Vacation Bible school: is it a Biblical ministry model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel, do you consider games and crafts to be a Biblically valid form of ministry?

Sure.

I know, I know...I'm pretty worldly. I'm one of those who thinks it's fine and good for children to have some fun at church.

But I'm more than happy to change my stance if you can show me anything in Scripture that even hints that it might be wrong for children to have fun at the church's property on a Monday morning.

WORD. And I don't even care if a VBS is primarily for outsiders. We should be ministering to outsiders.

If by "Biblical model" you mean supported by sound exegesis, then the answer would be No.*

The biblical model is to talk and teach about the Lord as you go about life, wherever you have opportunity. There are also special times of corporate worship, but these are never the extent of the church's witness or of a child's instruction.

So if you're evangelizing like Paul was, you preach the word in synagogues, in the marketplace, in front of the city elders, on a river bank, in jail... wherever people will come to listen.

If you're instructing children who're part of the covenant family, you do it as you walk along, as you eat, as you go to bed at night... whenever you have opportunity.

And if you're a church in a city where people will bring kids to be taught if you offer a vacation Bible school, then make use of the opportunity and teach those kids. Now if you use the time primarily to accomplish something other than sound biblical instruction and proclaiming the gospel, that's another matter.

Last edited:
This past week my church held a VBS. It was my first time participating in one being reformed, though the church is not. I have to say, I do not think VBS profits kids. All I could think about is how arminian the whole thing seemed. The adults act foolishly to do motions to so-called "worship" songs just to get the kids involved, we put on games and a drama and have snacks and crafts...for what??? To make Jesus seem more interesting to them? The focus of every VBS I have been to is not to minister, it's to entertain. The idea is to keep the kids interested enough that they hopefully pick up something about Jesus here or there...I hope I don't offend anyone but to me it just seemed arminian.

The Biblical warrant would be that there is no Regulative Principle of Ministry and that you are unBiblically (and without any warrant) binding the conscience of the Christian and the Church. Unless you can find a warrant for what actions​ the Church may take or not from Scripture and Church history, your founding premise is found lacking.

My biblical warrant is the lack of a detailed prescription of how ministry must be done.

Now that doesn't mean that we are free to do whatever we want, however we want. Wisdom and discretion is necessary.

I am not at all comfortable with the statement that there is a lack of detailed prescription of how ministry must be done. May we not at least start with the descriptions in Acts (i.e., 2:42 and the like)? From there, if we go to the pastoral epistles, we see an emphasis of "preaching of the Word" by an ordained minister. So, how can one say there is no description that is detailed enough?

Just because I may disagree with the practice of a particular church at this point (or at least investigating), doesn't mean that I am binding anyone's conscience.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

The biblical model is to talk and teach about the Lord as you go about life, wherever you have opportunity. There are also special times of corporate worship, but these are never the extent of the church's witness or of a child's instruction.

And just so everyone knows that I am willing to consider arguments, this mandate did occur to me last night while I was considering the issue. What Jack has brought up is the mandate that we must be heavenly-minded at all times in our life, that every opportunity is taken to speak of the things of the Lord. But, what I would still need to conclude is that this occupies a category that is still under the sphere of corporate church life and not (or, as well as) family.

It's a matter of distinctions of categories of function, really. I have already conceded that the activities described above are all lawful.

If you make memorizing Scripture into a fun game with children, how is this grievous, especially on a tuesday afternoon and not on the Lord's Day?

If you make memorizing Scripture into a fun game with children, how is this grievous, especially on a tuesday afternoon and not on the Lord's Day?

