Veggie Tales creator regrets emphasizing morality over the gospel in his cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermadchen

Puritanboard <strong>Outlaw</strong>
It's not about the dream
ENTERTAINMENT | VeggieTales creator Phil Vischer turns to a jellyfish for new inspiration, new ventures, and a new way of doing business | Megan Basham

PHOTO BY STEPHEN VOSLOO

"Make no small plans," a 33-year-old Phil Vischer, creator of VeggieTales and founder of Big Idea Productions, advised a WORLD interviewer in 1998. At the time, the animated vegetables famed for their funny songs, witty banter, and Christian-themed stories were winning fans young and old all across the country. Sales of VeggieTales videos reached 7 million in a single year and company revenues hovered around $40 million. Big distributors came calling, as did Hollywood.

Through it all, Vischer told himself to make no small plans and pursue a "Big Hairy Audacious Goal," a phrase he'd borrowed from the bestselling motivational book, Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies. The goal he finally settled on—he would become the next Walt Disney.

But in the years that followed, Big Idea's fortunes changed drastically. The company brought in executives who began budgeting based on projected future revenues rather than the revenues they actually had. The new leadership instituted massive hiring, often for people the company didn't yet need. When expected sales increases failed to materialize, the company began borrowing heavily, using ownership of its popular characters as collateral. Then a break with their distributor led to a tangled, years-long lawsuit, and Vischer's last hope at saving Big Idea—an expensive, ambitious film called Jonah—didn't pan out.

In 2003 Big Idea went bankrupt and Vischer lost ownership of Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber, and the rest of the VeggieTales gang. What he gained, he says, was something far more valuable. I sat down with Vischer to ask him about the lessons of Big Idea's downfall and how he's applying them to his latest venture—Jellyfish Labs, whose video productions include a puppet-based children's series aimed at teaching kids Bible literacy that Vischer describes as "the Muppets go to seminary."

Let's start at the beginning: Before VeggieTales became an underground success, did you dream of Hollywood? I was always a shy kid. I grew up in Muscatine, Iowa, and I've always felt a bit on the outside looking in. Whether it was youth group or school, I was not outgoing, I was not on student council. So the feeling of being on the outside kind of naturally led me to think, "I can do this in my basement, I can do this on my own." I thought, "I don't want to move to L.A., that's scary. I don't want to go to New York—that's scary. I'm going to sit in my basement in Muscatine, Iowa, and see if I can make a movie."

And you did. Well, yeah. You know there are those like Steven Spielberg—very outgoing, very gregarious—[who] absolutely wanted to do it through the system. As soon as he was out of high school he was sneaking onto the Universal lot and pretending he worked there. On the flip side there's George Lucas—very introverted, hated the system. I'm much more of a George Lucas.

And these days you can work through the system and influence from the inside out or you can completely ignore it. One of the great advantages of technology today with the internet, Netflix, Vimeo, YouTube, and all those services is that you don't have to use a distributor to find an audience.

You found a huge audience, yet somewhere things went wrong. What happened? Left to my own devices, I will do everything in a garage with 10 bucks and whatever resources I can find. But suddenly we went from having no money to having more money than we knew what to do with. And I went off track. Rather than seeking God and asking Him, "How do you want me to move forward?" I did some spiritual math and said, "OK, how could I have more impact? By just making my films or by building the next Disney?"

And what do you need to build Disney? Well, you need executives. So I started hiring people from major studios, from big companies, and that's when the garage band was officially retired. [Laughing] Nobody else was excited about doing things with 10 bucks and a ball of baling twine. I got so frustrated one night that we seemed to be doing everything in a more expensive way than I thought we needed to that I said to my wife, "I'll show them, I'll just go start my own company!" And she looked at me like I was crazy and reminded me it was my company.

It sounds like idolatry, as though there were a spiritual good to pursuing something bigger. Absolutely. My great-grandfather was one of the first radio preachers in America. He went on the air in 1923 and preached every Sunday until he died in 1963, at which point his show was the longest-running radio show in America. He had more than 100,000 people listening every week.

Though I couldn't have pinpointed it at the time, it was enormously influential in my thinking of, "OK, sure this is great, but how do I make it bigger? How can I do more faster?" Unfortunately, the question I ignored was, "How did God wire me?" Because He didn't necessarily call me to see how big an organization I could build.

