Was Revelation written before 70 AD or after?

Discussion in 'Revelation & Eschatology' started by KMK, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Before 70 AD

39 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. After 70 AD

27 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Other (although I don't see how there could be an 'other')

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMK

KMK Moderator Staff Member

Was Revelation written before 70 AD or after?

2. wsw201

wsw201 Puritan Board Senior

After!

3. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

At least twenty years after, which throws cold water on the book being used to support the preterist view.

4. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

For theological reasons I say before. Why? Because the writings of the New Covenant had to be completed before the Old Covenant worship was finally and publicly abolished in 70 AD signifying the end of the period of transition between the two testaments.

Does this prove a preterist interpretation of Revelation is correct? Not necessarily.

However, you may find it useful to consult Ken Gentry's Before Jerusalem Fell.

5. ReformedReidian

ReformedReidian Puritan Board Doctor

The coals are still burning. If the preterist wanted to modify his view to the near future he could still do it regardless of the dating of revelation. There are time-referents in the book that still support the preterist view. I am not preterist, but I have to be honest on that one.

6. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Jacob, and this is precisely why I have such a problem with preterism. It's such a moving target.

7. jawyman

jawyman Puritan Board Junior

I say after.

8. ANT

ANT Puritan Board Junior

Internal and external evidences point to a pre AD 70 date.

9. Bygracealone

Bygracealone Puritan Board Sophomore

Just curious, has Adams' work "The Time is at Hand" ever been refuted by anybody notable?

10. SRoper

SRoper Puritan Board Senior

Other: it was written and published serially from summer 68 to spring 71.

Just kidding. It was written well after 70 AD.

11. Quickened

Quickened Puritan Board Senior

would other classify as "during 70" since the other two options are before and after? :lol:

12. Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace Puritan Board Junior

Who is Adam?

13. ReformedReidian

Jay Adams

14. Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace Puritan Board Junior

who is jay adams?

15. ReformedReidian

He is an amillennialist who spear-headed the "nouthetic counseling" movement. Overall, he is quite good. Has done some excellent work on the Christian family. Essentially argues that we should look to the Bible, and not to Dr Phil, for dealing with crises.

He doesn't do a lot on biblical studies. He did one on charismatic gifts and another on baptism and another on prophecy.

16. k.seymore

k.seymore Puritan Board Freshman

How so? Preterists can interpret it as being about Jerusalem, Rome or both. I think it was written late, and is written to churches in Rome who were persectued by Rome, and it speaks of Rome being destroyed. And I consider myself a preterist which means I think those things already happened. (And the book speaks of some things after Rome as well.)

17. KMK

KMK Moderator Staff Member

Are you saying an early date for Revelation is not necessary for the preterist view?

18. Bygracealone

I mentioned him because he wrote what some deem a classic work on the early dating of the Book of the Revelation entitled "The Time is at Hand."

It can be purchased here: Welcome to Timeless Christian Boooks

19. puritan lad

puritan lad Puritan Board Freshman

Before, while the temple was still standing (Rev. 11:1-8) and during the reign of Nero, the 6th Roman Emperor (Rev. 17:10)

See Dating the Book of Revelation

20. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

Agree with ^ Before

Better scholarship and the text seems to support a before date, IMHO.

21. Davidius

Davidius Puritan Board Post-Graduate

I chose "other" because I have no idea.

22. Bygracealone

FYI, "Before Jerusalem Fell" by Ken Gentry is available as a PDF for free at the following link:

Before Jerusalem Fell

23. ReformedReidian

Hmm...technically, yes. Let's say all the prophecies were fulfilled (excepting Resurrection and other stuff) in 96 AD, or 150 AD. That is still preterism (of course, they would have to make some unusual defenses, but conceptually it is possible).

24. jaybird0827

jaybird0827 PuritanBoard Honor Roll

:ditto:

... and I do not hold to any form of preterism.

25. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

The first man.

26. Presbyterian Deacon

Presbyterian Deacon Puritan Board Graduate

A.D. 96 C. I. Scofield said so!:lol:

Seriously though, I do favor the position that it was written after 70 A.D.

27. ANT

ANT Puritan Board Junior

I read Gentry's book in Nov. 2001 ... It was and is by far the best exegetical and historical argument for a pre-AD70 composition of the book of Revelation that I have come across so far.

Anyone that has a question about the date of Revelation will find this book hard to refute. It is a work that (IMHO) should be considered well worth reading by all before making a decision on where they stand concerning the date wether your presuppositions are pre or post 70.

I give this book ... :up::up:

28. MW

MW Puritan Board Doctor

Tradition points towards the later date. As long as dating isn't used to manipulate the interpretation of the book I don't see any difficulty in tentatively accepting traditional information.

29. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

Jay Adams has done much more than many people realize, but people generally tend to just associate him with counseling. This is because he has primarily focused on that and also probably due to the controversy generated by his opposition to the integrated approach with humanism. He used to teach homiletics among other things at WTS and has written on preaching as well as pastoral theology, which naturally intersects with Biblical Counseling. Here is a list of works by Dr. Adams.

My understanding is that The Time is at Hand was a seminal text for orthodox preterism when the first edition of it was published in the 1960's.

30. shackleton

shackleton Puritan Board Junior

Yes, it had to be. Unless it was written between the years, 69 or 71. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.