Value of Beeke's Reformed Systematic Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolaScriptura

Puritanboard Brimstone
I have a lot of theology texts. A lot. I am not looking to expand my library just to flex on people who visit my office, nor am I looking for another book that says more of what I already know and have at 2 dozen other systematic texts and scores of other theology books already saying.

That said, I'm considering purchasing his set. What unique angle or perspective or presentation style does he bring that would lead his series to contribute to my knowledge (and library)? Or put another way, what need or hole in the systematic theology world does his work fill? Or what niche does he carve out for himself?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Truly, Beeke encompasses the entire history of mainstream Reformed Puritan thought into one systematic, whilst addressing much modern dilemma that the Church faces today. Much like the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, he has at the end of every chapter questions for application and further discussion. If I could only keep 3 systematics, it would be Wilhelmus, Bavinck, and Beeke in that order.

Beeke made the right move publishing through Crossway despite whatever drawbacks there was doing so, because he is putting historical Reformed and Puritan thought into the hands of the masses (New Calvinist, or whatever they may be), yet always strives to make much practical application for each doctrine.

Last edited:
Truly, Beeke encompasses the entire history of Reformed Puritan thought into one systematic, whilst addressing much modern dilemma that the Church faces today. Much like the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, he has at the end of every chapter questions for application and further discussion. If I could only keep 3 systematics, it would be Wilhelmus, Bavinck, and Beeke in that order.

Beeke made the right move publishing through Crossway despite whatever drawbacks there was doing so, because he is putting historical Reformed and Puritan thought into the hands of the masses (New Calvinist, or whatever they may be), yet always strives to make much practical application for each doctrine.
Thanks, that's helpful!

I will just add, it is a tremendous resource for training lay people. It introduces them to old voices like Calvin to Bavinck, interacting contemporary issues with robust systematic theology, bringing it with a devotional aspect. Every chapter is sized nicely and can be presented in itself. Stuff like the opinions of Barth (when mentioned) are explained in concise terms. It is based on his lectures at seminary which would explained why it is readable. In a way because it draws from many old voices, it helps enable the books you have by sometimes quoting the important texts that your other STs present. Sometimes, I feel like digging up an old book because of a good quote from it that I read as mentioned in Beeke's ST.

Last edited:
Beeke is most like a'Brakel in making ST practical, but less idiosyncratic than a'Brakel is in places (much as I admire a'Brakel). I would definitely recommend getting Beeke.

I'm in the middle of Volume 3.

It's very, very good, but it's very, very long. Still one volume to go.

Probably going to run some 5,000 pages by the time they get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back