Virtues and vivification

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I was recently listening to Mortification of Spin and Carl Trueman mentioned that the Protests have focused more, if not solely, on the negative aspect of the Christian life, obeying the law, not sinning, mortification, etc. as opposed to the positive side cultivating virtue, etc. (My paraphrase wording of his). In my not very broad reading, I wouldn't know yet, I haven't seen a ton on vivification. The only one that comes to mind is Charity and it's Fruits.
What are your thoughts? Have the Reformed Protestants written more on virtues for instance, he is led to believe? Any good works?

Last edited:
Painting with a broad brush is dangerous, but he might be right. We don't talk about virtue that much anyway.

Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene deals with it. Book III deals with Chastity, yet not in a Galatianist or dualistic framework. Britomart pursues chastity by seeking marriage.

JP Moreland's The Lost Virtue of Happiness is another good start.

I'm not sure that I agree with that. Think about the way Paul handles that double-sidedness, say in Colossians. A proper engagement with the text will deal both with putting off the old man and with putting on the new. In the catechetical expositions of the 10 Commandments (Heidelberg & Westminster) attention is given to what is required as well as what is forbidden. There are many treatments of virtue, like the fruit of the Spirit, or individual qualities such as faith or humility or heavenly-mindedness, or particular acts of devotion like hearing sermons or engaging in prayer.

Any individual author, of course, may be called like Jeremiah to do a lot of preparatory clearing of the ground before much construction can be done. That may be as much attributable to the circumstances of their lives as to the nature of their personalities.

Last edited:
I was pointed in the direction of Aristotle at one point regarding practice, etc...thoughts? I'd rather read a Christian who knows if rather than a supposed one who does (according to the Medievals).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back