I agree with Pergamum, this is a much better idea than what I have seen pass for VBS. My experience, both going through it, and helping teach it has been that the "doctrine" consists of little more than trite stories that rarely deal with what the Bible teaches and an "easy believism" style of gospel presentation. When I taught the Heidelberg Catechism to 1st and 2nd grade kids in Sunday School, I found ways to make it fun and easy to be understood. No candy, prizes, etc. were necessary. Though I suppose being odd helped keep their attention. So with VBS, fun isnt the issue. Substance is the issue, and I think many who come out against it are not so much against VBS as they are against the lack of substance in most VBS's within their experience. I know that's my issue with VBS. :2cents:

As to the question, is it a Biblical model for ministry? I think the question is backwards. If we're going to have a VBS, how do we have one that follows a Biblical model for ministry. Otherwise the answer to your question depends on what occurs in each particular instance of VBS and for practical purposes becomes unanswerable. Once again though :2cents:

Last edited:

And just so everyone knows that I am willing to consider arguments, this mandate did occur to me last night while I was considering the issue. What Jack has brought up is the mandate that we must be heavenly-minded at all times in our life, that every opportunity is taken to speak of the things of the Lord. But, what I would still need to conclude is that this occupies a category that is still under the sphere of corporate church life and not (or, as well as) family.

It's a matter of distinctions of categories of function, really. I have already conceded that the activities described above are all lawful.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. I guess I don't get why there's this idea that we have to distinguish between the work/responsibility of the church and that of the family. The biblical picture of the church is one of such closeness (meeting in each other's homes, sharing possessions, etc.) that it doesn't fit to suggest there must be a "hands off" policy when it comes to helping to instruct each other's kids.

The NT church helps each other in every other activity, bears burdens and exercises oversight generally in all of life. To condemn programs like VBS out of principle, it seems to me one would have to show a scriptural mandate that the church must NOT instruct kids rather than be looking for an example that shows the church should do so. The general position of Scripture is that the church works together and children are to be included in the things of the kingdom.

Last edited:
I think it would be beneficial to remove the idea that VBS has taught easy-believism or other wrong ideas in your experience. I do not think it helps give an answer to the OP. For example, we all know of preachers who preach quite horrible things, but we do not interpret this as a sign that preaching is unBiblical. The same should go for VBS. Just because some people do it badly does not make it unBiblical.

My church, up until four years ago, was using one of those VBS-kits where it is broadly evangelical, but the Gospel is not told in clear enough terms of what Jesus saves us from.

A few in our church decided to ditch these kits and create their own VBS. It still includes skits, crafts, playtime, etc., but with a very clear Biblical message. The majority of children who attend are already from our church or from our nearby sister churches, but there are some who attend who have little-to-no Biblical background.

There was a question above asking if VBS would attract parents to start attending church. It can. Our church has at least one or two families who attended due in large part to VBS. This is a great opportunity to reach out in the community to those who otherwise may never attend. It may not be as direct as going door-to-door with the Gospel, but some who would close their doors to us via that route may instead open them via VBS. This is not a matter of adapting to the culture around us, but rather sharing the Gospel in various ways. We live in a sinful world, and often people who are unsaved don't want the directness of door-to-door ministry (and don't bother to go to worship), but are willing to bring their children for this (whether it's a "good environment," day care, or however they see it). If a church teaches the Word biblically, then we should use the VBS opportunity to its full advantage to share the Gospel with those who don't know Christ, both child and parent.

This past week my church held a VBS. It was my first time participating in one being reformed, though the church is not. I have to say, I do not think VBS profits kids. All I could think about is how arminian the whole thing seemed. The adults act foolishly to do motions to so-called "worship" songs just to get the kids involved, we put on games and a drama and have snacks and crafts...for what??? To make Jesus seem more interesting to them? The focus of every VBS I have been to is not to minister, it's to entertain. The idea is to keep the kids interested enough that they hopefully pick up something about Jesus here or there...I hope I don't offend anyone but to me it just seemed arminian.

What is so wrong about creating an enjoyable fun environment for children to come and learn about Jesus? I think it's important to remember that we are not talking about worship services here but a ministry of the church. Every VBS I have been at has been pushed as an opportunity for the kids in the church to bring their friends that would, otherwise, not bother coming to a church. If I, as a kid, had a choice between coming to a church that had snacks, games, crafts, and overall was fun along with hearing about Jesus or one that sang hymns accompanied by a piano and had to sit and listen to a 30 minute long sermon I will let you guess which one I would choose. Kids are used to being entertained and I totally understand that church is not a form of entertainment but to "shock" a kids environment of constant stimulation to none then you will have bored kids causing trouble.

