Using PowerPoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
I wonder what other members of the PB think of using PowerPoint during their sermons. Having watched PP presentations where words or statements whistle and dance on to the screen I have always been reluctant to use it. I did use it for the first time just a few weeks ago and just last week I overhead someone say 'Even Stuart used PowerPoint' as if they were amazed that I had finally entered the 21st century. I have composed some self-imposed guidelines for using PowerPoint and if anyone wants to add further guidelines then please do so.

1. I am preaching a sermon not giving a lecture.
2. PowerPoint is the slave not the master.
3. Keep it as simple as possible.
4. PP fits around the sermon, the semon does not fit around the slides.
5. If the laptop/projector/memory stick fail can I carry on preaching without changing anything?
6. Whilst preaching is it distracting me? ie remembering to click or having to turn to look at the screen etc
7. Do not have too many slides.
8. Make sure your spelling is correct!
9. As with any illustration is it appropriate?

Last edited:
I don't use PowerPoint because I'm a Mac guy who uses Keynote, but yes, we use it in our services. (Including during the sermon.)

I'd say your self-imposed guidelines are excellent, Stuart. They are a good way to think through things.

I've always had positive responses from using Keynote (powerpoint for you pcers). I've found that it, along with well structured main points, helps the listeners (and the speaker for that matter) to stay focused, understand the proposition, and follow the progression of the sermon.

I don't like PowerPoint during sermons because it can be a crutch for the preacher, and distracts the listener from focusing on the preacher and his words. I find it better to put a very brief outline of my sermon in the bulletin, that is also used as a note taking page.

This may shock some of you, but I use PP during our worship services. Actually, it was being used before I came here (by the supply pastor who was trying -- w/o success -- to emulate church growth techniques). I took down the liturgical cloths and such, but I noticed that many of the older congregants actually like the hymns being displayed on PP b/c that's easier to read.

So, my compromise was to leave the hymns and psalms up, but nothing else. I've tried to use a sermon outline on PP, but it doesn't seem to work well, and Pastor Greco's comments about the distraction factor are well taken. I post either an outline or reflection questions about the sermon in the bulletin each week and go with that instead.

I find it better to put a very brief outline of my sermon in the bulletin, that is also used as a note taking page.

I like getting a short outline of the sermon, it can be very helpful. The powerpoint would be a bit distracting for me, but maybe profitable for others.

Nuthin' wrong with putting the key text large and out-front so that all can have eyes forward and still see the preacher and the text at the same time. For teaching PP is excellent, for sermons less so, but still can be useful.

I'm not opposed to the use of PP during the sermon as a matter of principle. I suppose that I can concieve of a multitude of ways to use it with which I'd be agreeable.

However, in practice, I've never seen PP used during a sermon in a way that did anything other than distract us from what was being said by the preacher. I suppose it stems from the "fact" that the pop culture surrounding PP sermon use is to be "cool" (read: entertaining).

Last edited:
I have seen 3-4 uses of PP where the only use was displaying the key texts....and this worked quite well and supplemented rather than stole from the preacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back