Walk tenderly under God’s special mercy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Throne of Grace), Works 1:136-137:

Walk tenderly under God’s special mercy. The more special the mercy be, the more carefully it should be improved. God’s saving mercy is a load, a burden; not indeed hard to be borne, but it is hard to bear it aright; a burden that will not break the back, but will weigh heavy on the shoulders of the bearers; and such as are under it, are in no small danger of stumbling: Isa. 38:15, What shall I say? he hath both spoken unto me, and himself hath done it: I shall go softly all my years in the bitterness of my soul. And that there was special mercy in his eye, see verse 17, Thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption; for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back. Here is a right sense of mercy, and a good resolution about the guiding of it: “I will walk softly all the years (fifteen of them) that God hath added to my life.” But what performance was there? 2 Chron. 32:25, But Hezekiah rendered not again according to the benefit done unto him: for his heart was lifted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back