I think it would be beneficial to remove the idea that VBS has taught easy-believism or other wrong ideas in your experience. I do not think it helps give an answer to the OP. For example, we all know of preachers who preach quite horrible things, but we do not interpret this as a sign that preaching is unBiblical. The same should go for VBS. Just because some people do it badly does not make it unBiblical.

Well said. I've had serious concerns about many VBS programs I've observed. They are similar to the concerns voiced in this thread. But this in itself does not mean the entire concept ought to be scrapped.

What is so wrong about creating an enjoyable fun environment for children to come and learn about Jesus? I think it's important to remember that we are not talking about worship services here but a ministry of the church. Every VBS I have been at has been pushed as an opportunity for the kids in the church to bring their friends that would, otherwise, not bother coming to a church. If I, as a kid, had a choice between coming to a church that had snacks, games, crafts, and overall was fun along with hearing about Jesus or one that sang hymns accompanied by a piano and had to sit and listen to a 30 minute long sermon I will let you guess which one I would choose. Kids are used to being entertained and I totally understand that church is not a form of entertainment but to "shock" a kids environment of constant stimulation to none then you will have bored kids causing trouble.

Well, in answer to your first question, I would simply direct you to the rest of your post. Kids need to be disciplined to be excited about learning about God solely because they are learning about God (and just because none are is certainly no excuse to do otherwise, it actually shows the greater need for it). Of course every kid would choose the games, snacks, and crafts etc... over learning about the Bible. It is counter-intuitive and, in my opinion, a misuse of church resources to have a week of entertainment for kids to learn more about Jesus. Undoubtedly, the children that attend the church that is holding a VBS are the vast majority in attendance. Therefore, if they do not profit from it, it would seem other avenues of ministry could be sought for for some of the other benefits of VBS (such as a family hearing of the church and visiting it and/or becoming members there). The only plausible excuse I can think of is an arminian mindset that says, we need to make Jesus look exciting so that the kids will like Jesus more. Whereas from a calvinistic perspective, we know our children are totally depraved and therefore, feeding their entertainment is simply feeding their entertainment. If this is not the case, what does VBS profit a child who attends that church and why is it necessary that this benefit be done in this fashion (which is generally a large expense mind you)?

Kids need to be disciplined to be excited about learning about God solely because they are learning about God (and just because none are is certainly no excuse to do otherwise, it actually shows the greater need for it). Of course every kid would choose the games, snacks, and crafts etc... over learning about the Bible. It is counter-intuitive and, in my opinion, a misuse of church resources to have a week of entertainment for kids to learn more about Jesus. Undoubtedly, the children that attend the church that is holding a VBS are the vast majority in attendance. Therefore, if they do not profit from it, it would seem other avenues of ministry could be sought for for some of the other benefits of VBS (such as a family hearing of the church and visiting it and/or becoming members there). The only plausible excuse I can think of is an arminian mindset that says, we need to make Jesus look exciting so that the kids will like Jesus more. Whereas from a calvinistic perspective, we know our children are totally depraved and therefore, feeding their entertainment is simply feeding their entertainment. If this is not the case, what does VBS profit a child who attends that church and why is it necessary that this benefit be done in this fashion (which is generally a large expense mind you)?

Leah, there's good insight in much of what you say here. I have often argued against silly themes for VBS and Sunday School using precisely this argument—that by attracting kids with, say, a spaceship theme we are suggesting spaceships are more exciting than Jesus. Well, they simply are not. Nothing is more exciting than Jesus.

