Very Technical Windows Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler

Puritan Board Graduate
#1. Is there a way to encrypt a LAN connection, like you can wireless connections? I have a point-to-point LAN connection between two laptops on my desk and I'm worried about someone "borrowing" the cable and getting on the Internet when they shouldn't.

#2. Is there a way to connect my second laptop to the first, so that it basically acts as a second monitor, over the network connection?

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

To clarify, the main laptop is connected to the internet via wifi. I have that connection shared with the LAN card, and have a LAN cable running from there to the LAN card of the secondary laptop. My concern is someone disconnecting the secondary laptop and hooking something else up.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Thinking about it, would it be possible to use a protocol other than TCP/IP with more stringent security measures? Is there such a thing?

I'm running Windows 7 on the primary laptop and Windows XP on the secondary laptop.

Lol. I guess they really were technical if nobody here had an answer. =)

I tried PPPoE, but I can't find a server that works on Windows 7 and I don't think I can share the wifi connection through that anyway.

And I still haven't come up with anything on the second monitor problem.

I'm not a big networking guy, but it sounds like you'd be better served with a home server. You can run windows home server, the OS is about $100 (Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Home Server System Builder with URP1: Software) and this would give you added benefits of accessing your files from the net if you'd like. Just a thought.

Also, not all laptop screens have the right hardware to use them as an external display for another computer. If it does you should be able to select it as an option in the monitor's options by clicking 'advanced' on the screen sizing screen. Poke around and you should see some option like "allow external use" or something similar. If you don't see that, you would probably need to take the laptop apart to use it as an external screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back