Today when I talk to people, I spend a lot of time trying to get them to consider what is driving them. Why do you want to do what you say you want to do? Do you have peace in your life? Because if you're stressed, if you're worried, if you're anxious, something ain't right. Those aren't the fruits of the Spirit. I wish someone had sat me down at some point and asked me those questions.

How are you applying your experience with Big Idea to your new venture, Jellyfish Labs? My new company is called Jellyfish Labs because jellyfish can't locomote. They can't choose their own course. They can't go from point A to point B. They can only stay in the current and trust the current to carry them where they need to be. Looking back on Big Idea, I was conceiving of myself as a big studly barracuda saying, "All right God, here's what I'm going to do for you. Now you just stand back and bless it and watch me go!"

After the bankruptcy I had kind of a forced sabbatical of three or four months of spending time with God and listening to Him. I looked back at the previous 10 years and realized I had spent 10 years trying to convince kids to behave Christianly without actually teaching them Christianity. And that was a pretty serious conviction. You can say, "Hey kids, be more forgiving because the Bible says so," or "Hey kids, be more kind because the Bible says so!" But that isn't Christianity, it's morality.

That realization led me to a quest to say, all right, I need a new vehicle for teaching where I can go in much, much deeper but still in a fun, lighthearted, witty way. For my new series, What's in the Bible, I wanted to create the equivalent of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It was this groundbreaking miniseries in the '80s that explained the entire world, the entire universe, to families. I want to do that with the Bible, not just for kids but for families. It's not a kids' show, it's a family show.

So I was acting like a big barracuda when in reality I'm a brainless, spineless bag of goo. And I only get my form when I stay in the current of God's will and allow Him to carry me where He wants me to be. And that was such a huge shift for me from the American Christian ideal. We're drinking a cocktail that's a mix of the Protestant work ethic, the American dream, and the gospel. And we've intertwined them so completely that we can't tell them apart anymore. Our gospel has become a gospel of following your dreams and being good so God will make all your dreams come true. It's the Oprah god. So I had to peel that apart. I realized I'm not supposed to be pursuing impact, I'm supposed to be pursuing God. And when I pursue God I will have exactly as much impact as He wants me to have.

Is there any place then for long-range ambitions and large goals, for "big ideas"? The goal at Jellyfish is to do no long-range planning, which is a little counter-cultural and counter-intuitive. But the way Paul and Barnabas did a ministry was to walk to a town, and if that town didn't want them they'd shake the dust off their sandals. They wouldn't sit there plotting for 10 years on how to take over the town, they'd just say, "OK, the Holy Spirit is taking us elsewhere." We have this American industrial thing where we want to build the McDonalds and Coca-Colas of evangelism and come up with formulas and systems that are guaranteed to work and it can be highly effective, but I don't know that it's highly Christian.

That sounds pretty radical in the current Christian business culture. I no longer use the word dream as a noun describing a goal. We misinterpret passages from the Bible like, "For lack of vision the people perish." From that we run off and go, "Oh, we've got to have vision, we've got to have dreams!" But it was Henry Blackaby who first pointed out to me that when we interpret that verse to apply to our ambitions, we're completely misinterpreting it. A better, contemporary translation is, "For lack of revelation the people throw off restraint."

We're not called to be a people of vision, we're called to be a people of revelation. God speaks and we follow. We've completely taken this Disney notion of "when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true" and melded that with faith and come up with something completely different. There's something wrong in a culture that preaches nothing is more sacred than your dream. I mean, we walk away from marriages to follow our dreams. We abandon children to follow our dreams. We hurt people in the name of our dreams, which as a Christian is just preposterous.

That doesn't mean I just sit here waiting for God to hand me a Post-it note with tomorrow's agenda. But I brainstorm, I have ideas, I put them on the wall, and I pray about them. Then one of those ideas will start to percolate a bit, start to bubble, and then I chase the bubble to see if that's where God is moving me. But if suddenly God seems to be moving me in a different direction, I let go of that idea, because it's just an idea. If I keep calling it my dream, I'm holding on to it too tightly until it becomes something I can't let go of. And the only thing I can't let go of is God. Everything else should be held with an open hand.

Listen to Megan Basham discuss Phil Vischer’s new venture, What’s in the Bible, on The World and Everything in It.

