Verses ommited from the ESV

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Moderator

Do you think this thread might be more appropriate on the Translations and Manuscripts board? Thanks.

But on the subject of this doctrine, it is notorious that Eusebius shamefully prevaricated in the celebrated Council of Nice. He first positively excepted against it, and then subscribed to it, and at length addressed a letter to his Church at Caesarea, in which he explained away his former compliance, and retracted what he has asserted. On a person of such versatility of principle no dependence ought to be placed;

Isn't Eusebius also the one who originally brought doubt upon the authorship of the Gospel of John by attributing it to some presbyter named John in Ephesus?

Between three and four hundred prelates attended the Council, which met at Carthage; and Eugenius, as bishop of that see, drew up the Confession of the orthodox, in which the contested verse is expressly quoted. That a whole church should thus concur in quoting a verse which was not contained in the received text, is wholly inconceivable: and admitting that 1 John v.7 was generally thus received, its universal presence in that text is only to be accounted for by supposing it to have existed in it from the beginning.

Good point!

Great stuff, Mr. Rafalsky!

So, just out of interest is this a KJV-Only board that I've waded into? I didn't read the board rules that precisely and I don't want to upset any applecarts. I can still try to make a gracious exit stage right.
Not at all KJVO. This thread certainly has attracted the more "passionate", though. I believe God will teach us what he wants us to know regardless if we are reading the "AV" or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back