not preterist, but I have to be honest on that one.

The coals are still burning. If the preterist wanted to modify his view to the near future he could still do it regardless of the dating of revelation. There are time-referents in the book that still support the preterist view. I am not preterist, but I have to be honest on that one.

Jacob, and this is precisely why I have such a problem with preterism. It's such a moving target.

Other: it was written and published serially from summer 68 to spring 71.

Just kidding. It was written well after 70 AD.

He is an amillennialist who spear-headed the "nouthetic counseling" movement. Overall, he is quite good. Has done some excellent work on the Christian family. Essentially argues that we should look to the Bible, and not to Dr Phil, for dealing with crises.

He doesn't do a lot on biblical studies. He did one on charismatic gifts and another on baptism and another on prophecy.

How so? Preterists can interpret it as being about Jerusalem, Rome or both. I think it was written late, and is written to churches in Rome who were persectued by Rome, and it speaks of Rome being destroyed. And I consider myself a preterist which means I think those things already happened. (And the book speaks of some things after Rome as well.)

Are you saying an early date for Revelation is not necessary for the preterist view?

Agree with ^ Before

Better scholarship and the text seems to support a before date, In my humble opinion.

Are you saying an early date for Revelation is not necessary for the preterist view?

Hmm...technically, yes. Let's say all the prophecies were fulfilled (excepting Resurrection and other stuff) in 96 AD, or 150 AD. That is still preterism (of course, they would have to make some unusual defenses, but conceptually it is possible).

FYI, "Before Jerusalem Fell" by Ken Gentry is available as a PDF for free at the following link:

Before Jerusalem Fell

I read Gentry's book in Nov. 2001 ... It was and is by far the best exegetical and historical argument for a pre-AD70 composition of the book of Revelation that I have come across so far.

Anyone that has a question about the date of Revelation will find this book hard to refute. It is a work that (In my humble opinion) should be considered well worth reading by all before making a decision on where they stand concerning the date wether your presuppositions are pre or post 70.

I give this book ... :up::up:

Tradition points towards the later date. As long as dating isn't used to manipulate the interpretation of the book I don't see any difficulty in tentatively accepting traditional information.

He is an amillennialist who spear-headed the "nouthetic counseling" movement. Overall, he is quite good. Has done some excellent work on the Christian family. Essentially argues that we should look to the Bible, and not to Dr Phil, for dealing with crises.

He doesn't do a lot on biblical studies. He did one on charismatic gifts and another on baptism and another on prophecy.

Jay Adams has done much more than many people realize, but people generally tend to just associate him with counseling. This is because he has primarily focused on that and also probably due to the controversy generated by his opposition to the integrated approach with humanism. He used to teach homiletics among other things at WTS and has written on preaching as well as pastoral theology, which naturally intersects with Biblical Counseling. Here is a list of works by Dr. Adams.

My understanding is that The Time is at Hand was a seminal text for orthodox preterism when the first edition of it was published in the 1960's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back