I don't want to be too harsh with the VBS crowd, but I think the silly themes are often the indirect result of lazy teachers/leaders or teachers who aren't personally thrilled to be teaching Christ. I lay the blame on teachers because I myself am a children's teacher, and I've been there. It took years of spiritual growth before I got to the point where my overriding passion was to lift up Jesus with kids. And here's the thing: kids don't learn everything you teach. They only retain a fraction of it. What they retain is usually that which their teacher is most excited and passionate about. So it is our job to be personally excited about Jesus, not distracted by whatever silly theme is in use this year.

Yes, some kids are attracted to VBS or Sunday School because of the big fake spaceship at the classroom entrance. But even more of them are more powerfully attracted by teachers who're excited about the gospel, who teach it with heart, and who're thrilled to introduce Jesus to their students. So I say dump the spaceship and recruit teachers who really know Jesus. Then you'll have a successful VBS.

But—and this is important—this should not mean VBS and Sunday School cannot be fun. Jesus people are joyful and like having fun! Sometimes they get silly, just for fun. They like games and snacks, and why shouldn't they? Especially if each day of VBS is going to last more than an hour or so, some time for fun and to fellowship together (kids fellowship through play) is wholly appropriate.

Well, in answer to your first question, I would simply direct you to the rest of your post. Kids need to be disciplined to be excited about learning about God solely because they are learning about God (and just because none are is certainly no excuse to do otherwise, it actually shows the greater need for it). Of course every kid would choose the games, snacks, and crafts etc... over learning about the Bible. It is counter-intuitive and, in my opinion, a misuse of church resources to have a week of entertainment for kids to learn more about Jesus. Undoubtedly, the children that attend the church that is holding a VBS are the vast majority in attendance. Therefore, if they do not profit from it, it would seem other avenues of ministry could be sought for for some of the other benefits of VBS (such as a family hearing of the church and visiting it and/or becoming members there). The only plausible excuse I can think of is an arminian mindset that says, we need to make Jesus look exciting so that the kids will like Jesus more. Whereas from a calvinistic perspective, we know our children are totally depraved and therefore, feeding their entertainment is simply feeding their entertainment. If this is not the case, what does VBS profit a child who attends that church and why is it necessary that this benefit be done in this fashion (which is generally a large expense mind you)?

If you re read what I wrote I said that we should make learning about Jesus an enjoyable experience. Maybe we have been to different VBSs but my church almost always had tons more visitors than church people. I don't see how making the message medium accessible and enjoyable to kids is an "arminian" mindset. I don't see how letting kids enjoy learning about Jesus is a bad thing. You know what that teaches them? That Jesus isn't, as many non-Christians have said, the ultimate kill joy in life and that you wont have any fun after you become a Christian. What they should see is tons of joy and happiness from adults who are excited about teaching them about Jesus.

Leah, there's good insight in much of what you say here. I have often argued against silly themes for VBS and Sunday School using precisely this argument—that by attracting kids with, say, a spaceship theme we are suggesting spaceships are more exciting than Jesus. Well, they simply are not. Nothing is more exciting than Jesus.

I don't want to be too harsh with the VBS crowd, but I think the silly themes are often the indirect result of lazy teachers/leaders or teachers who aren't personally thrilled to be teaching Christ. I lay the blame on teachers because I myself am a children's teacher, and I've been there. It took years of spiritual growth before I got to the point where my overriding passion was to lift up Jesus with kids. And here's the thing: kids don't learn everything you teach. They only retain a fraction of it. What they retain is usually that which their teacher is most excited and passionate about. So it is our job to be personally excited about Jesus, not distracted by whatever silly theme is in use this year.

Yes, some kids are attracted to VBS or Sunday School because of the big fake spaceship at the classroom entrance. But even more of them are more powerfully attracted by teachers who're excited about the gospel, who teach it with heart, and who're thrilled to introduce Jesus to their students. So I say dump the spaceship and recruit teachers who really know Jesus. Then you'll have a successful VBS.

But—and this is important—this should not mean VBS and Sunday School cannot be fun. Jesus people are joyful and like having fun! Sometimes they get silly, just for fun. They like games and snacks, and why shouldn't they? Especially if each day of VBS is going to last more than an hour or so, some time for fun and to fellowship together (kids fellowship through play) is wholly appropriate.

