Unsure in My Pursuit of Pastoral Ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKarrer

Puritan Board Freshman
I am a 25 year old man who, knowing he is called into pastoral ministry, is unsure as to how to arrange my life at this particular moment.

Spiritually, I grew up in the Calvary Chapel non-denominational denomination; so, of course, I was not exactly encouraged to pursue seminary-type education. Through them, however, I did take complete a two-year program, with courses that used some reformed textbooks (specifically in preaching lab and hermeneutics). Looking back, I learned a lot; in fact, it was their instruction in some of these areas that was used of God, ultimately, to awaken me to reformed theology. For the past four years I have led college-age ministries, and taught a number of Sabbath Bible studies. In my own personal life, I devour solid, reformed resources; giving a minumum of 15-25 hours of study for the sake of pastoral knowledge and wisdom a week, while working full-time to finish paying off debts I accrued as an unbeliever.

I recently dropped membership at a Baptist church due to my being reformed. Unfortunately, there is not a single reformed church within 90 miles of where I live. The pastor was calvinistic, but terribly dispensational. Anyways, I enjoyed the family there, but I know it was right for me to leave. My dilemma is that now I do not have a place to excercise my gifting, and to develop my calling; and so it's left me a bit concerned with where I am to go from here.

Here is what I am really wrestling with right now. My family is encouraging me to pursue a descent career-type job, such as becoming a police officer, and to wait until God seems to present me with a pastoral opportunity. They believe I just need to get my debt paid off, and then possibly look into ministry-related schooling, etc. Another option would be to pursue ministry through the "Sovereign Grace" network of churches, which is led by C.J. Mahaney. This would mean I would have to move 90 miles east, intern at a Sovereign Grace church, and after spending some time there, and receiving a recommendation from their elders, going to the SG's "Pastor's School". From the PS I would be placed into a church somewhere.

Does this sound like a no-brainer? Part of me is so sure; but the other half thinks I could possibly get hired as a cop, save money, and eventually have the finances to pursue a degree (Im opposed to the idea of me going into a ridiculous amount of debt). As a cop I wouldn't be able to lead my current study consistently, due to the demands of the schedule. Any wisdom for me would be appreciated; especially from church elders and leaders.

you said this in your post
I recently dropped membership at a Baptist church due to my being reformed. Unfortunately, there is not a single reformed church within 90 miles of where I live. The pastor was calvinistic, but terribly dispensational. Anyways, I enjoyed the family there, but I know it was right for me to leave. My dilemma is that now I do not have a place to excercise my gifting, and to develop my calling; and so it's left me a bit concerned with where I am to go from here.
With no reformed church in the area,you withdraw from a church with a calvinistic pastor? wrong end times view, dispensational.
You are young.Have you attempted to work through these things with the pastor? Who other than yourself has recognised your Gift,or gifts?
Were you considered for the office of deacon? Do others see the biblical qualifications that you believe to be present?
If you had found a church that agrees with what you understand doctrinally. or you were in position to move closer to one, that might be a different story.
Maybe some of the elders in here can offer you some idea of how to proceed.
I would not leave a local assembly[even with the apparent defects you speak of] until I had another place to fellowship.

Anthony,
Thanks for your reply. Though my former pastor was a calvinist, he did not preach on the doctrines of grace. The most he had ever done was teach 2 Sunday evening studies on predestination. Never a sermon on any of them during the Sunday morning service. Not one.

Besides this, he was not puritan-like at all in his preaching. His sermons were much more like a Rick Warren, or maybe even a Chuck Swindoll, than a John Calvin, or a John MacArthur. I hope you see the disctinction Im drawing. Im not saying his caliber of preaching was low, but that he did not preach the whole counsel of God.

As far as the church's dispensationalism goes: it was my pastor's decision that I should leave. He didn't even realize me being covenantal meant I believe in One People of God, though I had told him I believe in what is known as covenant theology several months ago. We talked in more detail a few weeks back, and it was his opinion that not being dispensational would make it difficult for me to pursue my calling at that church.

As I noted in my original post, I began pursuing pastoral ministry at a church I attended prior to this one I recently left. It was at this church that I was told I was gifted at teaching and leading; that is why I attended there 2 yr program. Since then, I have had a number of pastors and laymen alike tell me that God has seemed to gift me to shepherd. Several of my previous elders, from both churches, told me they believe I am qualified, and that I ought to pursue this calling.

I am in a position to move to a church that I agree with doctrinally. I noted that towards the end of my original post.

Thanks for explaining a bit more. I understand and agree with what you have done .It sounds very sad indeed that they were not open to search the scripture.
Perhaps someone else knows of a work closer than 90 miles away.
I will try to find one online.

I recently dropped membership at a Baptist church due to my being reformed. Unfortunately, there is not a single reformed church within 90 miles of where I live. The pastor was calvinistic, but terribly dispensational.

I recently did the exact same thing! Exact same situation with my former pastor too.
Although my wife and I have a 25 mile commute to the PCA church we joined. I do feel for you brother!

I will pray that the Holy Spirit guides you to your ministry, and I know for a fact that He will. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back