was Paul taught from Jesus in Arabia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycanuck

Puritan Board Freshman
I have read over many posts here that dealt with Apostles and from biblical texts it seems to state that a sign of an Apostle was that they were called and sent by Christ, and saw the Risen Christ. In regards to Paul, I know he had met Jesus on the road to Damascus, but was he taught by Christ. In Galatians 1:17,18 it reads that he went to Arabia for three years. Does this correlate with 2 Corinthians 12:1-6?

That's something I've pondered as well, but there simply isn't enough information to be sure about it. I've also wondered about the possibility that if such was the case might it have taken place at Mt. Sinai (Gal. 1:17 cf . Gal. 4:25)?

I have read over many posts here that dealt with Apostles and from biblical texts it seems to state that a sign of an Apostle was that they were called and sent by Christ, and saw the Risen Christ. In regards to Paul, I know he had met Jesus on the road to Damascus, but was he taught by Christ. In Galatians 1:17,18 it reads that he went to Arabia for three years. Does this correlate with 2 Corinthians 12:1-6?
I subscribe to this theory.

Martin Hengel has something on it Justification and Variegated Nomism vol. 2. I will take a look at it and get back to you.

It's a popular theory that has much merit and many advocates. I think we should stop short of saying Paul's instruction happened that way for sure, but it makes a lot of sense. Remember that in Acts, Paul met Jesus not only on the Damascus road but also in prison in Acts 23:11. This adds to the evidence that there was ongoing, direct Jesus-to-Paul discipleship. Naturally, our minds ask: Was this an in-person discipleship and instruction (which leaves us with questions, as we thought Jesus' body was in heaven), or was it more like a series of visions? The fact that Paul seems to wonder the same thing in 2 Corinthians 12:2 makes me suspect we are on the right track. Some sort of extraordinary instruction, directly from Jesus, probably took place. That some of it, at least, was during the time in Arabia is a reasonable guess.

One of the criteria of being an Apostle was to have seen the Risen Christ. I suppose the encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus would fall under this. Plus, as Saul the persecutor of the early church, he must have actually encountered Jesus during His ministry. I have discussed with a person who believes in the continuation of the office of Apostle that only those who have seen the Risen Christ can truly be an Apostle. I have argued that the chief duty of the Apostles were to not only lay the foundation of the early church but most importantly, write the scriptures. Now that the canon of scriptures is complete-the office of Apostle is no longer necessary. My adversary uses Ephesians 4:11 as his proof.

I went through Hengel and he basically asserts that Paul likely taught in Arabia (probably the Nabeteans), the offspring of Esau as a stepping stone to Gentiles, much like Philip going to the Samaritans. It is a lot of speculation but, it is interesting though I am not sure I agree.
His discussion on how Paul knew so much merely from the Damascus encounter is illuminating, however.

In Galatians 1:11-12 Paul says ...
11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Could this indicate that Paul received more personal instruction than that on the road to Damascus, and in the aforementioned occurrence in Acts ? Seems to me it does, but I'm a simple laymen. Stress being on simple. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back