Jack,

It's funny to me that you mention spaceships because my church's VBS this past week actually used an Answer's in Genesis curriculum. As I'm sure you know of AiG, there was actually important information in the curriculum, however, I would say for a fact that kids were more excited about the spaceships, and snacks, and crafts, and making foil creations far more than they were excited about God's Word. A 20 - 30 minute Bible lesson just gets lost in the nonsense to which the aforementioned things are, at the very best, a distraction.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

If you re read what I wrote I said that we should make learning about Jesus an enjoyable experience. Maybe we have been to different VBSs but my church almost always had tons more visitors than church people. I don't see how making the message medium accessible and enjoyable to kids is an "arminian" mindset. I don't see how letting kids enjoy learning about Jesus is a bad thing. You know what that teaches them? That Jesus isn't, as many non-Christians have said, the ultimate kill joy in life and that you wont have any fun after you become a Christian. What they should see is tons of joy and happiness from adults who are excited about teaching them about Jesus.

Joseph,

I think we both agree with your last statement. Hopefully I can better explain what I mean by an "arminian" mindset. It is safe to say that for every VBS, some of the major goals are to teach kids the Bible, perhaps have a few converts, etc..which are good goals. However, VBS sets out to accomplish these spiritual goals using natural means, as your previous post pointed out very well that children are much more inclined to these natural means. This, to me, looks a lot like arminians who appeal to man's intellect or mostly nature to help them make "a decision for Christ."

If we really want to get kids excited about the Bible, then your last statement summarizes well what we should do. We don't get them excited about the Bible because the games and such were exciting but because the Bible is indeed exciting. To this end, everything else about VBS is, at best, a distraction, not only for the kids who are in an atmosphere geared towards their entertainment, but to the adults teaching who can't lose the energy and excitement that the kids have experienced at every other station that night without having to discipline nearly every child because they don't understand that at the "Bible lesson station"they're supposed to actually learn something and not just "have fun." I think kids should, at times, have fun at with a Bible lesson mind you, but this does not mean it needs to be intermixed with other things which to any child actually make the Bible seem quite boring (they could be outside playing the water games you know).

Joseph,

I think we both agree with your last statement. Hopefully I can better explain what I mean by an "arminian" mindset. It is safe to say that for every VBS, some of the major goals are to teach kids the Bible, perhaps have a few converts, etc..which are good goals. However, VBS sets out to accomplish these spiritual goals using natural means, as your previous post pointed out very well that children are much more inclined to these natural means. This, to me, looks a lot like arminians who appeal to man's intellect or mostly nature to help them make "a decision for Christ."

If we really want to get kids excited about the Bible, then your last statement summarizes well what we should do. We don't get them excited about the Bible because the games and such were exciting but because the Bible is indeed exciting. To this end, everything else about VBS is, at best, a distraction, not only for the kids who are in an atmosphere geared towards their entertainment, but to the adults teaching who can't lose the energy and excitement that the kids have experienced at every other station that night without having to discipline nearly every child because they don't understand that at the "Bible lesson station"they're supposed to actually learn something and not just "have fun." I think kids should, at times, have fun at with a Bible lesson mind you, but this does not mean it needs to be intermixed with other things which to any child actually make the Bible seem quite boring (they could be outside playing the water games you know).
I understand how a kid could be "distracted" by water games and such but he could also be just as distracted in a church service because he can't be outside playing. I guess at this point I would say that we need to bring as many kids in to hear about Jesus as possible and trust God with working in their hearts. I think that is something we can both agree on.