WORLDmag.com | Not about the dream | Megan Basham | Sep 24, 11

The emphasis on morality over teaching true biblical literacy and the gospel is why I've never liked veggie tales. I hope his new venture goes well and look forward to checking it out.

While I am glad for Mr. Vischer's change of heart, I hope he does not understand "pursuing God" in a moralistic sense, and thus is trading one form of moralism for another.

- VeggieTales began by reinterpreting Bible stories, changing both the content and themes, and using these mangled stories to present moral lessons and little more.

- Then it moved away from Bible stories and created other stories (not from the Bible) that were fun, clever and usually had a moral lesson.

- Lately, the most recent productions have been stories (not from the Bible) that present a gospel-ish theme or even a brief explanation of the work of Jesus rather than simple moral lessons—yet without pretending to be a full "gospel presentation."

In my opinion, each evolution has been an improvement. I soundly disliked VeggieTales at the start, but have been forced to view the franchise more charitably as time has gone on.

No, I certainly wouldn't consider it the main vehicle for teaching the gospel and biblical literacy to children. Yet, VT is marketed as "Christian" entertainment. Without an emphasis on the true Gospel, Veggie Tales is no more than fun moral stories. Its teaching results in children learning to act "Christianly" without actually being a Christian if parents aren't counteracting the influence with gospel teaching both at home and at church.

Amidst a flood of violence, sex immorality and immorality of every kind, it is refreshing to have some good morals presented. Why would anyone in mass media entertainment who rightly understands the gospel regret that?

I might add that in focusing on teaching moral lessons it also teaches an incorrect hermeneutic namely that the Bible's isn't God's story of redemption but that its principle purpose is to show us how to live. It skips from the first use of the law to the third use.

While our children may hear these passages correctly interpreted by us or at church we have to keep two things in mind.
1) It confuses them by teaching a different way of interpreting the Bible.(If they are in a setting where they are taught that the Bible is God's story of redemption)
2) Not every kid that watches these programs has adults around them that can teach them correct hermeneutics.

Amidst a flood of violence, sex immorality and immorality of every kind, it is refreshing to have some good morals presented. Why would anyone in mass media entertainment who rightly understands the gospel regret that?

I definitely see your point, but I still won't let my son watch Veggietales. The reason is because Veggietales (at least all the episodes I've ever seen) aren't just teaching moralism, they're teaching moralism by misapplying and misinterpreting Scripture. They are teaching to read/understand the bible incorrectly. For example, the stories such as David and Goliath, Daniel in the lion's den, etc aren't about being brave or "facing your giants". They're about God's faithfulness to His people and how He delivers His people from their enemies for His glory. God is the hero in the stories, not David or Daniel. At least when reading scripture through a redemptive historical hermeneutic this is true, but Veggietales completely tramples this.

If Veggietales wanted to simply relay stories about fictional children learning morals, then I'd probably be okay with that, but not when they are directly misinterpreting scripture.

I might add that in focusing on teaching moral lessons it also teaches an incorrect hermeneutic namely that the Bible's isn't God's story of redemption but that its principle purpose is to show us how to live. It skips from the first use of the law to the third use.

While our children may hear these passages correctly interpreted by us or at church we have to keep two things in mind.
1) It confuses them by teaching a different way of interpreting the Bible.(If they are in a setting where they are taught that the Bible is God's story of redemption)
2) Not every kid that watches these programs has adults around them that can teach them correct hermeneutics.

Thank you Brad. It seems you beat me to my point.

I definitely see your point, but I still won't let my son watch Veggietales. The reason is because Veggietales (at least all the episodes I've ever seen) aren't just teaching moralism, they're teaching moralism by misapplying and misinterpreting Scripture. They are teaching to read/understand the bible incorrectly. For example, the stories such as David and Goliath, Daniel in the lion's den, etc aren't about being brave or "facing your giants". They're about God's faithfulness to His people and how He delivers His people from their enemies for His glory. God is the hero in the stories, not David or Daniel. At least when reading scripture through a redemptive historical hermeneutic this is true, but Veggietales completely tramples this.

If Veggietales wanted to simply relay stories about fictional children learning morals, then I'd probably be okay with that, but not when they are directly misinterpreting scripture.

Good points.