I have been attending a Baptist Church my whole life, and I have thus taken a part in VBS in some way, shape, or form my whole life. At this point, I've been helping out with VBS for about 6 years. I've been a "go-for", an assistant teacher (didn't really teach, just helped make sure the kids behaved and such) and, this year, I got my first teaching job as Worship Rally leader and Music teacher. I hadn't really thought about how un-sound some of the doctrine really was until this year because I'm so new to Reformed theology and this is the first year of VBS I've attended since I became Reformed.
My friend Weston (who is a member here and who introduced me to Reformed Theology) attended as a helper for the last three days at VBS at my church. As a tradition, of sorts, on the "ABC" day of the VBS week (Wednesday) we get our pastor to teach the children about Salvation and its importance. Weston was practically cringing when our interim pastor presented them with the "gospel" that day, and I was a little too.
Also, all the teachers we use in the classrooms are people who have actually taught classes like Sunday School and such and, being a very small church, I've had nearly every one of them as my teacher at some point.
Being Baptists, no, they are not always doctrinally sound. And, as I said before, neither is the interim-pastor.
Also, not all the material is completely doctrinally sound either. Weston was analyzing each song to see how sound it was, and only one song, at just one place, did he refuse to sign or do the motions because of the line "I will lay down my life for the gospel of Christ to a world that needs to know what they're worth." He believed the underlned part of that gave the wrong implications.
All of that said and done, VBS isn't the greatest tool to use, no. (This whole thing is Lifeway's VBS, btw.) If you have the right teachers teaching sound doctrine, and pastors who preach sound doctrine, it can be a better tool, but it is still not the best tool, nor a great one.

(sorry if I ranted far too much. ^.^')

I had the same experience as you this summer. Since I was a baby I have attended a SBC. I attended Bible school from kindergarten through the sixth grade and for the past 12 years (except one) I have helped with Bible school. This was the first year I look at Bible School through reformed eyes and I was very disappointed by it. Many of the songs that were sung and the activities were "I" centered. The Bible story time was about 30 minutes and the rest of the time was spent eating, doing art and science projects, playing, or learning "spiritual movement" to songs.

If Bible school is taught with Bible centered songs and theology I believe it can be beneficial. But most of the time this is not the case. Many Bible schools lead children to believe they are saved and they go through life thinking they are okay because one summer they were "saved" at Bible School.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Now that I am reformed and look back at all they Bible schools I attended and have helped with I agree with this.

I think the main thing depends on how it's run. Many of the materials used, are unbiblical. The songs sang many times are unbiblical, and the people teaching shouldn't be teaching. It depends on the church, the people in it, and how it's ran.

Our church is doing our first VBS in a couple of months with our own curriculum. Looking forward to seeing what God does in the hearts of our kids (and their friends).

I think the main thing depends on how it's run. Many of the materials used, are unbiblical. The songs sang many times are unbiblical, and the people teaching shouldn't be teaching. It depends on the church, the people in it, and how it's ran.

the people teaching shouldn't be teaching

This is my main beef.

I have seen many unqualified people end up teaching VBS just because they volunteered to teach. I have seen housewives with bratty kids and only a seeming nominal Christian experience all of the sudden put in charge of the spiritual well-being of 50 kids just because they were a warm body.

I don't think the teachers need to be ordained or official church officers, but they do need to be selected and their spiritual qualifications reviewed.

the people teaching shouldn't be teaching

This is my main beef.

I have seen many unqualified people end up teaching VBS just because they volunteered to teach. I have seen housewives with bratty kids and only a seeming nominal Christian experience all of the sudden put in charge of the spiritual well-being of 50 kids just because they were a warm body.

I don't think the teachers need to be ordained or official church officers, but they do need to be selected and their spiritual qualifications reviewed.

With all teaching of kids, asking for volunteers is often asking for trouble. When the wrong person comes forward, it's awkward to tell them "no." I will sometimes issue a general call for volunteers to help with snacks or check-in or stuff like that. But I prefer to hand pick my teachers, which means I approach them rather than asking for volunteers to approach me. And if I don't get who I want, that usually means I just do more teaching myself.

I think that it can be beneficial and a bona fide ministry if done well with good intentions, however, far too often it is a recruiting tool (as opposed to evangelism) whereby we invite local families to use our free babysitting service so they will join our church to increase our rolls, seeker friendly style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back