For those following, no one is arguing that this series of commercial productions is intended to replace Bible stories (from Scripture), catechism, reading the Bible together as a family, etc. Or even the role of a parent teaching moral values to their children.

I don't even sense the creator ever intended them to. In fact, seeming to avoid explicit teachings about our Lord so as to make them more acceptable to other religions. His regret, if I'm understanding it correctly, is that he wasn't more biblical in context of what he presented. But even if he had been, it's still not a substitute for the Word, etc. It's entertainment with a wholesome theme, prepared for a mass market.

And the creator has taken heat for being "too Christian."

I look at this more like a bluegrass gospel song, a Kinkade painting, the Sugar Creek Gang stories, or even the Boy Scouts. They are all positive.

Charitably, he has been using his talents and abilities to go into this arena not quite as an exercise of religious education, but to provide wholesome entertainment to children.

Amidst a venue often devoid of it.:)

For that, I commend his efforts, and courage.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Brad and Andrew.

A program with good morals isn't my beef. The problem was that because these programs used Bible stories they got taken as programs that represented the heart of biblical Christianity. Hence, you got the following assumptions at work:

VeggieTales = What Christianity is all about
VeggieTales = Nice moral lessons
therefore...
Nice moral lessons = What Christianity is all about

Kids get way, way too much of this already in the typical Sunday school class or Bible story book, and the old VeggieTales that retold Bible stories only reinforced it.

That's not to mention how they frustrated real Bible teachers like myself by:

- Changing details and themes of the biblical accounts. ("No, class, Nebuchadnezzar's statue wasn't made of chocolate.")

- Adding silliness where it isn't called for. ("Class, let's get back to thinking about the real battle of Jericho and stop snickering about how the Israelites were pelted with Slurpees in the VeggieTales version.")

- Flirting, at the very least, with blasphemy. ("Kids, you really need to stop thinking of the Angel of the Lord who appeared to Gideon as a clown-like tomato. In the Bible, he's a fearsome character who in some places is called God.")

This is why I was quite happy when they started leaving Bible stories alone.

I look at this more like a bluegrass gospel song, a Kinkade painting, the Sugar Creek Gang stories, or even the Boy Scouts. They are all positive.

I can agree with this, but only when applied to the later programs that no longer used Bible stories for their plots.

I think we've lost the whole point.

In the words of Bob the Tomato (not to be confused with Larry the Cucumber):
VeggieTales: Where's God When I'm S-Scared? (1993)

I'm Bob. I'm a tomato and I'm here to help you.

:lol::lol::lol:

Of course. And my experience is that kids with parents such as yourself, who faithfully teach them the Bible, really don't have any problems when they watch stuff like VeggieTales, even if it's the Bible story episodes. They can handle it and know not to trust it as biblical teaching.

Your kid likes silly songs, maybe? Great! My kids do too. Those are wholesome, fun... and silly.

Sadly, for some other kids the franchise, as a whole, has not been helpful.

Always struggled with the attempt to illustrate redemptive truth through the use of produce...

I just winced at the sort of mockery of scripture.

Like the fish-slapping in Nineveh. The evil of Nineveh in "Jonah" was shown as people slapping each other with fish.

Arghh.

First, I'm glad the producer of the movies is wrestling with these things.

I think the Veggie Tales distorts stories of the Scriptures and I guess that's a big problem if parents are never actually teaching their children from the Scripture but the latter is the more significant issue.

How many people, for instance, don't know that Moses actually knew his mom because the Moses movie makes it seem like he was parted from her his whole life? Again, if we're just getting our theology from movies then that says less about the movie than the fact that we only get our theology from movies.

Like the fish-slapping in Nineveh. The evil of Nineveh in "Jonah" was shown as people slapping each other with fish.

Arghh.

That's not what bothered me there: what bothered me was "God is a God of second chances." I thank God every day that He doesn't give me another chance but instead sent grace and mercy in the person and work of Jesus Christ.

Yes, movies are re-written history. Witness "Titanic."

I think of the Disney movie, "Pocahantas," too, what a miserable effort. A great story ruined for a generations of children. Thankfully it was not so popular.

As a total aside to Joshua, how can you diss the SpongeBob? He has no anti-Christian agenda we can discern. And Squidward is obviously a stalwart Calvinist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back